8 314 Visites

MEDION AKOYA P4375 D (MD 8880) - Upgrade RAM

Hello there,

I have the above mentioned PC with the following specs:

System Manufacturer MEDIONPC
System Model MS-7708
System Type X86-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU         550  @ 3.20GHz, 3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Name AMD Radeon HD 5670
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.99 GB

However I am currently upgrading my pc, having already fitted a i5 760 CPU, and upgraded the windows to 64bit so that i can use 8GB of RAM.

Yesterday, however, I installed 2x4gb RAM and when I checked the system information it said "8gb RAM installed, 3,99GB RAM usable"

I have tried to solve this but i think that the problem may be the BIOS of my motherboard.

Can anyone help me to use the full 8GB of ram?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

1 SOLUTION APPROUVÉE

Solutions acceptées
RicardoCruz
Beginner
Message 5 sur 5
11 279 Visites
Message 5 sur 5
11 279 Visites

Hi everyone,

I have solved the issue. There were 2 issues.

First, I removed my CPU and noticed that the socket had 3 or 4 bent pins. I used a small needle to bend them back into place. After that the I had no more "usable" ram indication. However the 2x4gb RAMs did not work. Only 2x2gb rams, or 2gb+4gb.

This was beacuse my 4gb RAMs were 1600mhz, and I have been informed that the MS-7708 Motherboard cannot support anything other than 1333Mhz.

I had a friend sell me his 2x8GB rams with 1333Mhz (even though I know my motherboard can only go up to 8gb total, but i eventually will change my motherboard, so I already have 16GB there to use) and now it states a full 8GB usable.

Thanks for your help everyone

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

4 RÉPONSES 4
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 sur 5
8 289 Visites
Message 2 sur 5
8 289 Visites

Hi @RicardoCruz

I've never heard of a BIOS or motherboard limiting RAM usage in such a way, normally if a motherboard does not support the placed amount of RAM, it would simply not see it or not even boot the system. 

Are you sure you installed a 64 Bit windows version correctly?

And did you buy 2 new modules, or are you still using the original Dimm? Are the Dimms exactly the same?

Kind regards,
Bart
RicardoCruz
Beginner
Message 3 sur 5
8 287 Visites
Message 3 sur 5
8 287 Visites

@Bodgekin wrote:

Hi @RicardoCruz

I've never heard of a BIOS or motherboard limiting RAM usage in such a way, normally if a motherboard does not support the placed amount of RAM, it would simply not see it or not even boot the system. 

Are you sure you installed a 64 Bit windows version correctly?

And did you buy 2 new modules, or are you still using the original Dimm? Are the Dimms exactly the same?

Hello Bodgekin,

I did a clean install of the 64bit windows 10 home edition. I even reinstalled it yesterday. Its already activated and everything.

I bought Crucial 2x4gb 1600mhz.  DIMS are exactly the same.

However, I have tried different RAMs (even the old ones 2x2gb which were there since I bought the PC) and I noticed that in this case the system stated 4gb (1,99GB usable).

I then tried 6gb ram (2gb + 4gb), to see if there may be some problem with the slots or something and i noticed the following:

First: system said 6gb (3,99gb usable)

second time I switched them around and it said: 6gb (1,99gb usable)

Maybe there is somethin wrong with 1 particular slot.. anyone has any idea?

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 sur 5
8 275 Visites
Message 4 sur 5
8 275 Visites

@RicardoCruz

You definitely must have a problem with the ram-slot, because the total amount of ram ist stated, but Windows only can utilize ~2 Gb with four GB installed, or  2 gb out of 6, and if you switch slots it is 4 out of 6. So the one slot doesn't gives you full usage, even not with the original 2x2 GB installed!

The defective slot in that case is the one with the 4 GB-Dimm which doesn't give you in total 6 GB, but only 1.99 GB! Then it must be the slot with the 4 GB-dimm inside.

Try to reseat the dimm properly, check if there aren't contacts bend, and it is flipped properly in place and the secure little metal application on the side snaps in correctly.

regards, daddle

RicardoCruz
Beginner
Message 5 sur 5
11 280 Visites
Message 5 sur 5
11 280 Visites

Hi everyone,

I have solved the issue. There were 2 issues.

First, I removed my CPU and noticed that the socket had 3 or 4 bent pins. I used a small needle to bend them back into place. After that the I had no more "usable" ram indication. However the 2x4gb RAMs did not work. Only 2x2gb rams, or 2gb+4gb.

This was beacuse my 4gb RAMs were 1600mhz, and I have been informed that the MS-7708 Motherboard cannot support anything other than 1333Mhz.

I had a friend sell me his 2x8GB rams with 1333Mhz (even though I know my motherboard can only go up to 8gb total, but i eventually will change my motherboard, so I already have 16GB there to use) and now it states a full 8GB usable.

Thanks for your help everyone

4 RÉPONSES 4