SOLVED
7 REPLIES 7
TemperedTech
New Voice
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

NVME support for an Erazer p6689

I own a Medion Erazer p6689 (MD 60968).

Been researching M.2 drives recently, and spurred on by a similar forum post to this, have discovered that my laptop has an M.2 drive socket. Am wondering if it supports NVME. Most websites I found say to look for the motherboards manual to check this. If I'm correct, this would be a Medion E15KRR. Could not find any documentation on this; its quite possible a manual doesn't exist, or perhaps I'm not looking for the right thing to verify. Anyone know for certain if the socket would support nvme rather than SATA? Picture below of the socket in question.

M.2 - Copy.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Hi @TemperedTech 

I can confirm, M2 SATA only. I own an eraser p6689 and asked exactly same thing some time ago. Although the M2 socket can hold either SATA or NVMe it will only works with SATA. The concept "if it fits will work" does not apply here.

https://community.medion.com/t5/ERAZER-Gaming/MEDION-ERAZER-P6689-support-NVme/m-p/102195#M789

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

@TemperedTech 

Hi. 

Your Mainboard is a   PEGATRON E15KRR P6689 Erazer M.2 silc.bk*, and it  came equipped with a 1 TB Seagate SATA ST1000LM048. The naming of the MB suggests it has a M2 socket. Because the NB is a bit older, i guess it only has a capability for a SATA M2.

Your picture  can be seen by others only later after approval by a medion staff member. .

Regards, daddle

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Hi @TemperedTech 

I can confirm, M2 SATA only. I own an eraser p6689 and asked exactly same thing some time ago. Although the M2 socket can hold either SATA or NVMe it will only works with SATA. The concept "if it fits will work" does not apply here.

https://community.medion.com/t5/ERAZER-Gaming/MEDION-ERAZER-P6689-support-NVme/m-p/102195#M789

Cheers

TemperedTech
New Voice
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for both of your responses so far. 

@daddle

Firstly, typing in Pegatron E15 KRR for motherboard manuals gave no relevant results either (as well as relevant variations thereof), so have given up with knowing by that approach, though good to know that's what the name is. Secondly, what is it in the naming of the board that suggests an m.2 socket is in place? Not heard this before and am intrigued. Thirdly, by NB do you mean Northbridge of the mainboard? I was wondering if looking that up somehow would warrant the answer.

@sweetpoison

Indeed, that's the post which prompted me to discover that my laptop has an m.2 drive socket in the first place. Whilst I'm now more inclined to think that its SATA support for the m.2 socket given that's what you said your experience with it was, you'll have to forgive my scepticism on this, I just could do with some proof. Re-reading your post, I think I gather that the laptop came with a m.2 drive already in place at purchase? If so, could you perhaps give me the make/model of it.

Seeing as its established that the socket will only support one or the other (SATA or NVME), if your m.2 drive that first came with the laptop had the operating system on it, and was of course one of those formats, I would accept that as the answer to what the socket supports. Given the operating system being on that drive as well would show its bootable, and not something of a secondary nature, if that is possible. As well as the laptop being the same make and model as my own; most likely the difference in MSN/MD numbers being what drive comes with it at time of purchase.

Again, forgive my scepticism, but both your responses to this would be most appreciated.

Thanks

daddle
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

@TemperedTech 

Why are you still so fully sceptic? Two persons gave you nearer informations, confirming the m.2 socket features the SATA protocol? 

@TemperedTech  schrieb:

@daddle

Firstly, typing in Pegatron E15 KRR for motherboard manuals gave no relevant results either (as well as relevant variations thereof), so have given up with knowing by that approach,

@daddle  wrote:

That's why I gave you the name from the Medion database.

@TemperedTech  schrieb:
What is it in the naming of the board that suggests an m.2 socket is in place?

Gosh. The M.2 in the name of the barebone. Besides, your own picture shows a typical M.2 socket.  LoL

@TemperedTech  schrieb:

@daddle

Thirdly, by NB do you mean Northbridge of the mainboard? I was wondering if looking that up somehow would warrant the answer.

NB means just Notebook. How come you think of  Northbridge. No hint about it which leads toward the Northbridge. 😉

And there is no nesessity to warrant my answer. It is from the Medion database itself!

Now seeing that @sweetpoison owns a P6689 itself, there is no reason for scepticism or new proof anymore.

If you do not believe it, you shouldn't ask here in the officíal Medion Forum.

And yes, your m.2 socket is of course a fully functional SATA port. You could migrate your operation system (Windows) from the Seagate 1 TB HDD to the much faster m.2 SATA SSD .

And your picture shows an empty m.2 socket. So your drive is a Seagate 1 TB harddisk.

Those P6689 models sold  equipped  with a  m.2 SSD already, have a SATA Rev.3 M.2 SSD built in. Nothing else.

And if you think the MSN is important you are right. 

Why don't you provide your MSN number here yourself ?

daddle

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hey @TemperedTech ,

The fitted M2 on my laptop is 128gb version of this https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/8cqLy8nfWf6LAxjywu4HsY-970-80.png.webp

I understand your frustration as I passed the same one as well but I didn't encounter yet a M2 socket where you can install an SATA or NVMe  and work. When it comes about working it's only one out of two: SATA OR NVMe. Even the PCIe cards M2 controllers have dedicated sockets for SATA and NVMe (didn't seen common one which can work with either of them).

If it helps somehow, get an M2 SATA, migrate the OS from your mechanical HDD and buy an 2.5" SATA drive to replace the existing one. It's a safe and sure way to get your laptop to max performance. And on the side note, don't bother to increase RAM from 8 to 16 as you won't see any difference in games on other programs (did that and it's kind of waste of money  - no gain at all).

Other than that, P6689 was sold in different configurations regarding storage, while I was a bit greedy, for extra £15 I choose the version with 128gb m2 ssd, 1000 gb hdd and dvdrw (with intention to replace the optical drive with a hdd/ssd bay). On very next day after getting the laptop I replaced the HDD with SSD.

Cheers.

TemperedTech
New Voice
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

@sweetpoison 

Thanks for your reply there. This settles it for me then, given the drive you linked to is a SATA one. Interesting to note there is a physical connection difference between the two standards. Then again, perhaps there would have to be for such a difference in speeds from a SATA SSD to an NVME.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about upgrading the RAM to 16gb. Purely because it doesn't cost much for that upgrade, and it is easy to do.

Aware now that a 2.5 inch SATA SSD (or a 2280 m.2 one for that matter) makes a huge difference in terms of speed compared to a hard drive. If I wanted an m.2 drive on my laptop then, it looks like it would have to be a SATA one.

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

@TemperedTech 

Trust me when I say, 2 SATA SSD (M2+2.5") are much better than 1 SSD. Usually launching a game require a lot of preparation from windows (like loading required libraries, placing programs in background and other things) and loading game assets which are better to be on secondary SSD.

As for RAM, well I din't notice any improvement in Final fantasy XV, Tomb Raider (last 3 of them), Elex, Mass Effect (all of them), Risen3, Xcom2 and Resident Evil 2 (all high demanding in terms of hardware). I guess there are some limits about how much power you get from CPU and GPU and extra ram didn't help me at all. It could be different with a mechanical HDD since windows can reduce the use of swap. 

Try to consider a 128 gb M2 and 960gb 2.5"

As for the socket, it looks like the MB manufacturer decided to use a model which can be fit on any kind of M2 controller just like the choice of screws (2-4 types on modern computers compared to 10-14 types on antiques)

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7