Erazer 6681 (MD 60677)UK MSN30022991 SSD question

#

#

#

Hello Mods & fellow Medion..

Some newbie question's on SSD's

Machine is Erazer M6681 i5 W10 16gb ram 1tb Hdd

There is a the "vacant" M.2 slot

Is it possible to fit a NVMe SSD or is it only M.2 SATA  ?

Is there any limit on capacity ?

What are the steps in the fitting & configuration process ?  

Thank you 

/tx

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Hi @aa4dpa and welcome to the FORUM!

the slot is for M2 Sata only, therefore NVME won’t work.

I don't see an issue with capacity limits but to play on the safe side, always buy products you can return and be refunded for later, if something goes wrong.

Please be aware that Medion can't be held responsible for any content posted on external websites but you can find some material regarding the fitting and the configuration process. Two examples are this link and this link.

Regards,

Gehringer

View solution in original post

Gehringer
Retired
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Hello @GoodHubby and welcome to the Forum!

Please find below the specs of the SSD which is present in other versions of the same product model:

Phison PS3111-S11

* Form Factor: M.2 2280-D5-BM
* Capacity: 128 GB
* SATA Interface: SATA Revision 3.1
* SATA 1.5Gbps, 3Gbps, and 6Gbps interface

Flash Interface
* Flash type: TLC
* 1pcs to 4pcs of TSOP / BGA flash

Performance
* Read: up to 550 MB / s
* Write: up to 450 MB / s

Temperature Range:
* Operation: 0 * C ~ 70 * C
* Storage: -40 * C ~ 85 * C

And please find below a photo of the component:

SSD photo.png

Regards,

Gehringer

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Hi,

See this picture to get an idea about how it works.

That's from my laptop where I have same as you a socket M key lock while the SATA M2 Drive is made to work on either M, MB or B key lock. Don't worry about that, the drive will work just fine.

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

To transfer OS from old drive to M2 you need to boot normal via old drive (until the transfer is made).

From what I know Samsung also provide the tools for transfer OS. If not, you can use either AOMEI-Data-Backuper  or MiniTool Partition Wizard 

Needless to say but, save your files on external media before start the transfer as many things can go wrong and might end up on data loss. Also at the end of transfer you might need to edit the partitions on the old drive to make use of all the space.

With MiniToolPartitionWizard you can "migrate the OS to SSD" choosing to keep the old drive in computer (only OS partitions will be hid after that). After migration change in bios/uefi boot sequence to boot from m2 drive and once it's all done use again MiniToolPartitionWizard to resize and make use of ex-os partitions from the old drive.

With AOMEI-Backuper you can clone the old drive with the option of resize partitions to fit the new drive and after setting the new boot sequence and all is nice and well, manage partitions on old drive to make use of all available space.

Either way, all the job should take less than 2h.

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Hi @aa4dpa and welcome to the FORUM!

the slot is for M2 Sata only, therefore NVME won’t work.

I don't see an issue with capacity limits but to play on the safe side, always buy products you can return and be refunded for later, if something goes wrong.

Please be aware that Medion can't be held responsible for any content posted on external websites but you can find some material regarding the fitting and the configuration process. Two examples are this link and this link.

Regards,

Gehringer

GoodHubby
Newcomer
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

I realise this is an old thread, but I have the same question, and I would like to challenge the response that this machine will only support a SATA m.2 SSD. Is this the official spec (which I can't find on the Medion site for this laptop)?

I know that Crucial show the supported interface is SATA, but what do Medion say?

The reason I am asking this because the M.2 slot on the mainboard is a NVMe connecter not a SATA connector (ie, it has one key, not two).

Does anyone know if NVMe will work in this machine? If not, it seems like a very odd design to allow it physically!

Gehringer
Retired
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Hello @GoodHubby and welcome to the Forum!

Please find below the specs of the SSD which is present in other versions of the same product model:

Phison PS3111-S11

* Form Factor: M.2 2280-D5-BM
* Capacity: 128 GB
* SATA Interface: SATA Revision 3.1
* SATA 1.5Gbps, 3Gbps, and 6Gbps interface

Flash Interface
* Flash type: TLC
* 1pcs to 4pcs of TSOP / BGA flash

Performance
* Read: up to 550 MB / s
* Write: up to 450 MB / s

Temperature Range:
* Operation: 0 * C ~ 70 * C
* Storage: -40 * C ~ 85 * C

And please find below a photo of the component:

SSD photo.png

Regards,

Gehringer

aa4dpa
Trainee
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

1616581770682-698928686.jpg

 Hi picking up on this thread.  I took the initial advice and recently purchased an M2 Sata popped the panel off to see that indeed whilst the motherboard only has one retaining key the M2 Sata has 2..  Please advise 

1616581965720-935884129.jpg

1616582000641-117304009.jpg

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Hi,

See this picture to get an idea about how it works.

That's from my laptop where I have same as you a socket M key lock while the SATA M2 Drive is made to work on either M, MB or B key lock. Don't worry about that, the drive will work just fine.

aa4dpa
Trainee
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Thank you I was reticent to open the packaging on the the new drive in case I needed to return it.  I will move forward and fit the new drive  & report back.. 

/tx Aa4D 

aa4dpa
Trainee
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Progress thus far..

1tb Samsung 860 evo sata m2 SSD fitted used Windows 10 advanced start up to boot to the uefi bios page, which recognised the SSD saved bios and rebooted, opened disc management and lo & behold..  Next mission is to migrate W10 across to boot from the SSD

Perchance is there a straightforward way of doing this..   

1tbsatam2 ssd.JPG

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

To transfer OS from old drive to M2 you need to boot normal via old drive (until the transfer is made).

From what I know Samsung also provide the tools for transfer OS. If not, you can use either AOMEI-Data-Backuper  or MiniTool Partition Wizard 

Needless to say but, save your files on external media before start the transfer as many things can go wrong and might end up on data loss. Also at the end of transfer you might need to edit the partitions on the old drive to make use of all the space.

With MiniToolPartitionWizard you can "migrate the OS to SSD" choosing to keep the old drive in computer (only OS partitions will be hid after that). After migration change in bios/uefi boot sequence to boot from m2 drive and once it's all done use again MiniToolPartitionWizard to resize and make use of ex-os partitions from the old drive.

With AOMEI-Backuper you can clone the old drive with the option of resize partitions to fit the new drive and after setting the new boot sequence and all is nice and well, manage partitions on old drive to make use of all available space.

Either way, all the job should take less than 2h.

Cheers

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Hello again,

Sorry for double post but I just remember something (optional).

A piece of advice, use ProduKey to save windows licence key in case you ever need to start installing windows from scratch. Keep it safe. Usually Windows save the key licence in bios but, better safe than sorry, a back-up can't hurt.

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11