I looking bios update at akoya e6228 MD 98980, i have bios version 208 

IMG_20240219_131407507.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Major_ToM
Professor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

HI @DrCiastovy ,

could you please inform about about the current running operating system of your laptop? Ex works it has been delivered with Win7, but could be updated to Win8 or similar.

Cheers

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
DrCiastovy
New Voice
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD drive, I want to replace the processor with an i7 3720QM and increase the RAM memory to 16GB.

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Hi @DrCiastovy  and thanks for the provided information.

I´d like to share my thoughts combined with a few facts on your goals.

First of all we´re taling about a PGT A35 barebone with an integrated Intel Panther Point HM77 chipset which was concepted for Intel 2nd gen platform and despite the fact, that we also distributed this series with 3rd gen. CPU it has been the Intel Core i3-3120M with a freq of 2,5 GHz, I have no reliable information, if a 37xx would be recognised but it´s obvious that the Core i7 has a many times higher heat absorption compares to the Corei3.

The max RAM capacity is 8 GB DDR3 SO-DIMM (PC3-10600/1333 MHz), so implementing 16 GB might not be sucessfull.

Anyhow, you can give it a shot and try to update your Bios version to  V 5.03 using this download, but I have to remind you about the MEDION disclaimer, that in case of any errors, caused by the execution of this update, we don´ t accept any responsibility for damage or lost of data.

Cheers

Major ToM

Another hint: To mention a community user so that they are notified when you reply, write an @ sign in front of their name (e.g. @Major_Tom)

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
DrCiastovy
New Voice
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

@Major_ToM 

Not is it HM77. it HM76

https://imgur.com/a/O90XDhr

I realize that cooling may not be able to cope with such a challenge. But there is plenty of space around the cooling system to add another heatpipe. We can always limit the processor to 30W via INTEL XTU applications
RAM DDR3 sodimm 16GB 1600MHz this is the maximum that this chipset supports.

Someone may ask themselves why improve such an old laptop?
The laptop is worth (with original specifications without hard drive and battery) approximately 10 Euro, RAM 2x8GB 1600MHz 15 Euro, i7 3720QM 20 Euro. The laptop is only used mainly for the Internet and for old games that do not require dedicated graphics (Heroes 3, Knight & Merchants), sometimes a movie.

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Hi @DrCiastovy ,

we did not question why improve such an "old laptop",I just commented on the tech facts. Get it running with 16 GB would be nice from our perspective, but we just distributed and supported it til a max capacit yof 8 GB RAM.

Cheers

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.

DrCiastovy
New Voice
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

That's works!

I haven't updated the BIOS, everything works as it should with the new system that Microsoft provides for free. Windows 11 can be installed on old hardware, just follow the instructions online. Microsoft realized that people would want to update on old hardware and provided instructions on how to do so.

I also recommend the PTM7950 thermal pad. lowered the temperature by 15 degrees compared to thermal paste.
Let this topic be for someone who is looking for help with this version of the laptop

Screenshot 2024-03-05 140103.png

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

ey @DrCiastovy ,

that´s great news, isn´t it?

Really appreciate your feedback and will keep the PTM7950 in mind,if we receive a similar request.

Have a nice one

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.

daddle
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

@DrCiastovy 

Congratulation for  optimizing the old laptop from 2012.

I justt wonder, my 2017 desktop PC with more modern hardware than your PC can offer, refuses the Upgrade from state of delivery Win 10 to Win 11.

@DrCiastovy  schrieb:
(.....)

everything works as it should with the new system that Microsoft provides for free. Windows 11 can be installed on old hardware, just follow the instructions online. Microsoft realized that people would want to update on old hardware and provided instructions on how to do so.

Could you be so kind and give me a link to those (microsoft?) pages with instructions how to install Win 11 on older hardware?

Thanks.

Regards, daddle

8 REPLIES 8