Akoya s4216 upgrade CPU? Ram?

15 REPLIES 15
Chacka
New Voice
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Akoya s4216 upgrade CPU? Ram?

Hello,

i have a s4216 Medion Akoya which i want to upgrade. Is it possible so change the CPU? If so, what is the best CPU i can mount?

I read something about the i5-3317U but havnt found any topics where ppl. did swap their CPUs.

What is the fastest Ram i can mount? I dont need 16gb but will upgrade to 8gb.

thx alot

Chacka

15 REPLIES 15
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Hi @Chacka

I'm not sure on the RAM, but I'm afraid you can't upgrade the CPU, an i5-3317U has a BGA socket, which means it is soldered to the mainboard.

Kind regards,
Bart
TPFLegionaire
Retired
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

@Chacka 

Hi
To add to @Bodgekin answer:
Major RAM manufacturer wil have a compatibility tool to check what is supported and guide you . as an example here Crucial has for this specific Medion computer. 

This is not an endorsement of this particular manufacturer so feel free to check other RAM manufacturer for their offering.
Good luck with the upgrade

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

Chacka
New Voice
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

Thx guys for the answers,

since the cpu isnt upgradable i will just keep it as it is. My GF was complaining about Performance issues so i thought about upgrading instead of buying new.

Guess she will use it until it dies and swich to a new one later.

thx again for the help 🙂

tomv
New Voice
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

Dear Median Community,

I'm new to these forums so apology if I'm going about this the wrong way but this is the closet thread I'v found in relation to my question. I have an Akoya S4216 and I'm wondering if this is upgradeable to 16GB of RAM. The previous posts touched on this but did give the a definite answer. Any help is appreciated. Currently I have 8GB installed with 2 x 4GB modules. Can I replace these with 2 x 8GB modules? My system details are:

Model/Make: Medion Akoya S4216
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU@1.7GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Current Memory Modules (x2): hynix $GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600S-9-11-B2
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 505, 28/09/2012

Thanks, Tom.

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

@tomv 

To give a correct answer, we need the MSN from your PC. It's on a sticker on the bottom.

Basically the medion database says 2 ram slots available, with one 4 GB  modules each is maximum. (2x 4096 MB DDR3 SO-DIMM (PC3-10600 / 1333 MHz). At least this is tested.

Of course you can try 2x 8GB, at your own risk. The chipset is an Intel HM77.

cheers, daddle

tomv
New Voice
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

Thanks so much @daddle for replying to my question. I greatly appreciate it. Sorry I didn't provide MSN with other info. It's not something I've ever come across before. I've located it as you described and have provided it below:

Does this help to definitely know if I can put in the 2 8GB RAM modules.

Once again thankyou for your help.

Regards,

Tom 

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

@tomv 

Hi Tom, 

yes, 8 GB is the maximum. But is your OS installed on the 32 GB mini PCIe mSATA III  6GB/s?

To Upgrade your system I would replace it with at least a 128 GB mSata 6GB/s. This will give yous system more speed.

The 500 GB HDD is a SATA II 3GB/s  only, to keep data?

You are in Australia?

Cheers, daddle

tomv
New Voice
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Dear @daddle ,

Yes I'm in Australia.

Thanks so much for your helpful and very quick replies. I greatly appreciate it.

It's an excellent idea because currently the OS is not on the SSD. I reinstalled Windows as a way of cleaning out all the junk I've built up over the years and I'm pretty sure i reinstalled on the conventional HDD thinking that was the right location. The laptop has been sluggish ever since and now that makes a bit more sense with what you've suggested.

I do have another question though and I'm wondering as you're so knowledgeable can I trouble you to ask it in this thread or should I start another? (I'm not sure on the general etiquette of forums as this is the first time I've ever used one)

Again, huge thanks for your help so far. You saved me from needlessly spending money on new RAM.

Tom

daddle
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

@tomv 

@tomv  schrieb:

I do have another question though and I'm wondering as you're so knowledgeable can I trouble you to ask it in this thread or should I start another? (I'm not sure on the general etiquette of forums as this is the first time I've ever used one)

To answer this, at least I should know the new question. 😉

Generally, for a new different theme a new thread is alright- the search function will be more satisfactory.

daddle

15 REPLIES 15