Did you mean: 

Erazer P6689 - cannot boot from USB

28 REPLIES 28
PK_1
New Voice
Message 1 of 29
Message 1 of 29

Erazer P6689 - cannot boot from USB

I am trying to boot my laptop using an ubuntu USB.

• I can access the BIOS/UEFI either by holding down shift when I restart, or by clicking through to advanced system settings.
  • I created the flash boot drive on this PC so I know it recognises it, but in the boot order there is no option for a USB
  • My bios is 'Insyde BIOS version 210'

28 REPLIES 28
daddle
Superuser
Message 21 of 29
Message 21 of 29

@jackwsm 

I understand that it isn't a nice forethought to think of all the work coming up; but may be less then writing long epistulas over and over again.

Your questions, and these are my last comments:

ad 1: Yes. But I do not say you must, you complain. And it is one way, and the most easiest one  to overcome the not booting stick prob.

ad 2.: No. It only says that something with one or another Update of Windows went wrong. (That happens more often. You may blame Microsoft for this.)

ad 3.: No, it does not really insists on Upgrading to Version 2004. For a while you can block it. But on the long run it is advisable, and Yes, you will have to at last. And why not? Microsoft is eliminating faulty things all the time.

ad 4.: This problem all people have, who have to reinstall WIndows or have to go back to factory setup. Do not blame me for this.

But it is not so much work. In the browser, one can print out all the passwords. I think its more easy to make a listing containing Username and PW for each account. If you in future would make use of a password manager it would be more easy.

But when did you make your Macrium image? Was it before the Upgrade to Version 2004, with WIndows already personalized? Or how long ago?  

You could anyway make use of this image to restore, it is probably saved before your problem with the non booting USB-Stick arose.

It would  save part of the work to reinstall everything  onto your PC.

If after restoring the Macrium image the problem persists, you still can make use of Power Recover to go back to factory. 

@jackwsm  schrieb:

Having done all that I then use the media creation tool you suggested to create another USB recovery disk which will take up 4-5 Gbyte rather than the media creation tool available via Control Panel.

That's what you are aiming for. You want "belt and braces".

But do not mix up names. The "Media Creation Tool" is a fixed set and name for the tool, which Microsoft  provides to make an installation stick. 

The stick you make via Control Panel is a rescue stick, but do not call it "made by media creation tool".

And yes, if your PC works fine again after reverting to factory state, it should boot from the USB Stick made by the "MediaCreation Tool" (from new download); and also from other booting sticks, like the last made Macrium stick, which didn't boot either. 

Regards, daddle

Edit: Typos, Syntax

jackwsm
Apprentice
Message 22 of 29
Message 22 of 29

Another reply to daddle.

Many thanks for your reply, again I will create my reply as a text document which I will be able to paste in when concluded. This allows me to type slowly and also checks my spelling.

I will jump to your question about Macrium Image creation.

Knowing that the 2004 version was available and I would be encouraged to get it loaded I decided to delay personalising my PC until it had 2004. I didn’t have long to wait. I then created the first image so there is no 1909 image to restore.

I understand from your answer to my second question that something may have gone wrong with the upgrade from 1909 to 2004 which of course I had no control over.

I apologise for mixing up names, when I type ‘Recover’ into the search window I am taken to a page entitled ‘Create a recovery drive’ in Control Panel and assumed that this was appropriate. I tick the box which asks if I want to ‘back up system files to the recovery drive’ and I assume this is the reason my recovery stick uses more space. I had not been aware of the website you asked me to use to create a smaller stick but I will be noting it for future use.

So I have decided to do as follows:-

I am going to assume this PC will continue to work as it is doing for a long time. Even if it fails it is unlikely that recovering from my Macrium Image or the recovery stick will succeed in fixing anything especially if the problem is with memory, CPU or SSD. I will have to send it in for warranty repair. I am aware that the warranty period is for three years, I would like to think I might last another three years...

Microsoft may become aware that their upgrade to 2004 was not successful and they may issue further updates prior to the next Feature update to rectify this.

You may wonder why I am so concerned regarding recovery. I dread the thought that my PC might at any become infected with ‘Ransomware’. If this happens I believe I can just switch off, start again with my Macrium USB or DVD loaded which should enable me to recover from the latest created image. I have been in the habit of creating an image on a monthly basis.

I realise I will be unable to use Windows recovery USB. Perhaps after the next feature update this may become possible again.

My reluctance to return this for repair is on account of my studying reviews of Medion customer service in UK, they are not good.

I no longer have 'Belt and Braces' I will have to make do with Belt, or perhaps Braces.

Finally might I suggest that if you have any influence over where these things are assembled they might be encouraged to disable the ‘Fast boot’ option in UEFI.

Very many thanks for your help.

Regards

Jack

wsm = Weston-super-Mare

daddle
Superuser
Message 23 of 29
Message 23 of 29

@jackwsm 

This is not a forum to exchange philosophical discussions about MS Windows, or a tutorial  to perform with it.

Nor to do a "drivers license" for the use of Windows Recover.

First over two pages long you were desperate to have your created USB Windows Recover Sticks to be able to boot. Suddenly it's not important anymore.  For this I wrote my fingertips bloody (a german saying)

So, my conclusion:  Much to do about nothing!

daddle

@jackwsm  schrieb:

‘Create a recovery drive’ in Control Panel and assumed that this was appropriate. I tick the box which asks if I want to ‘back up system files to the recovery drive’ and I assume this is the reason my recovery stick uses more space. I had not been aware of the website you asked me to use to create a smaller stick but I will be noting it for future use.

Future Use? I thought the USB Stick from the MS webage you said  didn't boot? Now you say future use.

Does it means you never really created an Win 10 USB stick with the MediaCreationTool from Microsofts webpage? Thats why your "phanrtom"  stick only had 4 GB. I wondered already about this.

Instead you used the Recover USB Stick out of control panel? But please, no need to answer anymore.

jackwsm
Apprentice
Message 24 of 29
Message 24 of 29

Reply 3

You tell me about ‘philosophical discussions’ etc then come to your conclusion after which you ask another question which I don’t need to answer.

‘Future Use’ I’m thinking that eventually the USB stick might work.

I used this website

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

and chose the ‘Download Tool Now’ option. I had previously clicked the ‘Update Now’ button and was congratulated on having the latest update.

I will now go through the routine again Downloaded and started Windows 10 Setup and clicked to create installation media using the recommended options for this PC.

It now downloads Windows 10, it makes progress and the USB LED is flickering.

50 minutes later the flash drive is ready, I click Finish.

There is now 28Gbyte free of a total of 31.9Gbyte 3.9 Gbyte used.

You refer to this as my ‘Phantom Stick’, I’ve followed the procedure as I did previously.

Something more to wonder about? But don't bother to answer.

I try posting, I am warned that invalid HTML was found in the message body and has been removed, I'm asked to review the message. It looks pretty much the same so I'll  Post again and hope for the best.

daddle
Superuser
Message 25 of 29
Message 25 of 29

@jackwsm 

The last question was in Edit, just an afterthought. 

Yes I tried to guide you, but as it sounds you didn't even try the Stick created with the MediaCreationTool.

From first time to choose the Update Option for the Windows-Installation was a nuisance, you had Version 2004 already installed.  The second option you had to choose:  Preparing an USB stick.

The aim was to get the Win 10 Installer files on an bootable USB Stick with help of  Microsofts Media Creation Tool.

So now you have made it, congratulations. But still 3.9 GB? Did you choose "For another PC" and the 64-bit Version? My Download 64-bit is almost 4.1 GB; this was a V. 1909 Download. The new 2004 Download-Stick is also 3.9 GB

And now the most important and interesting question: Does your PC boot from the stick this time, with  F10 pressed to get the onscreen "Boot option menu" to chose the Stick?

Actually it would had only really made sense to download Windows with the newly downloaded MediaCreationTool Installer onto your USB stick after you did a reflash of your system with Power Recover.

The HTML warnings in the Editor if you try to send your post is mostly meaningless. Don't bother about it.

daddle

jackwsm
Apprentice
Message 26 of 29
Message 26 of 29

Hi daddle,

Reply regarding f10

Using the f10 key when starting the PC makes no difference. The thing starts up as normal, nice photo of somewhere which then has two or three comments such as ‘Like what you see?’ There is no mention ‘Boot option Menu’.

I click with my pointer anywhere on the screen and am asked to enter my PIN.

I carried out a search for ‘Boot Option Menu’ and discover that I need to be in ‘Safe Mode’.

I should point out that when following unfamiliar procedures I make notes on a pad. I followed instructions to get into ‘safe mode’ and got to the stage where I was expected to use the f10 when the PC shut down.

I then restarted and after the f10 stage was able to select 4 which  enabled me  to get to the stage, via 'Settings' where I discovered my USB stick with the 3.9Gbyte of data was able to boot! At this stage I did not go any further as I did not want to have to start from scratch, I closed the pane asking me to select keyboard etc. and was returned to normal start.

I now realise the crucial factor required to achieve this result is to be in ‘Safe Mode’. I’m sure that somewhere in the instructions you gave me there were those that would have done this, but I must have overlooked them, I apologise.

I tried the same procedure with my other stick which I had produced using Control Panel but it would not boot.

I now have both 'belt and braces', my USB stick will be safely stored but should I have the need I will attempt to restore a Macrium Image before restoring from the stick.

Many thanks for your assistance without which I was lost.

daddle
Superuser
Message 27 of 29
Message 27 of 29

@jackwsm 

F10  tab pressed immediately after pressing the start button calls solely the boot page like  the Bootpage in bios on the screen.  

1.) But you should choose Restart, then first screen gets dark and when it switches on the screen automatically again and the Erazer Logo appears immediately press the  F10 Tab.

2.) Second way: If you want to close Windows completely and shut the PC off, you have to press the Shift tab together with clicking on "Shut down". Then when switching on again and pressing F10  it surely will work.

The reason is, that with "Shut down" Windows is sent into a hybrid hibernation state, then it happens  that Windows only starts out of the hibernation, and does not search for all available bootmedia, like your USB stick. 

If you call "Restart", then Windows also shuts down completely, but not the PC, it reboots automatically.

So at this point the F10 Tab pressed is the same effect as having switched Windows complete down and manually restarted.

The Restart Option is needed after driver or Software installation, only then Windows can load the newly installed files. 

If it is woken up from hybrid hibernation (Shut off command) then the newly installed files are not recognized. And also no check for alternate bootmedia is done.

(But this depends on UEFI, some allow the F10 function even then)

And what you call safe mode is just the above described  complete shutdown of Windows.

And I thought you had read this thread in which you participate? In Post 2 here this all was mentioned already. I couldn't realize you had not.

daddle

jackwsm
Apprentice
Message 28 of 29
Message 28 of 29

daddle,

I am very sorry about this. As I tried to explain in my first post (page 5) I am not familar with Community Forums. I had found a topic which seemed to be similar to my problem and I did explain that my PC is an AKOYA E 42019. This is a recent release. Perhaps I should have 'searched' the Community for E42019, I didn't know and still don't know. 'Boards' 'Strings' 'Threads' are a mystery to me. I was confused by the supplied booklet which seems to be based on Windows 8. I put my problem to Medion at Swindon who told me to change the Boot Order which I was unable to do, possibly as it is fixed. There was no mention of Safe Mode prior to entering 'Settings' etc.

daddle
Superuser
Message 29 of 29
Message 29 of 29

@jackwsm 

It has nothing to do with Win 8 until Win 10, the procedure is the same. Not with the PC-name or model, not even with the safe mode (see later).  It's a  PC and  Windows operating systems feature.

A thread ist the discussion which you entered. And it was ok, because you addressed the same problem as the thread title is. That's an other model is didn't matter. So seeing this, a bit of reading before in the "discussion" you selected could have helped.(Post 2)

Also because you bootet your USB stick on a friends PC, I had to believe you know how to boot the USB-stick..

You also said you  could  boot your Macrium boot-stick on your PC. Also therefore your Windows had to be completely closed down. So it was clear to me you basically knew how to start an USB stick on your machine.

Puzzling was the fact that even the MediaCreationTool made USB stick wouldn't  boot, plus some strange seeming not fitting error messages.

It is basic, and similar even with old Windows Systems: if a Windows 7 is not completely shut down, eg you shut down into Hibernation mode, no other boot media can boot.

@jackwsm  schrieb:

...who told me to change the Boot Order which I was unable to do, possibly as it is fixed. There was no mention of Safe Mode prior to entering 'Settings' etc.

Still a little bit mixed up, I see. To change the boot order you can enter UEFi even from a booted Windows in Settings --> Win Updates and Security -->  Recover --> Advanced Start Up  -> Restart now  --> Troubleshoot --> Advanced Options  -> (UEFI) Firmware Settings --> Restart in UEFI ... Much to long a way

But if there is only one bootable device, there is nothing to move up or down the list.

Did you notice if you start with the F10 tab pressed, the last entry in the boot option menu is Setup; this way to UEFI settings is much quicker!

Or. another  way out of Windows, to get faster into Bios you choose "Restart" to run down. As soon the screen gets dark - be attentive - when the screen lits up again press immediately or ticking multiple times  the F2 Tab, and you will enter UEFI (Bios).

In UEFI on the second last page 'Boot' you can change boot order, but only if there is more than one bootable device connected to your PC; eg internal disk (these is listed as "Windows Boot Manager") and a bootable USB stick or a Windows DVD in the ODD. 

But it is not necessary to enter the Bios settings everytime; with the F10 tab you always can select one of at this time connected and available bootable mediums.

And by the way, Safe Mode is a different Windows status, in which only basic drivers and programs are loaded. It is a special Windows status, which you make use of to detect faulty Installations. So in safe mode Windows is already (partially) loaded, and you can't boot any other device from there.  

The computer status to boot generally, also from an USB-stick, is the computer must be totally run down; and direct after switching on, no partial loaded operating system is active.

Plainly said the Computer must be complete off and start from there.

These were some basics on computers and Windows just in consideration of your high age. I hope it will serve you to understand things better.

Just keep in mind, there are different ways to start into Windows, or basically or from Hybrid mode after "Shut down" button,  or full Hibernation; but there is only one way to boot from other medium, eg external disk, USB-Stick,  DVD external or internal, Windows must be first closed down completely.

Best regards, daddle

Edit: Typo

28 REPLIES 28