cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Akoya E63003 How To Uninstall Windows Fax and Scan, when it doesn't appear in the usual places...

SOLVED
3 REPLIES 3
Brush3287
Trainee
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Akoya E63003 How To Uninstall Windows Fax and Scan, when it doesn't appear in the usual places...

I've had the above machine for about 7 months & I'm pleased with it's performance & reliability. Currently running Windows Home 20H2 release with all current updates. I had noticed that under the start menu, Windows Accessories is installed Windows Fax and Scan program. It runs & it must have been installed under the software build from Medion because I certainly did not install it. This is where things become a tad strange.

As this is an old Windows feature I'd normally expect to install or uninstall things of this type from Windows Features usually found under Control Panel. I'd also expect to be able to enable or disable a feature like this under Print and Document Services (not only did I double check this via a web search but looked at every bit of Windows Features without any mention of it). There is another odd thing about this. If you do a right click on the menu option it gives you the type of option that you normally get for a new Windows app to uninstall it. This takes you to settings where there is no trace of the feature. After doing a search on the Microsoft Store for the app it just returns results for 5 games with no mention of faxes or scanning. It's not a burning issue but I would like to get rid of it as I haven't sent a fax from a computer for about 15 years & don't like redundant applications on my machine. Any pointers to tools that'd help me get rid it gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brush3287
Trainee
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hi I have just discovered the way to resolve the issue that I reported a few days ago for not being able to uninstall the Windows Fax and Scan product.

By way of fuller information I have two accounts on my machine. The one I use regularly (like now) is  a standard user account & an administrator account. This makes for a more secure environment. With the majority of products I either "runs as administrator" & provide the password or let the software prompt me for the administrator password.

This morning whilst following up on a minor configuration issue from the latest Windows update, which I resolved, I thought I'd see how, whilst being logged in directly as administrator if I could uninstall the Scan & Fax feature. Surprise Surprise, it took me to the settings page & showed me where it was installed & allowed me to successfully remove it. I can only think that this was something to do with the way the software build was created by Medion. I haven't checked to see if I could re-install from the Administrator account but I guess I could.

Thank you to @Gehringer for the response.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Hi @Brush3287 ,

have you tried to uninstall it using the last option shown when you type "Fax and Scan" on the search bar (as below) ?

Gehringer_0-1610449063996.png

Regards,

Gehringer

Brush3287
Trainee
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Yes I have. All that does is take me to settings & there is no trace of it as an installed application. If I try to uninstall from the Start menu it does the same thing. The thing is that the options from the start menu are as if it's a modern Windows app, but it's not of course. From my recollection it's a pretty old application (as opposed to an app) with it's origins under Win 3.x (the DOS application) & got tweaked when NT was released (must be 25 years ago now).

It's not in the Microsoft Store, which is not surprising.

Thanks for your reply.

Brush3287
Trainee
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hi I have just discovered the way to resolve the issue that I reported a few days ago for not being able to uninstall the Windows Fax and Scan product.

By way of fuller information I have two accounts on my machine. The one I use regularly (like now) is  a standard user account & an administrator account. This makes for a more secure environment. With the majority of products I either "runs as administrator" & provide the password or let the software prompt me for the administrator password.

This morning whilst following up on a minor configuration issue from the latest Windows update, which I resolved, I thought I'd see how, whilst being logged in directly as administrator if I could uninstall the Scan & Fax feature. Surprise Surprise, it took me to the settings page & showed me where it was installed & allowed me to successfully remove it. I can only think that this was something to do with the way the software build was created by Medion. I haven't checked to see if I could re-install from the Administrator account but I guess I could.

Thank you to @Gehringer for the response.

3 REPLIES 3