[Medion Erazer X6807] "Trackpad lift" - Trackpad is raised up

4 REPLIES 4
driver8
New Voice
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

[Medion Erazer X6807] "Trackpad lift" - Trackpad is raised up

Hi Medion community.

My trackpad has become raised up at the front, and is impossible to press back down - my photo of the problem (and below).

Googling, finds this has been a problem with Dell models in the past - called "trackpad lift" (eg: here and here).

Has anyone experienced this before?

4S7StG6

4 REPLIES 4
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Hi @driver8 ,

the trackpad lifting may have different causes but it is not a known manufacturing issue among Medion products.

I advise you to get in touch with your local Medion technical support helpline

Regards,

Gehringer

driver8
New Voice
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, Gehringer. 

Yes, I've logged a support ticket and they have been very responsive.

My machine is within the 2 year warranty window, but as I'm stuck overseas due to global pandemic, it sadly looks as though nothing can be done.

Although I was offered free pickup and repair, from my home country, which would otherwise have been excellent.

My main concern now is actually not knowing how safe my machine is, with a faulty and physically expanding battery.

Gehringer
Retired
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hi @driver8 ,

you are correct, we can't recommend the usage of faulty batteries.

Since you are overseas, we can only offer you our services if you are located in a country Medion operates.

If not, then I would advise you to contact us upon your return.

Regards,

Gehringer

driver8
New Voice
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

UPDATE

1. Medion support very kindly agreed to ship a new battery to my home address, free of charge - an impressive level of customer service. Thank you, Medion. 🙏
  2. Checked with support that my machine would work without the battery (apparently some laptops will not).
  3. The trackpad was continuing to lift over subsequent weeks, so I finally took the plunge today and removed the battery. After discharging the battery completely, I started to remove the 18 (!) case screws ... it was clear that I was releasing the built-up pressure inside the case. The battery was swollen like a pillow, but thankfully was easy to remove.
  4. Trackpad has now returned to its original position, and works normally (previously, it would not 'click').
  5. Interestingly, the space bar was always a bit temperamental since the day I got the machine, and it started to get worse at the same time as the trackpad lift. I would often need to hit the spacebar several times in different places. And now, with the battery removed, the spacebar works perfectly ... better than it has ever done! So my theory is that the battery has been faulty (and swollen) since the day I received the laptop.
  6. Photos attached.

Trackpad lift at its worst, just before removing the batteryTrackpad lift at its worst, just before removing the battery

The 3 battery sections swollen into 'pillow' shapesThe 3 battery sections swollen into 'pillow' shapes

Battery code# detailsBattery code# details

4 REPLIES 4