Did you mean: 

E3221 second SSD inquiry

4 REPLIES 4
Aryia
New Voice
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

E3221 second SSD inquiry

I read here that it is recommended a max 512GB M2 SSD.

What if I put a 1TB one?

I mean, the win only went from 18GB to now being around 40 (Microsoft customer service rep told me 33-38GB is "normal" and I have 64GB SSD, which is "painful").

I intend to let the built in to run the win and to use a secondary 1TB for data keeping.

Could that work? Would it be hard for my 4GB RAM to handle?

4 REPLIES 4
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

hello @Aryia and welcome

max 512GB M.2 SSD SATA is correct.

If you already have the 1TB, try it otherwise connect it externally with an adapter housing via the USB port.

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
daddle
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

@Aryia 

@Aryia  schrieb:I intend to let the built in to run the win and to use a secondary 1TB for data keeping.

Could that work? Would it be hard for my 4GB RAM to handle?

Hi, you can do it this way, but I would prefer it the other way. The new M.2 SSD is about 30% faster then the eMMC, and boot time is accordingly. And it is stupid to leave only 40 GB for the Win installation. Every Major update comes with a lot of Gigabyte, and still needs an additional amount to temporarily save Windows old.

You can reorganize the eMMC  for additional data keeping.The limited 4 GB memory will have the same performance as before.

daddle

Aryia
New Voice
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

It could be an idea. I will think abt this option.

A bit of rant: I must admit I am a bit frustrated with the amount of data OS has nowadays for 5-7 basic programs, most pple usually need. If I show you, I have 3 built in apps and that is because I kept the Whatsapp (btw the one on browser works just as fine)! So yeah, 40GB for that is tremendous when they used to be 18. I've used computers since the OS was 3 floppy discs 🙄🙈🤣🤣🤣

I haven't even considered until now the posibility to adjust memory or space. Yet here I am (and for nothing).

I found quite interesting offers on m2 SSDs. The compatibility will be a new thing to consider since here they just send the envelope with the ssd and "you handle it from there" ,🙄 A new thing to learn. I never opened my notebook before ....😂😂😂

Thanks for your advice. I'll sleep over it and decide what fits my needs the best. Also, it's about time to find a nice local technician. Getting old is no fun 🙈🤣

daddle
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

@Aryia 

@Aryia  schrieb:

A bit of rant: I must admit I am a bit frustrated with the amount of data OS has nowadays for 5-7 basic programs, most pple usually need. If I show you, I have 3 built in apps and that is because I kept the Whatsapp (btw the one on browser works just as fine)! So yeah, 40GB for that is tremendous when they used to be 18. I've used computers since the OS was 3 floppy discs 🙄🙈🤣🤣🤣

Yes but this was 35 years ago. Nowadays the OS is much more powerful. The basic win installation needs a 22 -- 25 GB already. But as I said Upgrades need double space to save the old system and to flash and patch it parallel to the new version. That gives you a change for going back to the previous version. So you need quite a big  spare space. 

And the old System can be removed manually to free space.

@Aryia  schrieb:

I found quite interesting offers on m2 SSDs. The compatibility will be a new thing to consider since here they just send the envelope with the ssd and "you handle it from there" ,🙄 A new thing to learn. I never opened my notebook before ....😂😂😂

You do not have to open your Notebook. Just a little lid at the bottom. And for compatibility you got advice here. 😉

@Aryia  schrieb:

Thanks for your advice. I'll sleep over it and decide what fits my needs the best. Also, it's about time to find a nice local technician. Getting old is no fun 🙈🤣

It's a pleasure. But you have to go with the times changes.

355 years ago you might have been able to change a bulb in your car headlights. Today you do not even find the localisation nor the screws. 😮

Bye, daddle

4 REPLIES 4