Change the PSU because of a new videocart; which connectors

1 REPLY 1
JeroenTDX
Newcomer
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

Change the PSU because of a new videocart; which connectors

Hi,

I have some very hard question I think.. Any help would be appreciated.

My Medion Akoya ( an old i7-4790@3.6Ghz, 16Gb ddr3) worked fine with my Full HD (1920*1024) monitors, but now I have changed one to a 4K. 

With one game, Virtual Pinball, now the graphics are too slow. The tv monitor is fast enough (low lag)  and has a gaming mode. I tested it with another (newer) PC with an RTX 2060; then the monitor is perfect with Virtual Pinball. The game isn't very demanding on the graphics: it is a pinball game so most of the screen is static....just the ball rolls and some lights flash... For all other purposes the Medion has more than ample power. I only use it to watch music video's... For other work I have other computers. And it i

The CPU on my Medion isn't even working hard (below 50%) when I play the game. The cable between the 4K monitor and the Medion pc is a good quality HDMI 2.1. It display 4K at 60Hz.

So I guess I have to change the videocart. The current cart is a MSI GTX 960 2GB. It is connected with an 6 pins connector. The PSU is the FSP450-40EDMN. I couldn't find information on this PSU. The FSP site has none. I guess EDMN stands for Medion, so it is a OEM. The Medion site neither has information I could find.

I guess the 450 stands for Watts, but somewhere I read it is only 400 Watt and that the FSP450-60EDMN is 450 watt. A) Is this true? This is important because I will be needing just an additional 50 Watts at max. 

The GTX1650 and the RTX2060 are approximate in price enough for me to go for a RX2060. Especially because I want to add another 4K monitor (with mostly static image). Also I am not sure the GTX1650 will do the job. But the RTX2060 will for sure. I don't mind spending up to €400. If the Medion dies, I am sure I can make another computer or a friend have with the RTX2060.

The problem is that the RTX2060 requires an 8 pin connector and about 170 Watts (I read in some manuals, and OC will not be necessary). The FSP450-400EDMN has a 6 pin connector and the GTX960 is estimated to use a 120 Watts. 

B) Do I need to put in a new PSU for this 50 Watt extra power (remember the CPU isn't working that hard and nor will the RTX2060)? 

C) If I don't need a new PSU, there is the issue with the 6 pin connector for the current card and the 8 pin for the RTX2060. I read that about 50 watt of the power supply goes through the motherboard connection. The GTX970 then uses 70 Watt through its 6 pins connector. The 6 pins connector is defined for 75 Watt max. But the FSP450-40EDMN has some seriously think wires going to the plus, so I guess more than 75 Watts will be fine (the 6 pins definition also has to allow for crappy thin wires in very bad PSU's...). .... if the inside of the PSU doesn't mind, that is. 

The 8 pins differs from the 6 pins in that it has 2 extra ground wires, allowing for extra current. The 8 pins is defined for 150 Watts. 

Can I use a 8 pins to 6 pins molex convertor cable? 

The cable will use 2 of the 3 black/ground wires of the 6 pins to fill the two wholes? 

D) Or is it better to just open the PSU (I am ok with electronics) and find a place to draw two extra ground/black cables from, which are connected?  I think this isn't really necessary, since the AWG is thick enough to allow for the extra watts to flow, it is more the PSU ability to give more watts I am worried about?

E) If it is a bad idea to use the FSP450-40EDMN to supply the extra power for the RTX2060, then a much bigger challenge occurs. The Medion motherboard uses a lot of different connectors than a standaard new PSU has. 

I have bought (and returned) a new Corsair modulair PSU of 750 Watt. It came with a lot of (black) cables, but still I couldn't connect it to the Medion motherboard:

1) The Medion motherboard uses a 14 pin connectors, while normal PSU have a 24 pin. For this I can buy a convertor (24 to 14) cable , so I am not worried about this.

2) The Medion motherboard also has two 4 pin (2*2) connectors, i guess 5 and 12 volts. If you look at the connector the rightmost above connecting is RED (I guess 5 volts) and then clockwise YELLOW (12 v?), BLACK, <none>.  
Maybe I can find a PSU which has these connectors? Or maybe I can buy or make a convertor from 6 pins Molex connector the Corsair PSU has.

3) The Medion motherboard also has another 4 pins (2*2) connector attached. This one is BLACK , BLACK, STRIPED YELLOW-BLACK, STRIPED YELLOW-BLACK.

So while the shape is the same as #2, the colour of the cables are different. And what is this striped yellow-black cable for? This connector is closest to the CPU. Is it 12 volts? Is it 12 volts from a seperate part of the PSU? What is it? 

My main question here is, what kind of connector cables can I buy? And where? A recommondation of a replacement PSU and convertor cables, or a description what the heck the FSP450 connector are, I would really appreciate.!

And since nowadays most PSU cables are all black, how do I prevent making a mistake. E.g. the connector under 2 and 3 are interchangeble. But if you do that, you would like your motherboard I think.

Thank you, Jerry

1 REPLY 1
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Thread closed due to inactivity

1 REPLY 1