8 REPLIES 8
Faust-RSI
New Voice
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Medion Akoya S5610 ACPI malfunction

I have an old (2008) laptop that I use connected to the projector:

Processor: CPU Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor P7350 2,00 GHz
Memory: 2x 2048 MB DDR2 SO-DIMM (PC2-5300/667 MHz) (keine Bank frei, 4 GB max.)
BIOS/Chipsatz: Phoenix (BIOS)Intel PM45 SLB97 (NB)Intel ICH9M SLB8Q (SB) - the latest version (1.07) is "installed".
Display: 15,4" (39,1 cm) WXGA TFT WidescreenAuflösung: 1280 x 800 Pixel (16:9) non Glare
Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470(onBoard, 256 MB GDDR2)Core-Taktfrequenz: 680 MHzShader-Taktfrequenz: 680 MHzSpeicher-Taktfrequenz: 800 MHzSpeicherschnittstelle: 64-bit
Optical drive: DVDRW SAMSUNG SN S083A
Hard disk: HDD 320GB SATA WD3200BEVT
Sound card: Realtek HDA861 (onBoard)
Network: * LAN (onBoard); 10/100/1000 Mbit; Realtek RTL8168C(P) * WLAN Intel 5100AGN_MMWG 512AN PCIe MiniCard

From the day one, its has some CPU incompatibility with what Intel calls “Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology” (EIST). Because of that, it won’t accept Windows starting from XP SP2 (because EIST was enabled in SP2), randomly becoming not responding during installation or during normal usage if OS somehow succeeds to install.
I can install some Linux distributions choosing “ACPI off” during installation, it seems any power management options that dynamically change frequencies under EIST standards causes the issue. I am not sure what power management elements are even functioning, also some FN+ combinations don't work (including Bluetooth, so I can't use it) and I cannot turn it off without using a power button.

I've also tried all other variations of ACPI debugging that are available on Linux, but nothing else works:

("Doesn't work" means the main defect occurs - system becomes unresponsive)

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2001" doesn't work

acpi=noirq doesn't work

nolapic seems to be working, fn+ and shut down also work, need more time to make sure but don't want to, as it disables one of the CPU cores.

noapic - doesn't work

pci=noacpi - makes system unbootable, had to use recovery mode

pnpacpi=off - keyboard stops working immediately after boot, dropped further testing

Anyone has any ideas? Reverting back to Windows XP SP1 is not an option. I have 3 more laptops at home so please don't suggest me buying another one. This old Medion is good enough for its own tasks, and despite having this strange malfunction it had worked successfully for 10 years before WinXP SP1 stopped being compatible with anything. Now I need it for my projector and it would be nice to get rid of at least some of the aforementioned issues.

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

@Faust-RSI 

Hi, you should name the MSN Number. Look on the sticker underneath.

Is it the UK model with the MSN 30008310?

These models were originally sold with Vista Premium 32 bit.

Drivers you can find here: 

--> https://www.medion.com/de/service/product-detail/30008310

or for other MSN numbers:

https://www.medion.com/de/service/topic/medion-products?msnCheck=S5610%20

With ACPI malfunction I cannot help. Maybe it's a chipset driver problem. But no idea

daddle

Faust-RSI
New Voice
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Nope, it's DE version - MD 97330 / MSN 30009131

Yeah, I could have just changed the CPU (T9600, for example, is about 10 EUR now), but I am afraid to get some ME region issues and also that it's not a CPU problem but rather chipset/hub/north bridge 😞

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

@Faust-RSI 

For the MEDION AKOYA S5610 (MD 97330) DE  MSN 30009131 applies the same,

except it was sold with a Vista Prem. SP1  32bit and a 64 bit DVD.

So thats the suitable Service site --> https://www.medion.com/de/service/product-detail/30009131

It also contains a  Bios Upgrade M 1.07. Check the Info buttton first. It must be upgraded in a DOS environment.

As far as I remember there was a change in the utilized driver model with Vista compared to XP.

You could install Vista anew, then your ACPI problems could be over.

Cheers daddle

Faust-RSI
New Voice
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

As I've mentioned in the very first post, it already has the latest BIOS. And it won't accept any Windows above WinXP SP1. Including Vista. Including Vista from the very DVD that was originally shipped with the laptop.Please, read carefully the OP.

And I am not sure why you continue to post that link with the drivers here. I know this link. Used it from the start for Windows, and it has no meaning for Linux.

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

@Faust-RSI 

Don't be so rude. I am trying to help you for a15 year old model. According to  the OP, which I  carefully read  you were speaking of Windows XP SP1, and that you wouldn't  accept any higher XP service pack. As a possibility you mentioned Linux. But not that it was pemanently installed.

By the way, Medion doesn't use Linux, and this forum and the Mods do not support Linux.

Because you do not appreciate the efforts I made, and your way of communication is not mine, I will stop here.

daddle

Faust-RSI
New Voice
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

You still can't read. I quote - "it won’t accept Windows starting from XP SP2".

"you wouldn't accept any higher XP service pack" is just your REALLY strange fantasies that have nothing to do with the OP.

And yeah, posts from a person who can't read are not appreciated here. So please, feel free to STOP and spread your incompetence somewhere else.. I've tried to be polite kindly asking to read OP carefully, but in return got acquisitions of being rude lol What a weirdo. Now I remember you from other thread. You were exactly as incompetent back then, nothing changed. I bet you cannot understand even 10% of the OP.

And yes, if there is a way to make Windows work on this machine - I would gladly revert to Windows.

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

@Faust-RSI 

A typically bad minded  post.

I have no  "Glasskugel"  here to know all the whereabouts of your setup. And yes, you mentioned you had the new bios already. Sorry. How can I be so stupid.  And what a catastrophy to mention it: Really you do suffer under my incompetence. 

@Faust-RSI  schrieb:

You still can't read. I quote - "it won’t accept Windows starting from XP SP2".

"you wouldn't accept any higher XP service pack" is just your REALLY strange fantasies that have nothing to do with the OP.

Well may be your english isn't "the Cream on a cake" (german idiom), or my understanding is possibly too bad.
But your saying " it won’t accept Windows starting from XP SP2" doesn't really mean anything. The PC was designed for Windows Vista.

It doesn't exclude either the possibility "It will accept any Windows version below".

But if you are not able to install and drive Windows on a machine designed and tested for  Windows Vista I do wonder about your competence and skills.

Faust-RSI
New Voice
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Exactly, you don't have to know everything. You should just simply READ what is stated. Is this so hard.

lol about being unable to install Windows. Are you 12? 😄 The system is defective, but it seems this is also impossible to comprehend for you.

8 REPLIES 8