Did you mean: 

What upgrades I can do

6 REPLIES 6
gigimarpha
New Voice
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

What upgrades I can do

Hello guys, I've obtained today an MEDION Akoya E5411 Notebook for free. Since it came without the HDD, I've decided to buy for it an SSD.. for fun, like an upgrade. Now I wonder what the max upgrades for this laptop would be ? Since I prefere the vintage/old/retro look of this kind of laptops I wanna upgrade them to their max performances. All I know about it is that he has 3GB ram and some Pentium Processor. I wanna do this build for fun, don't wanna buy a new laptop cause I'm already havin one.

Just wondering if you can help me with the max compatibility pieces for the processor/video card (if its changable)/ and other stuff you may think is necessary. I've searched the internet about this model but I couldn't find much informations about it. Thanks alot and let's revive this beast!! (If it's upgradable I'll keep you guys updated, I'm planning to repaint the case and more "tuning" stuff to come)

6 REPLIES 6
Luke
Community Manager
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Hi @gigimarpha,

welcome to our Community.

I`ve checked the data sheet of your E5411, a rather old unit, but I have at least two recommendations for you:

1. RAM:

2x 2048 MB DDR2 SO-DIMM (PC2-6400/800 MHz)
(2/2 used; 4 GB max.)

As you can see, it already has it`s max. of 4 GB RAM onboard. You don`t see the full capacity as Win Vista can only handle 3.2 GB RAM.

Solution: You may install WIN 10 64 bit, which is able to address the full capacity. Problems may occur due to missing drivers, but it`s

worth a try... on your own risk.

2. HDD:

HDD 2.5"; SATA 3.0 Gb/s; 320 GB; Western Digital

I would suggest to replace the old HDD by a modern 2.5" SSD, let`s say 250 GB or 500 GB. This should result in a

real power boost in speed & performance. And again: No guarantee that it will work, just a suggestion.  Smiley Happy

Luke

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
gigimarpha
New Voice
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

@Luke wrote:

Hi @gigimarpha,

welcome to our Community.

I`ve checked the data sheet of your E5411, a rather old unit, but I have at least two recommendations for you:

1. RAM:

2x 2048 MB DDR2 SO-DIMM (PC2-6400/800 MHz)
(2/2 used; 4 GB max.)

As you can see, it already has it`s max. of 4 GB RAM onboard. You don`t see the full capacity as Win Vista can only handle 3.2 GB RAM.

Solution: You may install WIN 10 64 bit, which is able to address the full capacity. Problems may occur due to missing drivers, but it`s

worth a try... on your own risk.

2. HDD:

HDD 2.5"; SATA 3.0 Gb/s; 320 GB; Western Digital

I would suggest to replace the old HDD by a modern 2.5" SSD, let`s say 250 GB or 500 GB. This should result in a

real power boost in speed & performance. And again: No guarantee that it will work, just a suggestion.  Smiley Happy

Luke

Thanks!! What about proc and graphics ?

Luke
Community Manager
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Hi again, @gigimarpha,

I didn`t mention them as they cannot be replaced or would gain no real advantages...  anyway, here`re the specs:

CPU Intel® Pentium® Mobile T6400 2,00 GHz

+

nVidia GeForce 8200M G
(onBoard, shared memory)

Luke

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
gigimarpha
New Voice
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

@Luke wrote:

Hi again, @gigimarpha,

I didn`t mention them as they cannot be replaced or would gain no real advantages...  anyway, here`re the specs:

CPU Intel® Pentium® Mobile T6400 2,00 GHz

+

nVidia GeForce 8200M G
(onBoard, shared memory)

Luke

My processor is intel pentium T4200 socket P478, i was wondering if i can upgrade it to an: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2M 2.20GHz socket P478. I'm not sure this will work because this processor has 35w power and I don't know in wich matter this will affect the entire run.

Luke
Community Manager
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi @gigimarpha,

As I`ve written before...  I don`t think that a different CPU is worth the cost & effort. The only way to speed-up

this old girl in a reasonable way is to install WIN 10 & a SSD.

Greetings,

Luke

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.

gigimarpha
New Voice
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

That cpu is only a few bucks, very cheap and worth the try i guess. Only wanna know if it s compatibile

6 REPLIES 6