cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model P7651-MD61016 - Webcam stopped working, not listed in devices, not found with hardware search

18 REPLIES 18
flynntommy
Apprentice
Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

Model P7651-MD61016 - Webcam stopped working, not listed in devices, not found with hardware search

Hi. The webcam on my laptop won't work.  I have tried everything - control panel, device manager, troubleshooting, but to no avail.  It was working fine a few days ago (I was on skype) and hadn't used it since.  But today it was saying that there is no camera attached, the camera is grayed out in skype, not listed in device manager (even when I displayed hiddem devices) and no amount of searching finds the device.

Any help appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
flynntommy
Apprentice
Message 11 of 19
Message 11 of 19

Hi @Gehringer,

I am now on my phone as I decided to do a reset (keeping personal files but losing apps/programmes). 

I am absolutely furious as nothing has changed - still no cam, no USB3, only 1 USB3...plus now I have to re-install every programme from scratch, including Outlook (the data files better be there for all my 6 email accounts - work and personal) . I now have at least 2 days work ahead of me to get this laptop back to some kind of working order, and still no cam, etc. 

When is there going to be a fix for this? I will not go back to a full factory reset as God knows what else I'll lose! ! 

I am both furious and disappointed at the same time. I spent a lot of my hard-earned cash on this laptop last December, agonising over spending so much, and now I will lose two days pay as well getting it back to some ki d of working order!  

Gehringer
Retired
Message 12 of 19
Message 12 of 19

Hi @flynntommy, I am very sorry for your situation.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, Medion can't launch patches to solve Windows updates issues but we understand the waiting may be unpleasant.

Regarding your case, we will continue to look for solutions to solve your problem, whenever it is possible.

Concerning your e-mail messages, if they are in the cloud or if you have backed local data up before performing the factory settings reset, there is no reason for losing any data.

After a successfull factory settings reset, you should see your webcam listed back among your devices. Is this the case?

Prior to reinstalling all the programs, since you are also experiencing USB issues after the reset, please check at your device manager menu if both your webcam and USB drivers are active and updated. Look for exclamation marks on them and, if that is the case, disable them, reinstall drivers and re-enable them.

If this does not solve your problem, it might be a Hardware fault and, in this case, please visit this website and get in touch with Medion helpline for booking a repair.

Please come back and let us know if your problem is solved.

Regards,

Gehringer

flynntommy
Apprentice
Message 13 of 19
Message 13 of 19

I have yet to do a factory reset as I decided to wait for the so-called major update on November 12th.  I did the update and still nothing has changed.  I cannot believe that I will have to do a factory reset, losing everything I have, just to fix an issue that was not my fault.  I now have to give up hours of my time to do this, thus losing work hours (and payment!).  I am now wishing that I had spent the little extra on a Macbook.  I had one before and never had an issue with it.  I went back to laptops as I couldn't afford the high price - but now I wonder would it have been worth it.

Never again will I choose a Medion laptop or Windows.

Gehringer
Retired
Message 14 of 19
Message 14 of 19

Hi @flynntommy and welcome back to the Forum.

Once again, I am very sorry for your situation and I can understand your frustration.

I insist that if you back local data up before performing the factory settings reset, you shouldn't lose any data stored in the HD.

Also,If this does not solve your problem, you can still count on Medion to help you check if it is a hardware fault.

Just get in touch with its helpline for booking a repair through this website.

In the meanwhile, have you contacted Microsoft to let them know about your case? They may offer you a solution if the problem is with the Windows update.

Please don't hesitate to come back and let us know if (and how) has your problem been solved.

It would help a lot other users which may be having the same issue as you are.

Regards,

Gehringer

flynntommy
Apprentice
Message 15 of 19
Message 15 of 19

Hi @Gehringer and Merry Christmas

I finally have had to give in and did a factory reset today, December 26th, when I finally had some free time. I wiped the laptop, deleting all files and then restarted from scratch.

Unfortunately, it was not a success - the webcam still was not recognised, nor would it work; the USB3 still gave the error message, and one of the USB2 was the same as before.

I have now sent an email to the helpline, requesting a repair.

It has been so disheartening that nothing would work, and I am furious at Microsoft for the complete lack of support, as I am still assuming it was a Windows Update that caused the issues.  We will see if that is the case when Medion respond to the repair request.

Many thanks for all the patience and advice. It has been very much appreciated.

Tommy

flynntommy
Apprentice
Message 16 of 19
Message 16 of 19

Just an update on this.  I had to get  repair done and they replaced the webcam and USBs, including the motherboard!! I am told that is because everything is integrated.

Customer Support were brilliant, but the service department, not so much.  I got the laptop back and the underneath casing was broken (and the protector mat between screen and keyboard wasn't returned).  So again I had to send it back!  Of course the drama didn't stop there...courier never came on the day given, and I had organised someone to be at home, someone who had to change their plans especially.  Anyway, it eventually was picked up.  Due to work commitments, I was going to be in Germany for a few weeks when the laptop was supposed to be returned, so they said they would return it to my German address.  Lo and behold, they ended up returning it to my home address!!  Again, another pickup had to be organised (again a day later than they said, again plans had to be changed).  So finally I got the laptop back today.  It was gone from December 30th until today, February 14th!

Anyway, I am now thinking of changing the SSD and putting in a 1TB one.  Just wondering if these specs are suitable:

Crucial:

INTERN

Modultyp: M.2 Type 2280, Modulgröße: 1 TB, Schnittstelle: SATA 6.0 GBit/s, Random Lesegeschwindigkeit (IOPS): 95000, Random Schreibgeschwindigkeit (IOPS): 90000

OR 

Lenovo:

INTERN

Eigenschaften:

Schnittstelle: High-Speed PCIe Gen3x4

2100 MB/s Lesen und 1600 MB/s Schreiben, NVMe 1.3 unterstützt

perfekt für PC-Enthusiasten

3,5-fache Geschwindigkeit einer SATA-basierten SSD

Formfaktor M.2 2280

keine beweglichen Teile verbaut, daher stoß- und vibrationsfest

3D NAND mit Low-Density Parity Check (LDPC)

Kapazität: 1 TB

Gewicht: 9 g

Thanks in advance!

flynntommy
Apprentice
Message 17 of 19
Message 17 of 19

@Gehringer , I forgot to tag you in the above message, and to say thank you again for your advice.

Gehringer
Retired
Message 18 of 19
Message 18 of 19

Hi @flynntommy 

unfortunately you would not be able to have a NVMe SSD installed in your machine, so I would recommend you to buy the 1st option:

Modultyp: M.2 Type 2280, Modulgröße: 1 TB, Schnittstelle: SATA 6.0 GBit/s, Random Lesegeschwindigkeit (IOPS): 95000, Random Schreibgeschwindigkeit (IOPS): 90000

Please make sure to buy it from a seller that does accept refund or return just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Gehringer

flynntommy
Apprentice
Message 19 of 19
Message 19 of 19

@Gehringer - Many thanks again. I will pick up that SSD in the next few days and will ensure there is an option of returning it.

18 REPLIES 18