Keyboard problem S4403

SOLVED
48 REPLIES 48
AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 1 of 49
Message 1 of 49

Keyboard problem S4403

I have a problem with my keyboard and hope someone can help.

Recently I had an update to my VPN fail. The installer automatically rolled back the installation, but this did not complete correctly and, after rebooting twice I noticed various problems with my notebook. I have succeeded in resetting the icon spacing on the task bar and the line spacing in File browser, but I have a problem with the keyboard occasionally repeating characters as I type. Usually it only repeats one character but occasionally it will repeat the last two characters so that for example "the" comes out as "ththe". I know my typing is not perfect but this is much more frequent that before and I never repeated two characters like this.

I have tried changing the repeat key delay setting in Windows but it does ntoto help. [I left ntoto in as an example that just happened, I mistyped not as nto (a common mistake for me😁) but it came out as ntoto].

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

S4403 - MD 61325, Windows 10 Home v20H2, build 19042.804, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

48 REPLIES 48
AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 21 of 49
Message 21 of 49

@toryglen  I went to https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=intel+hid+event+filter as suggested by @daddle. If you click on the Last Updated column heading it will sort newest to oldest. The 2.2.1.383 driver is near the bottom of the first page. There seems to be many versions on that site, I used the first.

toryglen
Apprentice
Message 22 of 49
Message 22 of 49

Thank you for that swift reply.

I will check this out, tomorrow morning.

I’ve been at my wits end, just getting the pc stripped back to basics.

Then going round in circles with the driver.

And test typing.

Thank you!

toryglen
Apprentice
Message 23 of 49
Message 23 of 49

@AndrewP @daddle 

Update:

I finally managed to get back to driver 2.2.1.383 from 2.2.1.384

I am not familiar with CAB files.

It has taken the best part of this morning, (3 hours)

I still don’t understand what I did,

or how 2.2.1.383 managed to show up in the driver update section.

As soon as I saw it. I highlighted it and clicked next.

Bingo.

I tried typing in an online notepad, seems good. No double typed letters.

Now the to re-install all my software.

A BIG THANK to both of you for helping me out.

I really appreciate you both taking your valuable time.

This has saved me going back and forth to Medion Support and Microsoft Support.

4CE45F0D-B457-40CB-97A2-6174BA89EC2B.jpeg

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 24 of 49
Message 24 of 49

@toryglen  glad you are making progress. It is an obscure problem that I would never have solved without @daddle's advice. A big thank you to him.

CAB files are just a compressed folder, like zip. If you have 7-Zip you can open them to see the contents. The Intel HID Event Filter CAB contains three files called hideventfilter.cat, hideventfilter.inf and hideventfilter.sys.

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 25 of 49
Message 25 of 49

@daddle  is there any (easy) way to report the problem with version 2.2.1.384 of the HID Event Filter driver? It does not seem to be a common problem, is there any point reporting it? But Toryglen and I cannot be the only ones experiencing this.

Thank you for your help with this issue.

@toryglen 

daddle
Superuser
Message 26 of 49
Message 26 of 49

@AndrewP 

The funny thing is, on the contrary other users had to install Version ....384, and V. ...383 was faulty!

May be it depends on the build-number of your Windows installation.

So far so good, now your S 4403 works allright.

daddle

PathMan
Trainee
Message 27 of 49
Message 27 of 49

I’m experiencing the exact same problem with my Akoya E3222 -MD63310 laptop

i have just registered the issue with Medion but found no solution so came her to this forum and have found your suggested fix, which I will now try!

wish me luck!

i will report back if successful!

PathMan
Trainee
Message 28 of 49
Message 28 of 49

@toryglen and @daddle 

Sorry chaps, I can't seem to get this thing sorted!

I have found the cab files and I thought I had extracted iit to a location on my hard  drive (Downloads)> 
However, when I go into Device Manager and select HID Keyboardd and try to Update the DDriver, it reports back thatat the best driver is s already installed?

Can you advise what I am doing wrong please?

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 29 of 49
Message 29 of 49

@PathMan 

Assuming this is the same problem, the issue is not with the keyboard driver but with the Intel(R) HID Event Filter. What version do you have of this driver? The most recent is 2.2.1.384, but this version did not work on my Akoya, I had to roll back to 2.2.1.383. The roll back should be available from the Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, then double click on the Intel(R) HID Event Filter entry and select the Driver tab. Roll Back Driver is one of the buttons there.

Good luck!

@daddle @toryglen 

daddle
Superuser
Message 30 of 49
Message 30 of 49

@PathMan 

You should not Select Hid Keyboard, but the catagorie Human Interface Devices  --> Hid Event Filter.

But if you are on the latest Win 20H2 Version, there might be no entry about Hid Event Filter anymore.

@AndrewP  Can you confirm  this? Which Win-Version and Build are you on?

Then just try an inf-install .Right Click on the decompressed inf

How to decompress Andrew has said in  his Post 24 

daddle

48 REPLIES 48