SOLVED
31 REPLIES 31
Scoobyfizz
Apprentice
Message 1 of 32
Message 1 of 32

MD 63810 Tablet mode

Hi,

I have just bought one of these new from Aldi. One of the things I bought it for was the fact that it hinged into a tablet, or at least shout.

When I flip it nothing happens , the screen rotates as it should but it does not go into tablet mode and the keyboard and mouse still are working. I thought that fliping the screen, according to the instructions would put it in tablet mode and would also sensibly lock the keyboard and track mouse to stop it working when in this mode. I have searched everywhere in windows to sort this out but nothing.

I have looked at the settings in tablet mode which are set as -

sign in - use the appropriate mode for my hardware 

and when I use device as a tablet - always switch to tablet mode.

I have also performed a reset to no avail.. I suspect it is probably somewhere down the line something to do with the latest version of windows 10 which windows update did...

31 REPLIES 31
daddle
Superuser
Message 21 of 32
Message 21 of 32

@Scoobyfizz 

I do understand that 3 weeks seems a long time, but first time you took part here was 16th of june, 13 days ago. And as I said, it takes a bit to sort things out

So when did you ask for returning in the  defective NB?

Then you said  you have a  PC E3220 (63810). I do only find a E 3222 (MSN 30031523, MD 63810). But this number will be fine.

With this you can check the database on the Medion Service page UK. There you can download the Manual as well.

Your Notebook is equipped with a 128 GB SATA M2 SSD; seeing it is a small M2 only, there will not be two partitions. If yes, it would be on D where the driver folder is situated. And this would not be overwritten if you make a clean Windows install on drive C.

But most probably there is only one partition; and on this definitely has been  a folder Driver, 

Check with your new PC!  😉

Cheers, daddle

Scoobyfizz
Apprentice
Message 22 of 32
Message 22 of 32

What would be useful is if the support page had the drivers to download. it only has the manual as it says windows update provides the drivers. The support page does infer that windows update has all the drivers it will need. 

I went straight back to Aldi to get a return set up which was done last Thursday. The new one is arriving today. I am going to take a backup of the SSD before I boot it into windows just to make sure  I have a clean backup and then will do one after first boot again to make sure. I might even clone it to a 500gb m2 ssd I have and swap eventually once I know it is working.

And again I do apologise it was 2 weeks as it took over a week to arrive from Aldi in the first place as I ordered it at the end of May on the 29th May.

daddle
Superuser
Message 23 of 32
Message 23 of 32

@Scoobyfizz 

Making an Image is a good idea (you can do this in Windows Settings -> Update and Security  --> Back up --> Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7)  (little blue text underneathh on this page).

And  you also have a space underneath to put in a second M2 SSD Drive -SATA Only

Ok and right, ordering and delivery has nothing to do with waiting  time for Support or (waiting for an answer  in  the community). Apologies granted ! 😉

daddle

Scoobyfizz
Apprentice
Message 24 of 32
Message 24 of 32

@daddle

"And  you also have a space underneath to put in a second M2 SSD Drive -SATA Only" Not with this model the only drive is the one in the bottom and is occupied with the 128gb ssd. Which is also why the manual on the medion web site is also wrong from that point of view as it also says this is not occupied but on the e3222 it is. The manual that came with the laptop is actually different to the one on the support page!

the thing that scuppered the last one was the restore did not work hence the need to do a re-install.. 🙂 this time though I will clone to a new m2 before I backup and then I will have two sources of the initial set up...

daddle
Superuser
Message 25 of 32
Message 25 of 32

@Scoobyfizz 

Yes., I am sorry , I got mixed up. there are a lot of models. Some have built in eMMC, plus the extra M2 Space, others only have  the M2 SSD. But to be honest, in this manual the passage where stood you could add an additional M2 is deleted.

daddle

Scoobyfizz
Apprentice
Message 26 of 32
Message 26 of 32

So... out of the box the new laptop does as it should.. hoorah.. but it is running version 2004.

By the way it happened again the initial backup on a virgin drive without running windows setup does not work. I had to go in an set windows up.. however I have a clone of my 128gb m2 ssd which I am using now in the laptop just in case I need to go back but so far so good...

Now to run windows update and see....

Windows updates ok at version 2004 and does not seem to blitz anything

Not sure whether  to go to 20H2 or 21H1 as I think tablet mode got an overhaul for one of them

Still having issues with backups not wanting to restore yet clones to. hey ho.. still ok so far. Anyone know the significance of the recovery directory on the C drive. Is it related to customised drivers etc.

Scoobyfizz
Apprentice
Message 27 of 32
Message 27 of 32

Well all good.. updated to 21H1 with no problems and backed up.

I am presuming a reset windows will also now still work and I would be interested to know how to do a clean install (if I keep the drivers directory from the C drive).

daddle
Superuser
Message 28 of 32
Message 28 of 32

@Scoobyfizz 

Congratulations.

A clean install you do with a MediaCreationTool (MCT) made USB Stick, size min 8 GB.

Check in Google for Win 10 Iso.

Cheers, daddle

Scoobyfizz
Apprentice
Message 29 of 32
Message 29 of 32

and perhaps this time don't delete the partition with the windows installation in! or have the drivers folder saved off first 🙂 I would presume I just run the drivers after the reinstall.. I seem to have posted an incomplete post which I have now edited. I will have an experiment. I have a backup and a clone of the ssd now anyhow so I can't possibly mess it up..

daddle
Superuser
Message 30 of 32
Message 30 of 32

@Scoobyfizz  schrieb:

and perhaps this time don't delete the partition with the windows installation in??? of have the drivers folder saved off!

???

You wrote yourself you would :  (if I keep the drivers directory from the C drive).

That's why I didn't repeat it.

Second sentence I don't know what you wanted to say.

31 REPLIES 31