MEDION AKOYA E42019 (MD 34280) A-UK - USB 3.0 issues

7 REPLIES 7
mrmortar
Beginner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

MEDION AKOYA E42019 (MD 34280) A-UK - USB 3.0 issues

Hello all,

I own the machine in title and have had this annoying issue since the start whereby some of my high speed USB devices drop off the USB bus when you try and perform any copy operation to/from them.

The symptoms are: under Windows 10, you start the copy from USB device to hard disk, you can see the transfer rate building and then starts to drop off to nothing at which point the event logs show  'An error was detected on device \Device\Harddiskx\DRxx during a paging operation' type of errors. I also get messages say the USB 'Reset to device, \Device\RaidPortxx, was issued'.

I know the USB devices are fine because I can put them into a Lenovo or HP laptop that supports USB 3.0 and repeat the same operation with no problem.

I tried sometime back to update the drivers which I thought cracked it but the issue was still there.

Windows 10 seems to think the drivers loaded are the best ones for the device.

****Update - I spoke to support and they asked me to try the motherboard mounted ports on the rear of the PC, which I did. These work fine. The problem appears to be related to the two front USB 3.2 ports.

Anyone else on here experienced similar issues?

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Hi @mrmortar ,

can you please clarify if all the USBs at the rear of the unit work fine?

Also, do the USBs at the front of  the unit recognize your USB stick normally?

And, have you tested other USB sticks as well?

Regards,

Gehringer 

mrmortar
Beginner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

The rear mounted ports (there are four together) and according to the manual are also USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A work fine when i tested.

Slower speed USB devices appear to be fine, it's only those devices capable of the highest speed that cause issues.

Gehringer
Retired
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hi @mrmortar ,

the 2 USB ports you have in front of the unit are the same as the array of 4 USB ports you have at the rear of the unit.

MD 34280.PNG

Should a USB stick work normally in any port of the rear 4 USB ports array, it should work normally on both of front USB ports as well. Respectively, if the USB stick does not work normally in one of these ports, then it should not work normally in all of them.

If it is not the case, then you may have a hardware fault and I suggest you contact your local Medion technical Support team to have your unit assessed by a technician in one of our service centers.

Regards,

Gehringer

mrmortar
Beginner
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Yes I was thinking hardware fault too. I had a look under the cover and the front ports connect via a cable to the motherboard. I re-seated the connector which changed the symptoms so the USB device connected would hang before copy rather than before when it would start copying then fail.

PunyChicken
Newcomer
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

@Gehringer wrote:

Hi @mrmortar ,

the 2 USB ports you have in front of the unit are the same as the array of 4 USB ports you have at the rear of the unit.

MD 34280.PNG

Should a USB stick work normally in any port of the rear 4 USB ports array, it should work normally on both of front USB ports as well. Respectively, if the USB stick does not work normally in one of these ports, then it should not work normally in all of them.

If it is not the case, then you may have a hardware fault and I suggest you contact your local Medion technical Support team to have your unit assessed by a technician in one of our service centers. Upsers

Regards,

Gehringer

What a great and, of course, well written post. It`s so useful…

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

HI @mrmortar ,

did you have the chance to run a test with the MEDION Service App in case there could be any kind of HW failure?
Otherwise check if your Bios has been updated to the current version 1.05, which can be downloaded here.

Cheers

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
mrmortar
Beginner
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the firmware and diagnostics - out of curiosity, how do you access the BIOS update binaries as I couldn't find any link to this from the main Medion downloads site?

Is there any readme that tells what is resolved/amended in this BIOS version?

7 REPLIES 7