cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEDION Erazer Beast X30 17.3" Charger/Charging slot faulty?

9 REPLIES 9
joel-b77
Beginner
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

MEDION Erazer Beast X30 17.3" Charger/Charging slot faulty?

Hi,

So originally I bought this laptop around 2 months ago and I had the charger plugged into the laptop overnight into an extension lead. It caused the fuse to trip in the house with certain sockets now being turned off which I had to flip back on the fuse box. I then tried to recharge the laptop with the same charger and it would no longer work. Assuming something had broke in the charger I ordered a new one off of this site (Power supply with 330 watts for XMG NEO 17 (M22) and others | bestware) as it is identical to the charger that I was provided with a new adapter (Stromkabel C14 | UK | bestware) to go with it. I bought from this site as when I searched for a medion replacement, there were none on your sites for the Beast X30. The same thing then happened again with that new charger in a extension lead and fuse box so I looked up this issue and the general consensus was this charger was too powerful for an extension lead so it should be plugged straight into the wall at all times. 

So I bought the same charger again (same site) and it arrived yesterday, I have only had it plugged into the wall when while using the laptop while plugged in the charger randomly stopped working, no fuse was tripped this time, the socket still works perfectly fine with other chargers but my charger will now not work in any socket.

This is so frustrating after spending an initial around ~£2000 on this laptop from currys to then an extra £250 on chargers just for it to not work properly. I am so ready to just give up on this laptop as I have no idea how to resolve this issue and I do not feel like spending another £130 on a charger just for it to randomly stop working the next day. I have looked online to see if any other people have had similar issue's but so far it doesn't seem like it for this specific laptop.

Any help is appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Hello @joel-b77 and welcome
if your device is only two months old, you have a guarantee and don't have to invest your own money to buy a power adapter.

If it is your own fault, you can find the power pack in the Medion Service Shop under the number MSN40082375
for €29.95.: https://www.medion.com/medionserviceshop/search?msn=30033991
Check your outlet or have it checked. a cable extension cannot destroy a power supply unit, even if the extension itself is defective, it will trigger the fuse, but that's about it. Were repairs recently carried out on the electrical system and was there a mistake made with the connection (example: 380 instead of 230 volts connected)?
a cable extension is permitted up to 3500 watts, so a load of 300 watts from the power supply is not much.

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
joel-b77
Beginner
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Hi Fishtown,

Thanks for your reply and help, especially with that link. I will probably just order one I can’t be bothered to go through with claiming one or something. Although I’m not sure if it’s available to be bought to the UK but I will try. 

Anyway the first outlet with the extension lead that happened twice was in one house, but most recently (today) it was in a different house. So I’ve realised it must be an issue with the charger/laptop and not the house.

thanks for your help.

JackViljoen95
Trainee
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

Saw this post and had to chime in. I have the same model as the OP, also bought in the UK, and have experienced exactly the same issues.

The first time this happened, tripped the power in my apartment and fried the motherboard on my laptop. This was replaced under warranty by Medion, and I was sent a new, identical, power pack as the old one had stopped working.

It has then occurred a second time but luckily this time I spotted it early enough to keep the power pack far away from my laptop!

Both occasions I was using an extension lead, and surge protector with up to 13A. It says 10A on the charger cable, but perhaps its just pulling too much power.

Curious if you managed to solve this issue at all, and if so, how? Seems to be a problem with the power pack supplied with this laptop.

JoRo1973
New Voice
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Having exactly the same issue, with the same model. Was any resolution found that didn't involving the potential frying of the motherboard of=r having to fork out for a new charger every x months?

JackViljoen95
Trainee
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Hi, 

I spoke with Medion Support this week, who mentioned that their recommendation for this laptop is to plug it straight into the wall at all times and not to run it through any extension leads or adaptors. This is not really a solution to the problem of course, but both times I had been running things through some form of extension lead so this might be what is causing the issue? It seems like the power pack has absolutely no built in protection however.

They have kindly offered to send me out another replacement, and I am going to try running this from directly into the wall at all times and see if the problem repeats itself.

Medion Support mentioned there has not been any type of recall or systemic issue reported with this charger, although time will tell if more customers report the same thing.

Fingers crossed I won't need a new charger again!

My recommendation would be to get in touch with Medion Support and report the issue to them.

JoRo1973
New Voice
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for your reply. - appreciated. I'm going back to the seller initially (bought this second hand from LaptopsDirect) to get a replacement cable but I'll bear in mind the other advice.

JoRo1973
New Voice
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

So I finally got a new charger and power adaptor from Medion themselves. The laptop charges perfectly and worked fine - for about 20 minutes. It suddenly turned off and now won't turn back on. Power button comes on for 25 seconds when I try to turn it on but nothing comes up on the screen and it turns itself off again (power button light goes out). The only thing I'd done with it was turn on Secure Boot (as recommended by Windows) and download a neural filter in Photoshop.

Very displeased to essentially be back to square one again. I've had this laptop for over a month now and not had any use out of it for more than half that time. 

JackViljoen95
Trainee
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Hi there,

When pressing the power button now, are the fans starting at all, or do you hear anything from the laptop?

When it was last working, how much battery power did you have left?

Finally, did you get any power trips or electrical outages at all?

JoRo1973
New Voice
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Hi there,

Fans started and all worked well. Battery was around 85-90%. After it tripped, I plugged in the charger and that seemed to be charging and then, after about an hour, it came back on, no problems.

However it did trip out again when loading Photoshop. Charged it again and this time left it plugged in. Works no problem (so far).

I wonder if the load on the processor or power supply was just too much with PS running. Either way, the matter has resolved itself it seems. 

9 REPLIES 9