Did you mean: 

Installing Linux on Medion Akoya S2218

4 REPLIES 4
johnnewt
Beginner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Installing Linux on Medion Akoya S2218

I have picked up a second-hand Aldi Medion Akoya S2218 for the purposes of installing Zorin Lite. The laptop has 2gb of RAM, a 32gb drive and an Intel Atom processor.

I followed the instructions to create a bootable 64gb USB 2.0 USB drive (and tried it using Win32DiskImager, Etcher and Rufus) for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Zorin Lite, but I have not been able to get the laptop to boot from the USB drive. The USB drive is a brand-new Intenso drive.

I have been into the boot manager and put the USB drive as the first device to boot from, been into the rather limited BIOS and done the same (even disabling windows boot manager and the hard drive) but nothing works.

I suspect this is something to do with UEFI and have followed some online guides as to how to turn this off, but the BIOS on the laptop is very minimal without the options to run legacy USB boot and I also don't have the option to turn off Windows fast load in Windows either.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I am going wrong? 

4 REPLIES 4
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Hi @johnnewt ,

I am certain some of our LINUX experts from the community will help you.

Regards,

Gehringer

Tags (2)
johnnewt
Beginner
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Fantastic - I look forward to hearing from them, and thanks for responding!

Tags (1)
johnnewt
Beginner
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Having read through some forum posts, perhaps @Kill_Bill or @504TimeOut  might have some insight here, as they have generously answered similar questions before. Of course, absolutely no obligation to reply! 🙂

Tags (2)
qlistes
Visitor
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Hello. Have you disabled secure boot in BIOS/UEFi Settings (F2 during startup… or Delete if F2 won't work).

Although I have disabled it, my Akoya 2218S hasn't started successfully any UEFI compatible 64bit linux distro from pendrive. (32 bit neither.)

Although that, now I can use every distro I want (even with persistence mode). I do it with Ventoy tools. Here is project site: https://www.ventoy.net/

(If you mind Ventoy, theres probably some way to boot pendrive with „internal shell”. Here is something common: https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/982/how-to-format-medion-akoya-s2218-laptop-with-windows-10-u...

Try Ventoy and good luck!
Probably, your next question here will be: How to make sound card work in Linux? 😉   I don't know so far 😕
I had much work with starting it in Windows 10 20H2 32-bit, pure installation. If anyone need to know – after 10 days i found out, W10 20H2 works perfectly with Windows 8 drivers.

4 REPLIES 4