Boot from USB for Ventory or Rufus on Medion E4251

7 REPLIES 7
yukio
New Voice
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Boot from USB for Ventory or Rufus on Medion E4251

Good morning,
I have a Medion E4251, I would need to enable boot options to be able to use external USB devices so that I can install the operating system I want and clean the disk.
I can't find any option in the Bios, is it possible that it's not there or am I skipping some steps?
Thanks for the help

7 REPLIES 7
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Hello @yukio and welcome
The USB flash drive must contain bootable media and be connected to the USB port before turning on the computer.
did you do it like that?

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
daddle
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

@yukio 

That is not enough to boot from an USB stick. This works alone in case as there is no  bootable disk or an other bootabl media  in the system.  

You have two alternative methods to boot from an USB-stick, if there  still is a harddisk with an operating system on it.

1. You have to insert the stick in an USB port, then start the PC,and enter Bios. There you can put the now listed USB stick ( if it has an UEFI bootable OS) on top of the line. Leave the bios with the  F10 tab and confirm the changes to be saved. After reboot the PC should boot from  the USB stick.

But this is not permanently set, only as long as the USB stick stays inserted. If you take it out, and reboot,  zhe n boot order is changed, back as it was before.

2. You can save yourself the bios call with most PCs calling the boot menu onto the screen, by pressing the appropriate tab  at start.

Then you see onscreen all bootdevices listed, with or without bootable media, and the devices which are UEFI bootable have the addendum UEFI in their name. 

So you immediately can recognize and choose an UEFI bootable device; eg your USB stick! 

With most Medion PC (and others ) is the F10 or F8 tab to be toggled (rapid intermittent ticking on the tab) while switching  your PC on.

Some other Tabs are F11, or F12, and also it could be any of the other F-tabs. Depending which one by the manufacturer is programmed for calling the isolated boot menu onto the screen.

Just mark the device you want to boot from, and hit Enter

Cheers, daddle

yukio
New Voice
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hello @Fishtown and thank you for your reply!
Yes, these are little jobs I do on a daily basis, I use both Rufus and Ventory but they go in EFI, not UEFI, from the bios it looks like there is no option to change the boot mode.
I have disabled secure boot and done everything I think is necessary.

yukio
New Voice
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Hello everyone!
I may have solved it by using Built-in EFI Shell

1) Opened the Built-in EFI Shell, searched and tested accere on the various blk “n” example blk3
2) Found the correct blk of my external disk, I logged into the efi/boot folder
3) Inside there are some “.efi” files and I forced boot from this file

In the other BIOSes I could enable the option to also display the EFI files in the boot options, in the Medion however I had this problem that I had to do it manually.

I solved it but I thank you for your helpfulness, cheers
@daddle @Fishtown 

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

@yukio 

That's nice to hear.. Congratulations. But concerning me, you asked for booting a USB stick, and didn't mention you wanted a efi-boot.

So I had to assume you wanted a "normal" boot after POST, eg a Windows stick etc.

ad 1:) How did you open the built-in EFI?

Cheers, daddle

yukio
New Voice
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Yes I misspoke, I assumed from the title that I entered what I wanted to do.

Anyway, I have using an external hard drive, installed Ventory on it and inserted the Windows iso.

-Connecting the USB stick, I pressed F2 to enter into the BIOS.
-I disabled secure boot and applied.
-When rebooting the pc, I pressed an F key(can't remember if F7 or F8 for the boot list) and among the options it comes out: UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell

-After I click, I get the list of connected devices in the screen, in my case I gave the command: “blk3:” selecting the disk
-I see the sources with the command “dir”
-I access the folder I need, so I find with dir the EFI folder with “cd EFI”
-Then I access the BOOT folder with “cd BOOT” and then I find the file with extension .efi and I press enter writing the file name e.g. “windowsx64.efi”
-I then start the windows installation without any problems.

I hope it can be useful to you 💪

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

@yukio 

Tanks for the explanation. But how to get the Boot list or BootMenu on screen I wrote in my previous post.. I make use of it very  often. Especially the last entry "Setup" gives you easy access to  Bios Setup, 

But I never got  on any of my PCs the entry UEFI: Built-in EFI shell.

That's why I did ask.

Is it Ventoy which makes it visible?

Cheers, daddle

7 REPLIES 7