SSD upgrade (Samsung EVO with heatsink)

7 REPLIES 7
zardozthestoneg
Trainee
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

SSD upgrade (Samsung EVO with heatsink)

Hi All,

I newly bought Erazar Major X20 model and upgraded the second empty slot with a Samsung SSD (with a heatsink on it). But unfortunately, SSD did not fit fully and the bottom cover can not be completly closed. When I checked the bottom cover, I raealized that there is a metal part with a glued silicon on bottom cover at directly matching with SSD position and it prevents to close bottom cover completely with an appropriate way. Does anyone know why the designers put this additonal part here? Were there anyone who face such an issue before? If yes, how did you solve it? By the way, Altough I moved this metal part out, bottom cover still does not close properly. 

IMG_3251.jpgIMG_3252.jpgIMG_3249.jpgIMG_3250.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Hello @zardozthestoneg  happy new year and welcome
The easiest thing is to reattach the plate and swap the new SSD for one without a heatsink.

The aluminum plate is a heat-conducting plate for the SSD without a heat sink.

Wärmeleitblech GM6PX7X.png

In order for your new one to fit, you would have to leave out the sheet metal and shorten the plastic struts. This means you are technically changing the device and no longer have any warranty.
If any component breaks, they will refer to it and refuse a free repair.

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
zardozthestoneg
Trainee
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Fishtown , thanks for very quick response and happy new year you too!

I will try to shorten plastic struts. Which method do you suggest to do it?

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hi @zardozthestoneg 

Dremel or vibrating saw.
If neither is available, a red-hot cutter knife can be used if necessary.
A soldering iron would be more complicated.

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
Major_X20_i7
Beginner
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Someone can provide a link for a valid SSD NVME (without cut requirement) ?

I would like to keep the guarantee.

Thanks,

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hi @Major_X20_i7 ,

there are a few models available, like the 1 TB WD Black SN850X series, which are available with(WDS100T2XHE) or w/o heatsink(WDS100T2X0E). referring to the manufacturers specs the variant w/o heatsink is 2,38mm high.

Alternitively you can also feel free to use a 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade M2 with a height of approx 2,21mm or an ordinary Samsung PM9A1/B1 should do with 2,38 mm height but in any case you´ll have to ensure that the items are without heat sink.

Feedback very appreciated

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
Major_X20_i7
Beginner
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Thanks a lot.

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Hi @Major_X20_i7 ,

would be nice, if you keep us updated, so that we can provide the helping information to other users with identical ambitions.

Cheers

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
7 REPLIES 7