cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot/noisy p6661. How to access heatsinks?

2 REPLIES 2
seanpenn21
New Voice
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Hot/noisy p6661. How to access heatsinks?

Hi all. As above really. I have the p6661 but it is running hot and noisy. I have all the bits to replace the thermal pastes but cannot seem to get the back off safely. Any tips or guides out there? 

Thankyou, Danke.

2 REPLIES 2
sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

I asked something similar some time ago and by the looks of it you have to send the laptop for maintenance/warranty.

As far as I've seen on my laptop you have to remove the keyboard to get a partial view over the fan. To gain access to heat sink you have to take out the motherboard and lots of things can go wrong in process. 

Having noise means reduced RPM on fan which will have fatal impact over motherboard so best to decide fast what you want to do (send it to service or take a risk to open). It might be another option but I don't know how effective it is: 

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Auto-Temp-Detection-2600-5000RPM-Nintendo/dp/B01NACVLWM/ref=zg_bs... (or something similar)

seanpenn21
New Voice
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

hi mate, thanks for the detailed reply.

well, I DID manage to get the back off in the end, unscrewed a load of screws then discovered I could sort of force it off and there turned out to be plastic lugs along one side. This made it much easier to get back on.

I removed the heatsink and the fan which is kind of all one unit. I didn't disconnect the fan as it was too fiddly but I had enough space to safely work. the thermal paste wasn't in TERRIBLE condition but I got rid of it anyway, replaced it and re-affixed the heatsink. I also used compressed air to fire as much dust out as I could.

after all that, I don't think it's made a lot of difference! same noise from the fan persists.

it is almost like the fan is very marginally tilted over to one side and at higher speeds vibrates a little due to being slightly off centre.

I accept there is a risk to the laptop from poor cooling but I don't think its POOR, just noisy. So, an irritant more than a fatal flaw.

hopefully!

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2