Did you mean: 

Erazer P6689 - cannot boot from USB

28 REPLIES 28
PK_1
New Voice
Message 1 of 29
Message 1 of 29

Erazer P6689 - cannot boot from USB

I am trying to boot my laptop using an ubuntu USB.

• I can access the BIOS/UEFI either by holding down shift when I restart, or by clicking through to advanced system settings.
  • I created the flash boot drive on this PC so I know it recognises it, but in the boot order there is no option for a USB
  • My bios is 'Insyde BIOS version 210'

28 REPLIES 28
sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 2 of 29
Message 2 of 29

Welcome to the forum,

I'm using same laptop model and I just tested the boot options. Holding SHIFT while click on restart it does the trick unless you have some windows settings lock or disable the options.

I posted the picture because that's where the SHIFT+Click does the trick while creating a reboot shortcut (C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -t 00 -f -r) doesn't.

Second way to access boot menu is to press F10 while the laptop starts (when erazer logo appears on screen)

To access UEFI (BIOS) press F2 when logo first appear on the screen during start up.

Cheers.

PK_1
New Voice
Message 3 of 29
Message 3 of 29

Hi, Thank you for replying 🙂

I can access the boot menu no problem, but my usb stick is not listed as a boot option. Unfortunately I don't have another PC to test it on, but in Disk Management the usb stick doesn't have a drive letter assigned but it does have a partition that says "1.14GB Healthy EFI partition"

For some reason screengrabs I'm uploading are not displaying correctly in this post so here is a link to my google photos showing all that I can see in the BIOS:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNardU1zHqa05zdWXqpBrx9ZS6DUHGIq9udrB8F4-C9BUKyAjZ-4Eu9NPz-0FhR...

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 4 of 29
Message 4 of 29

Hi,

Something is not right as you figured already. In disk manager wasn't suppose to show the word "boot" in usb stick partition info like it does for C: partition? To me it doesn't look like a bootable USB.

Other than that, F10 at boot up sequence does it call the boot option menu and if it does is it show boot from USB option? Also for testing only you might need to disable USB legacy on bios option.

Cheers

Edit: I tested on different machine to make a bootable stick with ubuntu. Using "Rufus" I got same result as you (no boot) but it did work after creating the bootable stick with Universal USB Installer

Later on I will test the stick on medion and see if/how it works.

Update. Tested on  P6689 and works just fine

And that's how the USB stick looks under disk manager

jackwsm
Apprentice
Message 5 of 29
Message 5 of 29

I'm new to Medion but OLD (83) and these forum things are a bit of a mystery, however I am having boot problems with my Akoya E42019. I apologise if I'm doing this in the wrong place. I was unable to boot from USB sticks or DVDs. Having been told to change the 'FIXED' boot order in BIOS/EFI I was unsuccessful but I noticed that 'Fast Boot' was enabled on the Boot tab. I disabled it and am now able to boot from my Macrium Reflect recovery DVD and USB recovery stick. I am still not able to boot the W10 recovery USB which I created on this PC. It's good to know I can,should the need arise, recover from my Macrium Reflect image which I've created on am external USB disk, but I'd still like to be able to use the Windows 10 recovery USB stick. Does anyone else have this problem, does anyone else have a Akoya E42019?

If this is in the wrong place perhaps someone could kindly move it to where it should be.

BTW I've read elsewhere that 'Fast  Boot' should not be used if the C disk is SSD.

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 29
Message 6 of 29

@jackwsm 

Hi Jack, it's nice to see that even at your high age you are interested in helping yourself with your  IT problem. Welcome!

First of all please name the MSN nunmber of your PC. It could be provided on a sticker on the bottom of your compu case.

How did you create the USB stick? With the  MediaCreationTool provided by Microsoft? Or with Rufus?

(Check for the MediaCreationTool from Microsoft in your country and language)

@jackwsm  schrieb:

I am still not able to boot the W10 recovery USB which I created on this PC. 

Which USB Recover Stick did/could you create within Windows 10?

Bye, daddle

jackwsm
Apprentice
Message 7 of 29
Message 7 of 29

Hi daddle,

The MSN number is 10023662. The Model Number is MD 34280

The Macrium recovery stick I created long ago on a different PC but the Macrium recovery DVD I created on this PC. Both now boot.

The USB stick for Windows 10 recovery was created on this PC. I type 'Recover' in the search box next to the Start button which allows me to run the 'Create a recovery drive' app, it is written in English and can be found in Control Panel>Recovery. I have in fact created two, one on a 32Gbyte USB 2, the other on a 64Gbyte USB 3 stick. Both get formatted during the process as FAT32 but neither boot. I've never heard of Rufus, should I be able to download and install it to see if I can load Windows 10 recovery onto it?

I have just checked, the USB stick for Macrium recovery is also formatted as FAT32.

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 29
Message 8 of 29

@jackwsm 

Windows Bootstick (Efi) must be formatted in Fat32. And from your in  Windows created Recovery Stick the PC  should be able to boot from. 

I follow a different way. Macrium  or Aomei Backupper is OK, in fact  you do not need the Windows Stick. But you do need for each REcover-Program an individual rescue disk or stick to boot from,  to start the Recovery of your self saved image.

As I wrote, you can create a stick with the MediaCeationTool, this one definitely will boot. And in the beginning of the installation procedure you can switch to Repairing,, which is in fact a Win RE also.

And if it is a logic problem only (no physical defect of your boot disk) you can cancel the Windows start procedure by brute force-- switching off the machine three times while booting -- the next boot will open Windows RE; the same your Win Recovery stick would boot to.

Regards, daddle

jackwsm
Apprentice
Message 9 of 29
Message 9 of 29

Yes I have a DVD and USB stick, which both boot, and are recovery for my Macrium image.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that before I disabled 'Fast Boot' I took my Macrium recovery media, DVD and USB stick, and my Windows 10 recovery USB stick to a friend who has Windows 10 on an older PC. We were able to boot from all items! I am probably wrong but I suspect that there may be a problem with the BIOS/EFI on my PC causing the Windows 10 USB stick to fail.

This is all getting rather complicated for me. As you say I don't really need the W10 recovery stick as I have Macrium recovery media which works. I think I should abandon the W10 USB stick, I'm not very enthusiastic regarding the 'brute force' which might be required.

Perhaps there may be another Community member with the same model of PC as I have, and who does not have Macrium, who might dicover his W10 recovery USB fails to boot. Of course he/she will probably need to disable 'Fast Boot'.

Many thanks for your suggestions. At least I will have my image(s) to fall back upon should the need arise. In the 5 years of W10 I have only needed to restore from an image once which was when I had problems with a 'Feature Update'.

Regards

Jack

daddle
Superuser
Message 10 of 29
Message 10 of 29

@jackwsm 

@jackwsm  schrieb:

One thing I forgot to mention before is that before I disabled 'Fast Boot' I took my Macrium recovery media, DVD and USB stick, and my Windows 10 recovery USB stick to a friend who has Windows 10 on an older PC.

Well, if your USB-Win Recovery Stick from this machine boots on a friends older PC, lets assume that while producing the stick ypu might have had changed something in the settings of your UEFI before; maybe you activated the bios emulation mode. Although I do not understand this at all. And activated Fastboot shouldn't prevent the listing of a bootable USB device.  

@jackwsm  schrieb:

I think I should abandon the W10 USB stick, I'm not very enthusiastic regarding the 'brute force' which might be required.

Well brute force is just a saying. Nothing really happens  stopping your booting process in the beginning by pressing the power button for 4-5 seconds.

Windows stays fine, after three times still Windows is so intelligent and active, to initiate the Win RE mode (Recovery or Rescue mode)

Bye, daddle

28 REPLIES 28