11 ANTWORTEN 11
jim232
Trainee
Nachricht 1 von 12
7.118 Aufrufe
Nachricht 1 von 12
7.118 Aufrufe

MIM 2210 Notebook PC - RAM upgrade

I have a MIM 2210 Notebook PC with 1GB RAM.

According to Mr Memory I can upgrade to 2GB.

Does anyone know where the RAM slots are located and how to get into the PC? There is no information at all on this in the User Guide and Medion support offered no help.

Thanks.

11 ANTWORTEN 11
Bodgekin
Mentor
Nachricht 2 von 12
6.243 Aufrufe
Nachricht 2 von 12
6.243 Aufrufe

Hi @jim232

I'm sorry, but I've not been able to find any info on what this notebook can take either, I guess it is a little to old, considering it was delivered with Windows Vista? 

To replace the memory, usually you should be able to remove a panel on the bottom side to acces the modules to replace them, though on some notebooks you can acces 1 slot through the bottom, and the second one by removing the keyboard. 

Perhaps you can add some pictures from the bottom or the inside so we can have a look?

Kind regards,
Bart
jim232
Trainee
Nachricht 3 von 12
6.239 Aufrufe
Nachricht 3 von 12
6.239 Aufrufe

Bart,

Many thanks for taking the time to look at this. I've only just had another reply from Medion Support, this time much more helpful. They reckon I can get access to both slots under the bottom battery compartment as you suggest. I'll have a go & if any problems will post some photos.

You're right, it is an old notebook but I'm hoping to breathe a little bit more life into it.

All the best,

Jim

jim232
Trainee
Nachricht 4 von 12
6.215 Aufrufe
Nachricht 4 von 12
6.215 Aufrufe

I opened up the back panel but can't see any RAM. There are quite a few screws around the outside of the laptop bottom. Don't know whether to try them or go for the keyboard. I've seen a YouTube video on removing a keyboard - I guess it would be a similar procedure for mine...

Thanks for reading.medionLaptop.jpg

Tags (4)
Bodgekin
Mentor
Nachricht 5 von 12
6.193 Aufrufe
Nachricht 5 von 12
6.193 Aufrufe

Hi @jim232

It is a bit hard to see on the picture, but I think the memory slots are to the left of the harddrive (the metal frame with the big circular hole in it). The black stuff there looks like some black plastic foil I have seen before in notebooks, I think this is some sort of insulation. Try to carefully lift it up a bit and see if the modules are below it (if it is indeed a bit of foil).

Kind regards,
Bart
jim232
Trainee
Nachricht 6 von 12
6.184 Aufrufe
Nachricht 6 von 12
6.184 Aufrufe

Bart,

Thanks for the further advice - much appreciated.

I wondered what could be under there. On cursory inspection it didn't look designed for removal but if you've seen similar before then that's very good to know. Next time I get my hands on the machine I'll try to lift it - carefully as you say and will post the outcome.

All the best,

Jim

Luke
Community Manager
Nachricht 7 von 12
6.175 Aufrufe
Nachricht 7 von 12
6.175 Aufrufe

Hello @jim232 and @Bodgekin,

I`ve just checked our (old) databases and all I could find out is that this unit 

has been sold in 2007, max. RAM upgrade is 2 GB using

2x  1GB DDR2 400MHz 200 PIN SO-DIMM PC2-3200S

If my memory serves me right, both RAM slots should be located below

the keyboard, but I need some additional information for a precise

advice. What I need is at least the MD-number  of this notebook

("MD 96175" or such) and it`s MSN  number.

Cheers,

Luke

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
jim232
Trainee
Nachricht 8 von 12
6.164 Aufrufe
Nachricht 8 von 12
6.164 Aufrufe

Luke,

Thank you for looking into this. 

2x  1GB DDR2 400MHz 200 PIN SO-DIMM PC2-3200S

On the site I quoted on my original post they are selling

1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz 200-pin SODIMM for this device

So I guess I could try & find a match for original RAM or buy 2 of the 667MHz modules above.

On the back plate of machine is S/N: KNB721001174

- hopefully that is same as MSN you asked for & will uniquely identify the device. No sign of an MD number - perhaps these were introduced after 2007?

I attach photo of back plate.

Please let me know if you need any other identifiers.

Thanks again,

Jim

medionLaptop-crop.jpg

Luke
Community Manager
Nachricht 9 von 12
6.159 Aufrufe
Nachricht 9 von 12
6.159 Aufrufe

Hi again @jim232,

I finally found a MIM 2210 datasheet in a prehistoric part of our Intranet!   Smiley (zwinkernd)

However, we still don`t know where the RAM slots are located ( I still assume it`s underneath

the keyboard), but once you`ve found them I can now assure that you may replace the 2x 512 MB

with 2x 1 GB RAMs. There shouldn`t be a problem using your faster 667 MHz RAMs, they are

just faster than your mainboard and will be bored most of the time.

Here`s the datasheet, incl. a (german) MSN & MD-number. Text is also in German,

but should be understandable:

mim2210.PNG

Hope this helps,

Luke

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
jim232
Trainee
Nachricht 10 von 12
6.145 Aufrufe
Nachricht 10 von 12
6.145 Aufrufe

Luke,

Excellent - helps a lot. Nice to see it has an official datasheet! When I get another chance to look at the machine I'll update here.

Many thanks,

Jim

11 ANTWORTEN 11