My First Post

17 REPLIES 17
bigman1974
Trainee
Message 1 of 18
Message 1 of 18

My First Post

Hello Everyone

I found it very difficult to penetrate the username/password section of the forum but I hope I'm in business now. I'm having problems with my Akoya laptop,

since I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and Im hoping there's someone able to help. I will put all the details in my next post.

17 REPLIES 17
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 18
Message 2 of 18

Hi @bigman1974 and welcome to the FORUM!

We look forward to receive your next message!

Regards,

Gehringer

bigman1974
Trainee
Message 3 of 18
Message 3 of 18

Hi

When I got a clean install of Windows 10 (previously 7) I had a few hitches and after tech help from Microsoft, Im left with the display staying blank when it should be displaying the lock screen. Microsoft blame the Bios, so I set about trying to find a Bios update.

Inputting MSN 30012974 I get version 3.02 on the Medion drivers list, but when I tried to run the unpacked .exe, I got an error saying it could not run. My current bios version is 209 dated 4/7/2011 (simbios version 2.6)

Should this work on my laptop or could I be doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.  :o))

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Message 4 of 18

@bigman1974 

The downloaded exe is a container file, which you first have to unpack. When you double click the exe, a small windows open (it might hide behind your Browser page), in which you have to click on the extract button.The unpacked files reside in a folder C:\Medion. Then start the unpacked file A15MD.302.EXE with rightclick as admin.

Battery should be above 50%, and the power supply should be connected to the wall outlet.

Regards, daddle

bigman1974
Trainee
Message 5 of 18
Message 5 of 18

Hi Daddle and thanks for your response.

I did extract the downloaded file to C://Medion, giving me the executable  A15MD.302.EXE, and it was running that file that gave me the "can't run" error.

I did find some conflicting information about the environment in which to run it, with some people advising against running it from Windows. Medion said this was ok as long as there were no programs running in background, but I found a long list of these at start up, some of which I wasn't allowed to close.

So I have two questions:

1. Can I be certain that this bios update is OK to install and won't do any damage ? (I am not talking about power issues).

2.  What is the safest environment to run the update (e.g. Safe Mode, Command Prompt) ?.

I did look at the Command Prompt option, but in Windows 10 but that has just an X:/ directory and I could not find the C:/Medion folder. Also, I don't think that the in situ Bios itself has a flash utility.

Please advise if you are able to help with my questions.

Thank you  :o)

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Message 6 of 18

@bigman1974 

Did you run the exe with rightclick on it as admin? Second was your LAptop at least

50% charged and connected to the Power Supply?

And all the programs running in the background you can close; those you cannot close do not harm normallly; or go to msconfig and choose safe start

bigman1974
Trainee
Message 7 of 18
Message 7 of 18

Hi Daddle, and thanks a lot for your advice.

1. The laptop would have been close to 100%, as the power supply has been connected continuously for some time (its fully charged at this moment)

2. No, I didn't "run as Administrator". I will try that.

3. I will try the Diagnostic Startup

regards, bigman1974

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Message 8 of 18

@bigman1974 

Why not? Thats what I wrote. It's useless if one supports and the other doesn't stick to  it!

@daddle  schrieb:

Then start the unpacked file A15MD.302.EXE with rightclick as admin.

Battery should be above 50%, and the power supply should be connected to the wall outlet.

bigman1974
Trainee
Message 9 of 18
Message 9 of 18

"Why not? Thats what I wrote. It's useless if one supports and the other doesn't stick to  it!"

The above came as a surprise, but you may not have realised that I haven't attempted to run the program again since you posted the administrator advice. I have run it as administrator now, and I still got the error message "No Bios can be flashed".

I also checked that the laptop was fully charged.  I  had to run it in Safe Mode because of the blank screen problem at startup/restart. Using the Diagnostic startup didn't allow me to "yo-yo" in and out of sleep mode (my work around to get the display back on).

regards, bigman1974

daddle
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Message 10 of 18

@bigman1974 

Well, the Bios-Update is from 2013 and was designed for Win 8.1. Maybe your Windows is by now Win 10, and that is why it does not work. 

You could make a image from your status quo, do a restore with PowerRecover, if applicable, to get Win 8.1, and do the Update. May be then it functions. After that restore your actual image.

But your blank screen problem says something is wrong with your setup. Did you try "Reststrom Entladung"? Get the rest of electric load (charge) off your mainboard?:

1. Disconnect from wall outlet

2. Take of the battery

3. Press power button for at least 15 seconds 

4. Replace battery and power supply

5. Restart the PC

If your battery is fixed within the case, try to dismount it. If this does not work, run the battery completely empty by opening bios screen and connect it additionallly to an external harddisk, the mechanical type, not a ssd, to drain the battery too.

Regards, daddle

Edit: Typo

17 REPLIES 17