What do I do if Windows no longer de-installs or reinstalls programs?
Errors of this type often occur with errors in the Windows Registry. To fix them, Microsoft provides a free tool (microsoftprogram_install_and_uninstall.meta.diagcab).
It tries to fix the following errors:
- Corrupted registry keys on 64-bit operating systems
- Corrupted registry keys that control the update data
- Errors that prevent new programs from being installed
- Problems that prevent complete uninstallation or updating of existing programs
- Issues that prevent uninstalling a program from the Control Panel using the Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) utility