Erazer Beast X25 NVIDIA RTX 3070 16GB

SOLVED
36 REPLIES 36
slackbladder
Apprentice
Message 1 of 37
Message 1 of 37

Erazer Beast X25 NVIDIA RTX 3070 16GB

So I just purchased a Medion Erazer Beast laptop. https://www.overclockers.co.uk  I have issues.

Can't get into bios. This seems to be a thing with Medion stuff as I've seen threads about this. I really want to turn the AMD integrated gpu off as the temps on the CPU are already very high (usually around 86c). And my NVIDIA control panel is lacking the usual options like DRS). Secondly this 3070 laptop gpu either works well or it does'nt. What I mean is DLSS just doesn't work. If I have a game running at 45fps and I turn DLSS on my FPS increases to....45fps, sometimes worse. I appreciate it won't perform like a desktop 3070 but DLSS should work. Otherwise performance is good. But I'm not happy with a poor DLSS performance. And I have the latest drivers.

I'm not sure if anything can be done to be honest. I was suspicious that £1399 was cheap for a laptop with a 3070. But if it's a real cheap OEM version then that would explain it.

Getting into BIOS would be a start though.

36 REPLIES 36
Jforshore86
Trainee
Message 21 of 37
Message 21 of 37

Ok. Great. What settingsdo you use for the laptop? Office, gaming, or turbo? I presume that's the fan settings? Does it matter??

slackbladder
Apprentice
Message 22 of 37
Message 22 of 37

Hi

For gaming use turbo and check the settings - on the SPC settings you want them as high as possible. The CPU will get very hot, easily upto 95c and GPU to 87c but that's kinda normal with notebook type laptops. If you don't games will be limited in performance by the temp or tdp or power draw. If just watching videos and surfing web office is fine. Use MSI afterburner to keep an eye on temps but be prepared for high temperatures.

Jforshore86
Trainee
Message 23 of 37
Message 23 of 37

Thank you slackbladder for all your help. You should be able to put 2tb in the device from a youtube video i just saw, but no one mentions ram. If i need any more help, I hope I can come to you!! Thanks

xaser04
Beginner
Message 24 of 37
Message 24 of 37

Just seen this thread and thought I would add some extra info from my own experiences:

SSD wise I am running a WD SN550 1TB in the secondary NVME slot without issues. Literally as simple as opening up the laptop (undo screws on the bottom and carefully remove) and adding the drive to the spare slot - note, you may need a spare M2 screw to hold the drive in as mine didn't come with one installed. Luckily I had a few on hand from desktop motherboards. From memory the drive needed to be initialised and formatted in windows and was then available for use. 

RAM wise I upgraded the standard 2x8GB 3200 CL22 1Rx16 SO-Dimms to Kingston Fury Impact 2x16GB 3200 CL20 2Rx8 (https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KF432S20IBK2_32.pdf).  Mainly done as for video editing I wanted more than 16GB of RAM but I have seen a small but noticeable performance bump in the games I play as well. 

Performance wise I cannot fault the laptop at all. I currently have it setup on my desk alongside my R8 5900X / RTX 2070 Super system, and in the games I have tested so far it is actually a little faster (@3440x1440 no less) - Horizon:ZD Benchmark was 85 vs 82FPS. 

Only tweaks applied so far are ensuring I have maxed the Dynamic boost enabled in the control panel (seeing a sustained 142w @ ~1550-1700 core in MSI Afterburner when playing Destiny 2), and an undervolt applied via the Afterburner curve - prior to this my GPU core clocks were lower by up to 100mhz. 

(Note - I am using a cooling pad for all testing which has allowed for a little more thermal headroom). 

Overclocking is next as it feels like the GPU has plenty left to give. 

One thing I really want to test is seeing how close I can get to a R9 5900X / RX 6800 in Cyberpunk 2077 with RT on and DLSS enabled. Will be quite interesting to see if the raw RT performance advantage Nvidia has, combined with DLSS, is enough to overcome the significant delta the GPU's would otherwise have. 

Jforshore86
Trainee
Message 25 of 37
Message 25 of 37

Thank you for your input - much appreciated.

Mcjobby
Beginner
Message 26 of 37
Message 26 of 37

Great thread here, interested in buying one, reviews are limited on this model, how are peoples experiences to date

slackbladder
Apprentice
Message 27 of 37
Message 27 of 37

Well I would have been more positive about the laptop but I have two issues now. The control center that has settings for gaming etc is missing a mode for some reason and the laptops speakers are no longer working. The latter is almost certainly an issue with the atapi internal jack malfunctioning meaning i'm going to have to send it in. A real pain in the backside. Otherwise fine but i believe its relative cheapness means it isn't the most reliable. And I've only had it for a little over 6 months.

Jforshore86
Trainee
Message 28 of 37
Message 28 of 37

I too now have no loud or 3.5mm sound, I guess Bluetooth as well. Mine is 6 weeks old. How bad is the first problem you mentioned, not very clued up on laptops

Tags (1)
slackbladder
Apprentice
Message 29 of 37
Message 29 of 37

Well the control center only had basic options so I uninstalled and downloaded another from here link to download but even though it installed and I can see the icon it doesn't do anything - doesn't open or start.

The audio does at least work for me in bluetooth. It all worked fine for me yesterday but after a windows update (and a Medion update, I think, which was odd as I had not downloaded anything from medion - I had a loading bar show up on the medion logo start screen before finishing and shutting down. May be that was the culprit?) the audio stopped working. Been a mess ever since and without the control center the laptop is nowhere near as useful.

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 30 of 37
Message 30 of 37

Hi @slackbladder @Jforshore86 

hello there was a problem with a windows bios update, see here

https://community.medion.com/t5/kb/en/ta-p/130293

bye Fishtown

edit:see also:

https://community.medion.com/t5/ERAZER-Gaming/Eraser-Beast-X25-Bios-1-26MED11/m-p/130068#M1872

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
36 REPLIES 36