cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find an updated bios for the Erazer X40 (4090)?

SOLVED
31 REPLIES 31
Tijgert
Contributor
Message 1 of 32
Message 1 of 32

Where to find an updated bios for the Erazer X40 (4090)?

I just got my new Erazer X40 in and I know about all the problems recent gaming laptops have been having.

I'd like to check if my bios is the most current or if there is a new one that improves performance (reduces crashes).

There is no download for bioses that I can find, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Tags (3)
31 REPLIES 31
Mitcheroo
Trainee
Message 21 of 32
Message 21 of 32

I am going to invest in the watercooler. Thanks for your advice. Any idea on how to overclock the ddr5 5600 to 6000, as aparently there are performance gains in gaming when running at the 6000 "sweet spot"? Don't get me wrong, the X40 is already running great at 5600 so it isn't really that important. 

Tijgert
Contributor
Message 22 of 32
Message 22 of 32

Hi, I made a spreadsheet of various OC settings I've come across.

OC.jpg

See if this helps you.

Mitcheroo
Trainee
Message 23 of 32
Message 23 of 32

That looks really handy. Thank you for that, I appreciate it. I will give it a go later today and report back. 

Mitcheroo
Trainee
Message 24 of 32
Message 24 of 32

I tried a couple of those profiles, but with no success. It must be down to either the RAM or MB don't support over 5600 speeds. I may invest in a couple sticks of faster RAM in the near future. Getting the cooler in a couple weeks, plus a BIOS update is on it's way, just waiting for Germany to email it over, should be with me this week. Thank you for your help. Do you see a big decrease in temps using the coller?

Tijgert
Contributor
Message 25 of 32
Message 25 of 32

Strange that it doesn't work. What RAM sticks do you have? I use Kingston 5600Mhz, B die.

What Bios are you waiting on? From Medion or XMG?

Mitcheroo
Trainee
Message 26 of 32
Message 26 of 32

They are Kingston Fury 5600 cl40-40-40 1.1v PnP. Not sure, but I think they might be the "Impact" model but it doesn't say on the packaging. 

It's the latest Medion BIOS. I don't know which version, but she said it will be the latest BIOS. 

Tijgert
Contributor
Message 27 of 32
Message 27 of 32

I've got the same RAM it seems. They should OC real well though. You can see in the spreadsheet which setting I used and I still have headroom left too, just choosing to remain at a lower voltage and speed to mitigate heat.

Maybe check the Discord and ask there what could hold you back.

I'd go with the latest XMG bios, but warranty wise that might be problematic.

Mitcheroo
Trainee
Message 28 of 32
Message 28 of 32

I spent a bit of time reading up on possible reasons/solutions for the problem with the ram. Several sources saying that certain chips only support up to 5600 (mine is 13900hx), which I struggle to understand if I'm being honest. People have ram running over 7000. Other sources say it depends on motherboard limitations and others mention that it could be down to BIOS version/make. It wouldn't bother me, but every other gaming forum I go on they're saying about ddr5 6000 being essential for modern games. Just one of them things that's bugging me.

I'm still waiting on the BIOS. A couple of weeks ago I managed to flash an older medion bios, 1.18, thinking it was an update, and since haven't been able to find the latest BIOS update. A bit of an avoidable mess if I'm honest. Out of interest, why do you prefer the XMG? 

Tijgert
Contributor
Message 29 of 32
Message 29 of 32

I have the same machine you do and I run 6000MHz on the same RAM sticks you have so the problem must be software.

You did unlock the RAM OC in the bios didn't you?

Did you ask someone on Reddit about what other settings they may have used?

The bios could very well be the limiting factor. XMG was in my case vastly superior to the Medion bios, but I had been asking Medion for an updated bios for weeks and they're just totally inept kept saying they had none if it wasn't online. Sorry Medion, you were useless.

Mitcheroo
Trainee
Message 30 of 32
Message 30 of 32

I think it is the BIOS. I just tried flashing the XMG hoping it would clear things up, but that's not working. Seriously think my system has some sort of defect or BIOS lock or something. Think it's time to give Scan a call, I'm not comfortable being stuck with such an old BIOS and it's settings. Maybe I got a few bad chips/components with this unit.  

31 REPLIES 31