How to add HDD to an ERAZER ENGINEER X10 MD35248

SOLVED
7 REPLIES 7
hexagramme
New Voice
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

How to add HDD to an ERAZER ENGINEER X10 MD35248

I have a HDD in my old desktop PC that I would like to add to my new Medion PC. I can't quite figure out how to do it or if it's even possible. I could not find any documentation on this particular mainboard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

hello @hexagramme 
You can install your 3.5" HDD as shown in the picture, for this you have to pull out the plastic slide, see here from minute 6.05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbRDepF4Es
Below the Hdd you can also screw 2 SSD 2.5" firmly to the housing.

From a test report:

A 3.5-inch HDD can be clipped into the carriage and pushed into the space provided without tools and decoupled by small rubber buffers. There are twice as many and thus two places for SSDs. They are hooked directly under the HDD slide on one side and screwed on the other from the right or left side. The connection side thus points in the direction of the power supply unit.

You're right, of course, you need electricity for the HDD, I didn't consider that today's power supplies no longer have a cable harness with many connections, just one
sockets on the back of the power pack and depending on what you need you plug in your power cable.

https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold

now i don't know what medion supplies in the accessory pack, you may have to buy another cable.

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Hello @hexagramme  and welcome
You can connect your hard drive as the board has 4 SATA connectors and there is also space so you only need one SATA cable.
housing and space for HDD, see here

https://community.medion.com/t5/ERAZER-Gaming-PCs/Erazer-P10-MD-34585-Anleitung-und-Daten-%C3%BCber-...

bye Fishtown

Edit: here with built-in HDD

Fishtown_0-1662318807129.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
hexagramme
New Voice
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

@Fishtown thank you so much for answering.

Am I understanding it right that I only need a SATA cable and not also a power cable? The SATA is enough?

Because I can't quite work out where I should draw power from. Sorry I am not very well versed in PC upgrading.

hexagramme
New Voice
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Okay brief update, I figured out that the old HDD I wanted to install is nevertheless too big. It looks like the new Medion case only accepts 2,5" and not 3,5". My old HDD (Seagate Barracuda 3,5") requires both data connection via SATA plus a power cable to run.

I'm however still not understanding how I could draw power from the PSU to an extra HDD. Through an open slot I can only just catch a glimpse of the PSU hidden behind a metal enclosure inside the case. I can spot that it seems there are power outputs (written is something like "SATA, peripherals" etc.) but I haven't the slightest clue how to actually open up the PSU enclosure to be able to reach those outputs.

If I were to buy a 2,5 SATA SSD, would it also need both SATA cable for data transfer plus power cable?

Again, sorry for my ignorance here.

PSU.JPG

edit: here's how the enclosure is looking. The outputs are way too deep in there for me to be able to reach them.

PSU panel off.JPG

Edit 2: okay so I figured out it's possible to remove the panel on the right side of the computer. This give better access to the PSU. I see there are some cables there sticking out, one of them looks like a SATA power cable (15 pin flat shape). Would this be the correct one to use to power an extra HDD?

daddle
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

@hexagramme 

In the picture Fishtown has given you can see the right upper corner. There fit two  2.5 SSD/HDD or one 3.5" HDD.

Like you said, the flat  contact is possibly a free  power cable for an additional SSD or HDD. 

In any case, each additional disk requires a power connection plus a SATA connection cable. Almost every PSU usually has one or two free power connection cables. SATA cables you have to buy separately anyway.

Greetings, daddle

hexagramme
New Voice
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hi @daddle thanks so much! I think I did manage to find a free power connection cable buried beneath a bunch of other cables.

I tried to fit my old 3,5" HDD into the slider (holder/tray however you can call it, the slideable plastic thingie that holds the HDD in place) but it would not fit inside. I had to bend the plastic quite a lot and was afraid it would snap if I bent it more. So I'm not sure how a 3,5" can fit in the case and be held in place? Also it says on the slider 2,5". Do I need to buy a separate one of these? And would that then fit inside the enclosure in the right upper corner?

daddle
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

@hexagramme 

I do not have this PC housing. 

But I think, one has to dissasemble or dismount the holding rails for the two 2,5" SSD;

then a 3.5" disk should fit.

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

hello @hexagramme 
You can install your 3.5" HDD as shown in the picture, for this you have to pull out the plastic slide, see here from minute 6.05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbRDepF4Es
Below the Hdd you can also screw 2 SSD 2.5" firmly to the housing.

From a test report:

A 3.5-inch HDD can be clipped into the carriage and pushed into the space provided without tools and decoupled by small rubber buffers. There are twice as many and thus two places for SSDs. They are hooked directly under the HDD slide on one side and screwed on the other from the right or left side. The connection side thus points in the direction of the power supply unit.

You're right, of course, you need electricity for the HDD, I didn't consider that today's power supplies no longer have a cable harness with many connections, just one
sockets on the back of the power pack and depending on what you need you plug in your power cable.

https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold

now i don't know what medion supplies in the accessory pack, you may have to buy another cable.

bye Fishtown

7 REPLIES 7