cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P5370: Suspected BIOS issue regarding new SATA SSD showing as 'Removable Hardware'

6 REPLIES 6
gezzafc
Trainee
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

P5370: Suspected BIOS issue regarding new SATA SSD showing as 'Removable Hardware'

Hi everyone. I am new here.

I have a pesky problem regarding a new SATA SSD I've added to my motherboard to install Steam games on. My BOOT SSD just doesn't have enough room for games these days, so I've added a Crucial BX500 1TB 2.5in 3D NAND SATA SSD (CT1000BX500SSD1) to one of the available SATA ports. I was able to successfully set it up through Disk Management. But unfortunately, the new drive is showing as removable/ejectable media in the task bar. 

I've tried a few things in attempts to get Windows to regard the drive as internal or non-removable to no avail. Simply ignoring it concerns me, as perhaps one day I'll accidentally eject the drive while it's in use and damage or corrupt files. I also heard that a drive being treated as removable is bad for performance or file integrity. Naturally, I wouldn't want this to be the case considering that I'll be running games off it.

Here's a list of potential fixes that did not work or were irrelevant:

1. Write caching was/is already enabled
  2. I tried running the following command, but it returned "ERROR: Access is denied."
    Spoiler
    reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x
    Please note that I did include the correct Bus Number '0' in place of 'x'
  3. I also did a String Value REG edit for TreatAsInternalPort for Bus 0, then restarted my machine. There was no change and drive still shows as removable.
  4. I went in to BIOS in search of a Hot Swap setting to turn off, but there appears to be no specific setting option for hot swapping. Instead, it just shows the AHCI mode at top and controller enabled.  Please also note that all SATA drives listed in BIOS are marked as external disabled, if that means anything.

Attached are screenshots of specs and settings, starting with my System Information.

sysinfo.PNGdiskmng.PNGdvcmngproperties.PNGremovablessd.png

Could someone please kindly assist me through correcting this issue? Do I need to manually update my BIOS firmware or some other drivers? Or am I perhaps missing a setting within my existing BIOS version to fix this?

I appreciate any and all help and will provide all details needed. Thank you for your assistance!

Gezza

6 REPLIES 6
gezzafc
Trainee
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Update: I ran CMD in admin mode and it allowed the command for treat as internal port, but it has not fixed the issue. Drive still shows as removable.

Also, have I posted this topic in the correct subforum? 

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hi @gezzafc from the other side of the world and welcome to the MEDION Community,

let´s say it this way: Your current configuration differs from the original one (you definetely gained some partitions),so we have no option to replicate your experiences.

One obvious option would be to run a clean installation of the OS with the help of the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, which might solve the reported features,but this is just a personal suggestion without any relevant background

Cheers

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
gezzafc
Trainee
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Hi @Major_ToM,

Thank you for your response.

Interesting. I'm not sure how I ended up with more partitions as I don't really understand what they are in the first place.

Would updating the BIOS be an option? I noticed there's a 2018 American Megatrends firmware update in the optional updates section of Windows Update. Is there a hot swapping function that I can disable?

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Hello @gezzafc  and welcome
Try another sata port on the board.
Your current connected port may be preset as replaceable. (chipset).

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
gezzafc
Trainee
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Fishtown and thanks for your response. Unfortunately, there is only one other available SATA port. I've just tested it and same situation. Both Port 4 and 5 are set as removable. Is there a way I can change this? Should I update the chipset / firmware?

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Hello @gezzafc 
Unfortunately I can't say whether a newer chipset/firmware will change the situation; A test will show that.

But a moderator would have to take care of that, if there is one.

You still have two PCIEX1 slots, one of which is definitely covered/blocked by the thick graphics card, but the other should be freely accessible.

Would this card be an alternative for you?

https://www.exsys-shop.de/shopware/de/kategorien/diverses/1312/sata-3-pcie-x1-controller-asmedia-asm...

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
6 REPLIES 6