Charge battery with USB C possible?

10 REPLIES 10
Orman
Trainee
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Charge battery with USB C possible?

Hi, 

I just bought a Medion Akoya S14409 MSN 30033486. I’m wondering if it’s possible to charge the battery on this laptop through the USB C port? 

10 REPLIES 10
daddle
Superuser
Message 11 of 11
Message 11 of 11

@stinaguth  

@stinaguth  schrieb:

Your absolutely right! And I was left (confused).

The manual mentions the TB4 port (using a USB-C connection) on the right which makes sense as its marked with a thunderbolt thunder. I can flawlessly charge through this port with all chargers Ive tested.

The port on the left side seems to be the normal USB-C port indicated with a standard USB pictogram. However, it also has a thunder next to it but this thunder is a different thunder than the usual thunderbolt thunder.

Yes, a Thunderbolt 4  port should allow charging. But only if it is connected with the charge controller and BMS. 

The lightning symbol (your thunder icon) on the USB-C port signalizes basically that the port masters Power Delivery. But that doesn't say to what extent.

For the charging function it must be designed for 100 Watt,  and must be connected to the battery management controls.

What the USB C port alone cannot do automatically, even with the lightning symbol. It must have been specifically configured for the charging function, and zhis communicated by the manufacturer.

Which didn't happen properly with the S14409 model, which gave rise to the misunderstandings.

Cheers, daddle

x

10 REPLIES 10