Did you mean: 

P6645 (MD 61361) UK BIOS Update from BIN file

9 REPLIES 9
HaarisQureshi
Beginner
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

P6645 (MD 61361) UK BIOS Update from BIN file

Hi - I just had Medion email me a BIN file on request that has the latest BIOS update from my device.

How do I use this to update my BIOS? I have moved it to a USB flashdrive however when I access my BIOS I have difficulty finding an option that lets me update from a USB flashdrive. 

Advice would be appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Hi @HaarisQureshi ,

have you tried to reply to the e-mail demanding a BIOS exe file?

Maybe it is worth trying before learning new tricks whilst dealing with something as sensitive as BIOS.

Regards,

Gehringer

HaarisQureshi
Beginner
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

That is fair @Gehringer. Emailed them, but not heard anything back. Will ring tomorrow if I don't hear anything back. Cheers. 

HaarisQureshi
Beginner
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Just to update, Medion apparently don't know how to use the BIN file to update the BIOS nor can they provide an EXE file. 

They have signposted me to asking on a forum, as they do not appear to know ...

Gehringer
Retired
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Hi @HaarisQureshi ,

a BIN file is an ancient image file. It is the old time equivalent to the ISO file that we use nowadays.

Unfortunately you can't open it directly, you will need either to burn it to a disc or to mount it to a virtual drive.

Please find instructions on how to do so using this link here

Be aware that any procedure to update/flash the BIOS should be performed at your own risk, therefore Medion can't accept any responsibility on the outcome of your try.

Regards,

Gehringer

Gehringer
Retired
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

By the way @HaarisQureshi ,

can you please confirm you've received the latest BIOS version which is 2.15?

Regards,

Gehringer

HaarisQureshi
Beginner
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Hi @Gehringer,

I had tried using both PowerISO and DAEMON Tools Lite to virtually mount it and neither worked - however I have seen in your link instructions that suggest converting it to an ISO first so I will try this. 

HaarisQureshi
Beginner
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

@Gehringer No they sent me 2.13 apparently. 

HaarisQureshi
Beginner
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

@Gehringer Neither using WinCDEmu or MagicISO to convert it to an ISO worked - they both gave error messages - it seems no software considers the BIN file I was sent to be an actual CD image and therefore will neither mount it nor convert it. 

I will also add the emails have also advised me to try and use the BIN file within Device Manager - but going to the update wizard and selecting the folder the BIN file is in doesn't do anything (it does not detect a later version). 

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Hello @Kathleens and welcome

Nice that you are interested in the community and its topics.

You probably didn't know it yet, but advertising for third-party products is not allowed.

Have fun here.

Bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
9 REPLIES 9