Beginner
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

System won't boot

Hi, my laptop crashed last night and I'm unable to get it to boot. It's a 

Medion Erazer X7843 Core i7-6820HK
32GB 1TB + 240GB SSD Nvidia
GTX980M 8GB 17.3" FHD Win 10
It boots to a screen that says, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Medi in selected Boot device and press a key". The Kingston SSD is listed in the BIOS as having 0.0Gb capacity. I've tried booting from WinPE boot disks but when it attempts to launch the OS it hangs on the Medion logo screen. I saw elsewhere that a recovery partition/folder exists on the the second drive. It was suggested that pressing F11 during the boot would load this or a menu to access this. It doesn't. I'd appreciate any help or advice on a USB boot disk image that might work.  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Hi @leydar

Sounds to my like the SSD is broken, perhaps try to disconnect it and then try to boot from your bootdisks? If it doesn't work you can always make a Windows 10 usb stick with the Media creation tool.

Kind regards,
Bart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Hi @leydar

Sounds to my like the SSD is broken, perhaps try to disconnect it and then try to boot from your bootdisks? If it doesn't work you can always make a Windows 10 usb stick with the Media creation tool.

Kind regards,
Bart
leydar
Beginner
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Hey Bodgekin

Thanks, yes that turned out to be the case. The drive is also a 7mm deep one. The SSD and diskdrive are cradled back to back so a regular notebood SSD won't physically fit. When I took out the faulty drive, the USB recovery disks booted just fine. I installed Windows 10 from Microsoft's support site. The first couple of times it got stuck in a boot/crash loop citing different reasons for the failure. When I removed the secondary drive it installed fine. Then I put it back in after install and it's mostly been running OK. It did crash once but rebooted into Windows afterward. This is the second Kingston 250Gb SSD that has failed like this, albeit in different machines.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2