cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional M.2 drive - what spec please?

SOLVED
2 REPLIES 2
Captainbeaky
Beginner
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Additional M.2 drive - what spec please?

Hi, I've got a Medion Akoya 15303. Very happy with it.

I'd like to add an additional M.2 drive to it - there is a spare space for one in the bottom of the case.

The label says M.2 2280 PCIE/SATA

Which is reccomended please (PCiE or SATA?)

I was considering the Crucial P2 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD

Is this a suitable specification (Will it work with my laptop please?)

Kind regards,

Mike.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Captainbeaky
Beginner
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Ahh - darn it - I missed that in the manual - thank you very much for noting it - much appreciated.

I thought I had read SATA only, but couldn't find out where, and the PCIe/SATA  label on the inside face of the little cover that you remove to fit the drive, and is what got me wondering.

Thanks for that - SATA it is! Chocks away!

I have a lot of reference material and design data (Parts catalogues, service manuals, CAD files and 3D data) are on my networked drive at home and are mirrored on a plug in hard drive, but if I fit a second SSD to this laptop, it makes things a little more convenient and faster (and I think I can automate it to keep both the shared drive and my internal drive mirrored)

As a side note - I've bought this laptop to change back from Mac to PC - Apple stopped supporting my long loved 27" imac, so Fusion360 no longer runs on it! This was really frustrating, as the hardware spec of the imac is still pretty good. I did try Bootcamp, but I can only get it running Windows 8, and really need 10.....

Apples response is to buy a new computer - so I did - a PC!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

@Captainbeaky 

Hi Mike,

The manual for your PC says on page 34 the free empty space  from underneath only can be fitted with a SATA M.2 SSD.

"19. Slot for flash memory expansion module M.2 2280

Your notebook comes with a slot for a flash memory expansion module.

The free slot only supports SATA."

Where do you find the label saying PCIe or SATA?

Please state the MSN number for your notebook.

daddle

Captainbeaky
Beginner
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Ahh - darn it - I missed that in the manual - thank you very much for noting it - much appreciated.

I thought I had read SATA only, but couldn't find out where, and the PCIe/SATA  label on the inside face of the little cover that you remove to fit the drive, and is what got me wondering.

Thanks for that - SATA it is! Chocks away!

I have a lot of reference material and design data (Parts catalogues, service manuals, CAD files and 3D data) are on my networked drive at home and are mirrored on a plug in hard drive, but if I fit a second SSD to this laptop, it makes things a little more convenient and faster (and I think I can automate it to keep both the shared drive and my internal drive mirrored)

As a side note - I've bought this laptop to change back from Mac to PC - Apple stopped supporting my long loved 27" imac, so Fusion360 no longer runs on it! This was really frustrating, as the hardware spec of the imac is still pretty good. I did try Bootcamp, but I can only get it running Windows 8, and really need 10.....

Apples response is to buy a new computer - so I did - a PC!

2 REPLIES 2