Did you mean: 

Screen freezes when trying to access boot menu

22 REPLIES 22
Planeman653
Trainee
Message 1 of 23
Message 1 of 23

Screen freezes when trying to access boot menu

I'm trying to upgrade my pc from windows 32 to 64 bit. I want to boot a usb so i can install it but when i try to access the boot menu to change the boot priority, the screen just freezes.

Any help is appreciated!

Specs:

Akoya E4360 D

processor

Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor

motherboard

MS-7616 with 4 ddr3 supporting 16gb 1333/1066 mhz ram, pcie x16 & x1, 6 SATA II

memory

4GB

drives

1TB & DVD Writer

power supply

350w

ports

VGA, 6 rear and 2 front usb 2.0, 2 front audio(speaker and mic), DVI, HDMI, Keyboard And Mouse Ports, Ethernet

graphics

GeForce GT330

22 REPLIES 22
Planeman653
Trainee
Message 11 of 23
Message 11 of 23

Hi daddle,

I just finished changing the hdd to extra storage. I Followed these instructions to reformat it,

1. Back up any important data from your hard drive that you want to keep.
  2. Boot your computer from your new SSD and make sure that you can access your hard drive.
  3. Open the Disk Management tool by pressing the Windows key + X and selecting "Disk Management" from the menu that appears.
  4. In Disk Management, find the hard drive that you want to wipe and reformat. Right-click on it and select "Delete Volume" to delete all of the partitions on the hard drive.
  5. Once the volume has been deleted, you should see unallocated space on the hard drive. Right-click on it and select "New Simple Volume" to create a new partition on the hard drive.
  6. Follow the wizard to create a new partition and format it using the NTFS file system.
  7. After the formatting is complete, your hard drive should be ready to use as a storage drive.

Now that is complete, we should move on to entering bios. I really appreciate your expertise and guidance!

daddle
Superuser
Message 12 of 23
Message 12 of 23

@Planeman653 

Well done,  this is a standard procedure. So the HDD was not defect itself, it was just the logical structure.

By the way, except the  two Windows DVDs wich wer supplied  there came a third Support Disk -->  S-DVD MD 8338 / 8341 MULTI w/P2go - with the PC. It was a Rescue DVD with Cyberlinks Recovery Software, Power2 Go and the drivers for your PC.

When you speak of entering the Biosmenü with the F8 Key, this isn't the tab to enter Bios. It's for a single boot menu page.
Page 63 in the german manual  --> https://www.medion.com/de/service/topic/medion-products?msnCheck=MD%208338  Scroll down for the PC.
To  enter Bios you have to press the Del tab and hold it pressed before switching on the PC until the message "Entering Setup" appears..

You did not answer where you are from? Australia may be? Or the Netherlands?  And you didn't give the MSN number of your PC. 

daddle

Planeman653
Trainee
Message 13 of 23
Message 13 of 23

Hi Daddle,

Sorry for the lack of information. I am in Australia and purchased the PC from Aldi. The MSN for my PC is 

1001 3596.

I also tried this fix, "To  enter Bios you have to press the Del tab and hold it pressed before switching on the PC until the message "Entering Setup" appears.. "  But that didn't work at it just booted into the os as usual like the key was never pressed at all. Looking forward to another fix!

daddle
Superuser
Message 14 of 23
Message 14 of 23

@Planeman653 

@Planeman653  schrieb:

I also tried this fix, "To  enter Bios you have to press the Del tab and hold it pressed before switching on the PC until the message "Entering Setup" appears.. "  But that didn't work at it just booted into the os as usual like the key was never pressed at all. Looking forward to another fix!

Maybe you used the  Del key in the number  keypad on the right side which was switched on with the Num Tab to use numbers only.

If you are in Windows go to Settings / Update & Security / Recovery  / Advanced Startup -> Restart now / Toubleshoot / Advanced Options / UEFI Firmware Settings ->  Restart -->  Then you are in UEFI Bios.

Cheers, daddle

Planeman653
Trainee
Message 15 of 23
Message 15 of 23

Hi daddle,
No, i just confirmed that i was using the Delete key below the insert key and left of the end key. The UEFI Firmware settings option wasn't there when I went to troubleshoot.https://imgur.com/o98qfgz

Hopefully that helps!

daddle
Superuser
Message 16 of 23
Message 16 of 23

@Planeman653 

You said you could with the F8 Key call for the Bootmenu, and you did choose the USB Stick.

Istn't there at the end an item Setup? This also would lead into Bios(UEFI). Maybe on the older machines with Win 7 it isn't yet implemented.

Following your screen picture I would say try to scroll down,  the item  Bios Firmware settings could be there- but your PC still runs undr a legacy bios.

What partition scheme was installed by the Win 10 Installation?

MBR or GPT. Check under Specs or characteristics of the C-Partititon.

It   will be still a Legacy Bios, the PC was delivered with Win 7; the Rescue screen ((partition) was installed with Win 10 I guess. Maybe that's why the UEFI entry is not there.

Try to find help with a computer repair shop. They should show how to enter Bios on your PC. Nothing else. No installation or other repairs, would cost a lot of money.  😉

Why do you want to enter Bios? Therein is not much to be changed.

daddle

Planeman653
Trainee
Message 17 of 23
Message 17 of 23

Hi daddle,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I could never get into the boot menu so i had to unplug and replug drives to boot from different ones. Scrolling down didn't work, there was nothing there. The partition scheme was using MBR. I will enter a computer shop if I have the time. I want to enter bios because I need to load setup defaults in order to solve my ram issue. (I have the "ACPI bios error" & "0xc00000e9" error codes when i install 16GB of ram)

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 18 of 23
Message 18 of 23

Hello @Planeman653 

a few thoughts on this,

1.check the keyboard if the "del" key works: http://www.tastaturtester.de/

or use another ps/2 keyboard

2.Under win10 you can also get into the bios differently. via the start menu, via the "Command Prompt" (cmd.exe). this as an administrator carry out. enter there:
shutdown /r /fw /t 0

enter
The computer should now restart directly into the bios

3.If you can't get into the bios setting, try deleting the cmos ram with the jumper JBAT1 and then try again.

4.you write 16GB ram. It should be noted that each slot only supports 4GB, for example if you install 2x 8GB it will not work

system memory:
The motherboard has 4 DIMM sockets, each supporting up to 4GB of memory. The BIOS automatically detects the size, type and speed of the modules.

The special Fictions for the memory modules to be used are:
 240-pin DIMMs / 1333MHz / 1066MHz / DDR3 (unbuffered), 1.5V
Single or double sided DIMM. The main board can be equipped with two modules
Be pieced, whereby the memory size of the modules can vary.
Notice
Modules with different clock frequencies must not be operated in parallel
be practiced To ensure optimal performance, YOU assign the memory locations as follows:
 DIMM_1 + DIMM_3, DIMM_2 + DIMM_4 or DIMM_1 + DIMM_2 + DIMM_3 + DIMM_4

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
Planeman653
Trainee
Message 19 of 23
Message 19 of 23

Hi Fishtown.

I went through all your solutions and here's what happened.

1. Del key works
  2. Command prompt told me, "Boot to firmware UI is not supported by this system's firmware.(1)"
  3. I tried shorting the Jbat 1 pins but nothing changed. I know it worked though as i needed to unplug the Hard Drive to boot.
  4. I checked and the replacements ram sticks are compatible with the motherboard and they have been put in the correct order.

Hopefully this information helps!

daddle
Superuser
Message 20 of 23
Message 20 of 23

@Planeman653 

This was to be expected, because you don't have a UEFI Bios.. And RAM modules should have been correctly placed, because Windows and programs run without problems.

@Planeman653  schrieb:

I tried shorting the Jbat 1 pins but nothing changed. I know it worked though as i needed to unplug the Hard Drive to boot.

What do you mean by this? By unplugging the Hard Drive how do you check the function of shortening the Cmos pins?  

daddle

22 REPLIES 22