Keyboard problem S4403

SOLVED
48 REPLIES 48
AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 1 of 49
Message 1 of 49

Keyboard problem S4403

I have a problem with my keyboard and hope someone can help.

Recently I had an update to my VPN fail. The installer automatically rolled back the installation, but this did not complete correctly and, after rebooting twice I noticed various problems with my notebook. I have succeeded in resetting the icon spacing on the task bar and the line spacing in File browser, but I have a problem with the keyboard occasionally repeating characters as I type. Usually it only repeats one character but occasionally it will repeat the last two characters so that for example "the" comes out as "ththe". I know my typing is not perfect but this is much more frequent that before and I never repeated two characters like this.

I have tried changing the repeat key delay setting in Windows but it does ntoto help. [I left ntoto in as an example that just happened, I mistyped not as nto (a common mistake for me😁) but it came out as ntoto].

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

S4403 - MD 61325, Windows 10 Home v20H2, build 19042.804, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

48 REPLIES 48
daddle
Superuser
Message 41 of 49
Message 41 of 49

@AndrewP 

Yes, the Touchscreen and Touchpad are HIDs also.

But on my P2214T (with Touchscreen and Touchpad) the HID Event Filter entry has disappeared as well after the Update to Win 20H2.

So there are some other Win Updates responsible for this.
And by the way, the naming of the filter driver has changed to

--> "Intel(R) Corporation - HIDClass - 2.2.1.384"

Except an inf install "into the blue" which is the only way, if this "Intel HID Event Filter" subcatagorie isn't there anymore, you cannot start a driver update by means of the device manager

Not the first extreme strange Intel-Update; last autumn it was the Intel Media Update, which rendered a lot of Realtek Soundchips useless and killed the sound. It took months to get it solved.

cheers, daddle

PathMan
Trainee
Message 42 of 49
Message 42 of 49

Good Morning fellas!

An update from me! My issue with this was fixed on the 12th March, but reappeared this morning (26th March).

I went into Device Manager to look at the driver and it had updated to the latest version. However,  on this occasions I have the option to "Roll back" the driver (that option wasn't there previously). I clicked on this option and reported why I was rolling back (repeating letters when typing), and it rolled back to the previous version immediately!

I have re-booted and the problem is resolved

I don't know whether or not I will regularly have to keep doing the same?

Regards and thanks for all your help!

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 43 of 49
Message 43 of 49

@PathMan  thanks for the warning. So far mine has remained on 2.2.1.383 but I guess a Windows update in the next day or two will update this and break my keyboard also. I hope when they get to 2.2.1.385 they will have fixed this.

Gehringer
Retired
Message 44 of 49
Message 44 of 49

Hi @PathMan ,

sometimes drivers updates may interfere on the functioning of the device and this is why the rollback function is available, BUT since the update originates from the manufacturer, it should not cause a malfunction.

If it does, then normally there is a patch released to fix this afterwards.

Regards,

Gehringer 

Herman-
Beginner
Message 45 of 49
Message 45 of 49

Hi,

Similar problem here: double characters (also enter, space, backspace, tab, etc...) when typing.

Occurred after driver update "Intel(R) Corporation - HIDClass - 2.2.1.384" (HID Event Filter)

Problem solved after re-installing "previous driver version" (in my case 2.2.1.372)

For now, I am not going to try to install version 383, I will wait and see what Windows will do in upcoming updates.

Thanks to the Medion Community for pointing me in the right direction!

S4401 - MD61269 - Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.928 - Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 46 of 49
Message 46 of 49

I just tried upgrading to Windows 11 but this broke the keyboard again. As I did not like other aspects of Windows 11 (icon sizes, task bar, file explorer line spacing, etc. which don't seem to be adjustable in Win 11, at least it did not work on my system when I tried to correct them, reminiscent of the problem a year ago) I have rolled back the upgrade without looking at the drivers, so I don't know which version Windows 11 was using. Note that the restore files to roll back to Windows 10 are only available for 10 days. After that you would have to do a clean install.

PathMan
Trainee
Message 47 of 49
Message 47 of 49

I have resisted upgrading to Windows 11 in case of problems, so I will stay well clear! Thanks for the warning Andrew!

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 48 of 49
Message 48 of 49

At least the roll-back worked!

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 49 of 49
Message 49 of 49

Hi @AndrewP 

Sorry,deleted, wrong Post

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
48 REPLIES 48