Charge battery with USB C possible?

10 REPLIES 10
Orman
Trainee
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Charge battery with USB C possible?

Hi, 

I just bought a Medion Akoya S14409 MSN 30033486. I’m wondering if it’s possible to charge the battery on this laptop through the USB C port? 

10 REPLIES 10
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

@Orman 

No you can not. In the Manual on page 19/ 20 the connections are explained. Following this you only have  USB C-Points without the possibility to charge the Laptop through them which would need PD up to 100 W.

Cheers, daddle

Orman
Trainee
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

@daddle 

Yes I know I’ve read the manual, but on the website product page if you go to to this link here 

If you scroll down under “Connections/Anschlüsse” it says 

• 1 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Typ-C mit Ladefunktion**

The only difference I see is that it’s not the same MSN, and the laptop on the product page comes with Windows 10 Home pre-installed, mine came with Windows 11 Home. But all other specifications seems to be identical?

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

@Orman 

Ok, I am sorry, I can not provide further information. For both MSN the manual is the same, and no Charging function is marked. Just that normally an USB-C port with PowerDelivery (charging function for the laptop itself) is usually marked in the manual.

So in your advertisment link it is said the one C-port ist capable. So just try it. But you should need a PD Charging Adapter with at least  65 Watt. 

But you also ould ask a moderator first, eg @Andi -

Cheers, daddle

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Hi @Orman ,

I checked tech detaIs and found out the following information regarding the connectivity options for the MEDION AKOYA S14409 laptop:

1x Thunderbolt 4 with DisplayPort and Power Delivery
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C with "Charging functionality" (I personally interpret this as "Power Delivery")

1 x HDMI® 1.4
1 x Mic-in / Audio-Out Combo
1x DC-IN

Cheers

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
stinaguth
New Voice
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

My S14409 charges on both ports, however the left (Thunderbolt) doesn't work reliable with my 67W charger. I suspect that the charger goes down to 15W for some reason after some time and thus doesnt supply enough for the battery to charge.

daddle
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@stinaguth

You should express  more defined:

@stinaguth  schrieb:

My S14409 charges on both ports, however the left (Thunderbolt) doesn't work reliable with my 67W charger. I suspect that the charger goes down to 15W for some reason after some time and thus doesnt supply enough for the battery to charge.

Which two ports are both charging? Please define them properly, that we can know what you mean.

In your link und Connections/Anschlüsse are two asterix on the line: 

• 1 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Typ-C mit Ladefunktion**

For the two asterix it is said further below :

" **Ladefunktion können nur mit einem Adapter genutzt werden (nicht im Lieferumfang enthalten). Der Adapter muss zum Laden der „USB Power Delivery“-Spezifikation entsprechen". This means you can not charge with any adapter, you do need one which confines to the power deliver (PD) specifications,

What sort of  Adapter (name, technical data) did you use to try the charging function? This is not an adapter which comes with the laptop. You have to buy it separately. And it should have the same power (1ßßW=as your normal wall socket  charging adapter.

daddle

stinaguth
New Voice
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Well... Sure, I'll express myself a bit more.

Which two ports are both charging? Please define them properly, that we can know what you mean.

This thread is about USB-C Ports of S14409 and if they can be used to charge said machine, so I did refer to the 2 USB-C Ports you'll find on the left and right sides of the S14409 (and not the audio jack). I hope that defines it properly enough.

And as I've already written:

@stinaguth@stinaguth wrote:

My S14409 charges on both ports...

So I can charge my S14409 with both ports and one of them is also a TB4 port (the left one).

But as I've written the left one (TB4) does not reliable work with a 67W charger:

@stinaguth@stinaguth wrote:

... however the left (Thunderbolt) doesn't work reliable with my 67W charger.

It just stops charging after some time.

The right port (non-TB4) does work very well with the same charger.

@daddle wrote:

What sort of  Adpter (name, technical data) do you use to try the charging function? This is not an adapter which comes with the laptop. ou have to buy it separatele. And it shuld have the same power as your normal wall socket  charging adapter.

Its a 67W charger for USB-C so its obviously not the one which comes with the laptop (which has 65W and isnt compatible with USB-C).

Its from Xiaomi and has a fast (max. 67W) and normal (15W) output and I suspect that a switch from the former to the later causes the observed behavior but no idea why that happens only at the TB4 (the left port).

I've tested a 65W HP, a 65W Lenovo and a 96W Apple charger (yes, all USB-C) as well and they all seem to charge on both ports. However, I havent tested them long enough to rule out a similar behavior as with the Xiaomi 67W-TB4(left USB-C port)-combo. If you need more technical data on these chargers you will probably find them online.

Just to make it clear: I'm taking about my personal experience with the model I have. Other S14409 might behave different as it seems that they are not necesserily identical and can have different configurations (e.g. RAM, Display, SSD and maybe more)

daddle
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

@stinaguth

Thanks for the extensive explanations. But in the service page only one of the USB ports is marked for PD, charging the laptop battery; exception may be the Thunderbolt 4  port.

So thats  why I wondered about  you saying you can charge through the USB-C port on  both sides. Because there are two Gen 3.2 baut Typ A, but only one USB C. The other is a Thunderbolt4 port.

@stinaguth  schrieb:

Well... Sure, I'll express myself a bit more.

This thread is about USB-C Ports of S14409 and if they can be used to charge said machine, so I did refer to the 2 USB-C Ports you'll find on the left and right sides of the S14409 (and not the audio jack). I hope that defines it properly enough.

Thks, but I do know indeed it's about a S14409. All  S14409 are the same, utilizing the same Lengda mainboard!

Do not get mixed up with the other model  E14409

Thats why I asked which ports you mean. The small medion database says in the description of the ports this: 

• 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (charging)
  • 1 x HDMI 2.0
  • 1 x Thunderbolt 4
  • 1 x 3.5 mm combo jack(microphone/headphone)

--> https://bda.medion.com/bda_s14410_s14409_en.pdf

There is on page 20 ff  one port a Thunderbolt port on the right side. But nowhere, not even in the manual, is anything explained about a charging function of one of the ports, which normally is done.

More I can not add to your problem, which I do not fully understand. It's not just for fun, that except from  charging through an USB -C port there is a power supply port for main charge by  DC in.

If you have more questions, you should ask a moderator directly.

Cheers, daddle

Edit:

Where did you buy your Laptop?

You know this site --> https://www.mydealz.de/deals/medion-akoya-s14409-14-fhd-ips-100-srgb-i5-1135g7-16gb-ram-512gb-tastat...

You know this pot ? --> https://www.mydealz.de/deals/medion-akoya-s14409-14-fhd-ips-100-srgb-i5-1135g7-16gb-ram-512gb-tastat...

stinaguth
New Voice
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Your absolutely right! And I was left (confused).

The manual mentions the TB4 port (using a USB-C connection) on the right which makes sense as its marked with a thunderbolt thunder. I can flawlessly charge through this port with all chargers Ive tested.

The port on the left side seems to be the normal USB-C port indicated with a standard USB pictogram. However, it also has a thunder next to it but this thunder is a different thunder than the usual thunderbolt thunder. I guess this thunder should indicate that you can charge through this port.

It also has a display pictogram next to it which is why I thought this is the TB4 port. As already mentioned, I can charge through this port as well but have troubles with one of my chargers. This port is mentioned on the medion web page as having "charging functionality" compatible with PD chargers.

The display pictogram probably belongs to the HDMI port (which already has an HDMI pictogram) instead.

Stormy weather... Quite confusing.

To sum it up: You can probably charge through both ports depending on your charger. If you really want to do that is another question.

Oh, and there is only 1 USB-A port. On the left side... No just kidding, its on the right ;).

I bought my S14409 from the shop linked on mydealz.de

10 REPLIES 10