S4403-MD61325 not charging over USB Type-C

SOLVED
11 REPLIES 11
AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

S4403-MD61325 not charging over USB Type-C

I have an S4403-MD61325 (MSN30025973) for which I also have a docking station MD87905. For about a year I have used the docking station over the USB Type-C cable to charge the notebook but it stopped charging. Thinking that the docking station was faulty I returned it under warranty and was informed it was unrepairable and it was replaced. But the new docking station also does not charge the notebook. This makes me think that the charging system within the notebook might be faulty, although it charges without problem from the jack socket using the small power supply that came with it, or the USB-C socket might not be connecting correctly.

I have no other USB-C device to test it with or to try charging from so I do not know how to diagnose the problem. The Medion Service App failed to complete (after 18 hours) so I have no diagnostics from that. Has anyone else experience a similar problem or have any suggestion how to resolve this?

My apologies if this is already in the forum, I could not find it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gehringer
Retired
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Hi @AndrewP ,

if you suspect the socket is faulty you can get in touch with the technical support team from your country to have it troubleshooted and, if that is the case, repaired.

You can find the contact information at your local Medion website

Regards,

Gehringer

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Hi @AndrewP and welcome to the FORUM!

Can you please check if the USB-C port you were using to recharge the NB is transferring data normally?
Please remember using a power and data compatible cable.

Regards,

Gehringer

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

It transfers data to the port expander.

I have since bought a USBc hub that has a LED  - the LED does not light when it is plugged into the power USBc but does light when it is plugged in to the other USBc socket.

The socket must be faulty.

Gehringer
Retired
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Hi @AndrewP ,

if you suspect the socket is faulty you can get in touch with the technical support team from your country to have it troubleshooted and, if that is the case, repaired.

You can find the contact information at your local Medion website

Regards,

Gehringer

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Thank you.

I already contacted the local Medion service centre but they told me I must take the laptop back to the UK where I purchased it. Because of COVID 19 I can't do that at the moment and can only hope that I am able before the warranty runs out.

oblivion62
Newcomer
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

I'm afraid this is not good news.
I have the same problem. However, I was able to return the device to Medion for repair; they have told me (to my annoyance) that they can't find a fault.

I was able to verify the fault with two entirely different docks; I was also able to prove functionality of the docks (in terms of power delivery and video output, both of which failed on the device) on another device. And as I had Windows Update paused (I like to leave it paused until updates have been shown to be as unbuggy as possible) it wasn't Microsoft's fault either.

I had a battery fault too -- I chose to live with it, but it took the form of an instant switchoff at login, accompanied by a worrying electrical click, if the device was running off battery, and less than about 75% charged. (Same thing happened with external power attached if wifi hadn't connected by the time login was attempted.)
All of this stuff speaks of bad build quality at worst and poor drivers at absolute best. I've been able to persuade Amazon to refund me but if you've had the device less than two years, I think you may have a case for refund or replacement if you can get Trading Standards (or your local equivalent) involved.

I kind of get that this is the budget end of the market and some trade-offs are perhaps to be expected but this has been a frustrating experience for me and, I imagine, for you too. Companies survive best with strategies that encourage repeat business and I can't see that the poor standards around this model are good for that. 😞

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

I missed the warranty period by a long way.

I tried a local repair shop but they were not able to fix the problem. I just have to live with this.

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Hello @AndrewP 

can you set something in the energy saving functions?

Or maybe in the bios? is there the setting "ErP Ready" or "usb power delivery" are they set to enabled?

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

@Fishtown I am sure it is not in the power settings, I have checked them. I had not thought of the BIOS settings and am not even sure how to get to them. I will have a look tomorrow.

AndrewP
Apprentice
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

@FishtownI checked the BIOS and I do not see either ErP Ready or usb power delivery. Where do I find these?

The laptop charged originally over the USBc socket and stopped about 2 years ago. I have not made any changes to the BIOS at any time. Is this something that could have been changed by some form of automatic update?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11