cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQs on how to fix Bluetooth problems under Windows 10

FAQs on how to fix Bluetooth problems under Windows 10

If there are connection problems, you should first determine whether the problem is caused by the receiver in the computer or notebook or whether the external device is not working.

A counter-test with another Bluetooth-enabled device (loudspeaker, mouse, keyboard, smartphone, etc.) is recommended. If it can be paired, the fault lies with the external device. If another device is also not connected, the receiver should be checked.

• Why is the external device not working?

• Firstly, make sure that the device is switched on and, if present, that the rechargeable battery or batteries are charged.

Disconnect and reconnect the device.
    • To do this, open the settings (Windows-button + I)
    • Click on Devices
    • Click on Bluetooth and other devices
    If the non-functioning device is displayed, click on it and select Remove device. - Then click on the plus at the top in front of Add Bluetooth or other device.
    • Click on Bluetooth
    • Select your device and set it up as described in the manual

If the device is not displayed, try the following steps:
    Perform a complete Windows restart as described in this german FAQ.

Start the troubleshooting.
    • To do this, change the settings (Windows-button + I)
    • Click on Update and security
    • Click on Troubleshooting
    • Select Bluetooth from the list and follow the instructions

If these steps are unsuccessful, test the device on another computer to rule out a defect.
  • Why is the Bluetooth receiver not working?

• Activate Bluetooth

Check whether Bluetooth is activated.
    • To do this, open the settings (Windows-button + i).
    • Click on Devices
    • Click on Bluetooth and other devices
    • Activate Bluetooth if necessary
    If Bluetooth is activated, carry out a complete Windows restart as described in this german FAQ. If the restart is unsuccessful, perform a residual current discharge as described in this FAQ.
    If this is also unsuccessful, start the troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting

• To do this, open the settings (Windows-button + I)
    • Click on Update and security
    • Click on Troubleshooting
    • Select Bluetooth from the list and follow the instructions

Driver reinstallation

It often helps to reinstall the driver. Proceed as follows:
    • Open device-manager
    • Open the branch Bluetooth
    • Right-click on the Bluetooth device and select Uninstall
    • Set the checkbox in Uninstall driver software
    Then perform a complete Windows restart. Windows should automatically reinstall the driver after the restart. If this is not the case, open the Device Manager again and click on Action at the top of the menu then click Search for changed hardware.

The Windows Bluetooth service

Another potential source of errors is the Windows Bluetooth service. To restart this, first call up the services dialogue. To do this, press the key combination Windows-Taste + Q, type in Services and start the dialogue from the hit list. Click on the Bluetooth support service service with the right mouse button and select Restart. If the service is not started (Running is missing in the column to the right), click on Start.

The Bluetooth device cannot be found

If Bluetooth is active, but other devices cannot establish a connection, your own computer may not be visible. In this case, right-click on the Bluetooth icon in the Info Centre and then on Open settings. In the Bluetooth settings, click on More Bluetooth options and set all three checkboxes in the next dialogue.
  • How can I show or hide the Bluetooth icon in the notification area?

• If the Bluetooth symbol is missing in the info area, it can be displayed again as follows:

Open with the key combination Windows-Taste + I the settings, click on devices and then on the right-hand side click More Bluetooth options. Set the checkbox to Display Bluetooth icon in the notification area.
    The symbol is then displayed if Bluetooth is activated.

To hide the icon, right-click on the icon in the notification area. In the context menu that appears, you will find the command Remove symbol.
  • Why is the audio quality of my Bluetooth headphones poor?

• Sometimes Windows does not install the correct drivers when pairing the headphones. To check this, proceed as follows:
    • To do this, open the settings (Windows-Taste + I)
    • Open the System
    • Click on Sound

Check the selection under Output device. If the headphones are listed there with the addition Hands-Free, it should be disconnected and recoupled. If the process was successful, the corresponding entry should contain the addition Stereo.

Version history
Last update:
‎22.04.2024 10:21
Updated by:
Contributors