Unable to install Windows 10 on E6247

10 REPLIES 10
avelinoherrera
Newcomer
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Unable to install Windows 10 on E6247

Hi all,

I have recently purchased an empty (no OS) E6247. I am trying to install Windows 10 Home from an USB drive with the microsoft official image (I have purchased the license). The USB drive boots ok: windows logo, ask for language, "install now" button, but after click on "install now" the installation process say that "A drive controller is missing: it could be a DVD, USB or hard disc controller. If you have a CD, DVD or USB that contains that controller insert it now".

After this message I have downloaded the official drivers for E6247 from Medion support web, I have uncompressed it (generates a lot of folders "chipset", "BT", "WLAN", etc.) that I have put in a separate USB drive. The installation process on Windows 10 now let me explore all that folders but it not founds a suitable driver to continue Windows 10 installation.

The only folder in wich Windows 10 installation does not found any drivers is the "chipset" folder (i think because there is no .inf files, this folder is the unique folder that have no .inf files, only an .exe installer). Should I need the chipset .inf files? If so, how can I obtain that chipset .inf files?

I cannot continue installation without this controller that Windows 10 is requesting me. Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Hi @avelinoherrera ,

please try the troubleshooting listed on this link here

Regards,

Gehringer

avelinoherrera
Newcomer
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your interest. The things I could do was:

• Changing the USB port from wich Windows 10 installation boots (the three USB ports with the same problem).
  • Replacing the USb drive itself with a new flawless USB drive: same error.

Y cannot update the BIOS because there are no BIOS updates on Medion web for this notebook model and the other solutions rely on I have a running Windows 10, which is not the case (I am installing Windows 10 from scratch with no previous OS).

I cannot install Windows 10 :-(. Any suggestion?

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

@avelinoherrera 

You should name the MSN number, which is printed underneath the Laptops body.

It'a a 8 digit numer startting with 3... ....

Where did you buy it, from privat or from a reseller?

On which sort of  USB-drive is your Win 10 Install program? And Is the software  just an iso?

You should make a new bootable USB stick utilizing the  MediaCreationTool ,  you can download it; if you are not in Great Britain search Google for Win 10 Iso, and you automatically will see the MCT Tool for download  on Microsofts Win 10 Iso page for your country.

Your License key stays valid if it is legal, don't worry.

The Install program brings all basic drivers for all sort of hardware along; so if this does not work, then we must assume a hardware defect.

Cheers, daddle

avelinoherrera
Newcomer
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Hi Daddle, thanks for your answer.

The MSN is 30030296, I have bought it from a local reseller (MediaMarkt in Canary Islands, Spain) and the Win 10 is the official Win 10 downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/software-download/windows10ISO.

I have created then USB from the image using the "dd" tool from Linux (the same way than in previous installations for other PCs of same and others OSes with no problems). Becausee of that I think that is not an USB image problem.

Thank you.

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

@avelinoherrera 

I thought so, you have most probably a wrong USB stick.Your with DD  prepaired stick will be the problem. Linux does not take care to much of SecureBoot and UEFI bios. Although It is quite good already that it managed to boot. Your former use was most probably on older machines with Bios, or within UEFI a Bios emulation (CSM)  set to active. I don't have the time to discuss old problems, solved since years by now.

MCT brings enough drivers along.

AsI said, if the SSD isn't found, no installprogram will succeed, except maybe the MCT, because it tests and prepares the harddisk before installation starts.

Make use of the MediaCreation Tool which is Secure boot  and UEFI safe, and has less problems with all sort of machines.

I just say:  Leave it or take it. It's your choice.

cheers, daddle

avelinoherrera
Newcomer
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Hi Daddle,

I tought that the "dd" image was not the problem because of the image boots ok, but I am not an UEFI expert nor secure boot expert nor Windows expert. Because of that I am asking in this community board.

About these sentences:
"I don't have the time to discuss old problems, solved since years by now."
"I just say: Leave it or take it."

I don't think I have given you reasons to speak to me that way. If you have no time to discuss, just don't answer.

I will attempt the media creation tool. Thank you very much.

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

@avelinoherrera 

English is not my language. ,May be that explains the harsh sounding. Which for me it's just straight forward.

But first you ask here, then you get a tip to try an alternate way, which is proofed, and you start a discussion? 

About something you did in or with Linux. What for? I am not sitting in front of your PC, so I can't say or discuss any further matters, especially not about DD in Linux.

Your install-method, by the way you prepared the stick, or for other reasons, failed.

So just try it another way, thats why you asked here. 

And it s not the aim to discuss a failed way, who knows why at all it failed, as I said above.

But your aim was to get a hint for a may be better functioning method. 

That's what I gave to you. Just give it a try.

daddle

avelinoherrera
Newcomer
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Hi Daddle,

Saying that I think that the "dd" tool to create the bootable USB is not the reason because of I have used it previously is not starting a discussion I was only a data that I tought that could be useful to solve the problem. But, ok, it is your point of view and I respect it. Thanks for your time.

daddle
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

@avelinoherrera said:

...is not starting a discussion I was only a data that I tought that could be useful to solve the problem

You love discussions? This 'data" that you gave you made use of DD in Linux is ok, because I asked how did you prepare  the stick, and as I assumed, probably not with the MCT- tool. But to solve the problem would mean to analyze reasons. Which I can't, so changing the method is the appropriate way.. This is what I suggested.

Your first answer to it was associated with a sort of (invisible) question mark:" But why, I used DD in Linux".

And this is something I can not discuss. Not by knowledge, not for time reason, nor for the impossibility to know about your hardware, nor to know your skills with DD and Linux. 

So I provided a simpler safer way for a fast solution. And if your hardware  is ok, it will succeed. Please let us know the outcome.

daddle

10 REPLIES 10