11 REPLIES 11
rayalco
New Voice
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

HELP - MEDION ERAZER P66078 Unexpected power off

Hi I have a Desktop 

MEDION ERAZER P66078 (MD 34629) UK, MSN: 1002 3317, PC System D098 UK

This unit has a GTX1650 in it and I am running windows 11.

It is out of warranty by 8 months

It has started to shut down unexpectedly and it is doing more frequently.  The computer will be running and then all power goes off.   It will not restart after this.  To get it to restart you have to physically unplug the power cable and wait a few seconds, plug it back in and it powers up.

I first noticed on steam games so I thought it was GPU overheat.  I have been monitoring system and GPU temps and making sure there is sufficient fan cooling applied.  The system has become more unstable and just shuts down when using teams or other simple desktop apps.   I am not seeing GPU overheat triggering this.

I have replaced the PSU with a new higher power PSU as all signs were pointing to a faulty PSU.  Clearly that is not the problem.

What else can cause a PC to stop completely and suddenly as if the power was switched off.   What else can I try to isolate the issue?  I dont have another GPU or another desktop machine to go swapping bits.

Hoping for some pointers.  Thanks 

11 REPLIES 11
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

@rayalco 

This sounds like a hardware defect in one of the components. Take one after the other out, RAM, (one modul at time), HDD, SSD M.2 SSD, GTX 1650 etc.

Oh, sorry, you cannot take the graphic card out, the is no graphic chip in side the CPU.

Take another graphic card for testing.

You can boot if needed, depending on the disconnected parts, from a USB stick (Media Creation Tool), or a Linux DVD.

But at first I would make a image from the situation now, safe on an external drive, then do a reset to factory installation with Power Recover, (booting with the F11 tab pressed), and test the machine then with various installed programs.

At last you can replace your image to be in the situation you were  before testing.

cheers, daddle

rayalco
New Voice
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Thanks Daddle

I will start working through that.  I have done the memory already but couldnt do the gpu as i dont have another and as you say there is no onboard graphics.

apart from Steam games I havent found a repeatable way to definitively trigger the fault so it could be tricky hunting

Ray

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

@rayalco

Yeah, it will be a long hunt!

What you could try first is discharging the whole system 

--> https://community.medion.com/t5/Videoclips-Tips-Tricks-Tutorials/Tips-Device-isn-t-responding/ta-p/9...

But seeing you swapped the PSU, it implicated the discharging  already.

And check the Bios Version, and name it here, please.

daddle

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Hello @rayalco and welcome
I think it's the on-off switch. This is a button that does not lock in and closes a contact when pressed.

I think it has a temporary malfunction and closes the contact for a little longer and on its own. As a result, the computer shuts down. If you operate it by hand for a longer period of time, that's exactly what happens. When the computer is on, try removing the plug from the cable to the button on the board.

Be careful, the device is under voltage.

Fishtown_0-1695842767283.png

https://community.medion.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/9510i968E7F68022D5384/image-size/large?v=v...

Now play for a longer period of time or leave it on for several hours/days.

If it doesn't switch off then there is a very high probability that the button is defective, then replace it, see also here:

https://community.medion.com/t5/ERAZER-Gaming-PCs/Startknopf-defekt/m-p/136399#M5761

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
rayalco
New Voice
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

just an update, BIOS version is 360H4WOX.115 x64

daddle
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

@rayalco 

I do not believe it is in your case the power switch faulty; if it had a double action, the PC would repeatedly and ongoing be in a  bootloop state.

But you describe an  unmotivated shutdown inbetween.

A Bios Update you can check in Device Manager Firmware - Systemfirmware and trying to update there.

daddle

rayalco
New Voice
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Thanks Daddle.. I dont see an update anywhere on the Medion main page for this.  Do you know if .115 is the latest

And, many thanks for all the suggestions of help.  You guys are very generous with your expertise

daddle
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

@rayalco 

Yes, as far as I know V 115 is the latest.

daddle

rayalco
New Voice
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Hi guys.  I have an update but still no solution

I had replaced the original SSD with a 500GB WD Black NVME drive about 1 year ago. I ran the WD supplied diagnostics on the WD drive and it said 100% healthy so I didnt think this was the problem BUT for the sake of clarity, I tested this.  What I did was to remove the WD drive and put back in the orginal 128GB drive that the unit shipped with.  I had kept it in a drawer completely unchanged so it was still booting windows 10.and had no updates or anything on it.

I ran the PC and the fault did not come back.  I tried diffrent games and scenarios.  I thought then I had a faulty WD drive.. with a physical fault. I returned the WD under warranty and expect a new one any day.

However, 128GB is not enough for me so I ordered a new crucial p3 Plus 1TB drive

I cloned the 500GB WD drive to the new Crucial 1TB drive and put it back in the machine thinking all was well.  

However.. the fault is still there.  Even under everyday use the computer just randomly shuts down.. complete power off.

So the fault must lie in the operating system that was cloned from the WD not a phyisical fault.  But what kind of OS fault casues a complete power off without any kind of warning.

Any suggestions appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11