Medion erazer Defender md61874 car Charger

9 REPLIES 9
Sc0rp1c
New Voice
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Medion erazer Defender md61874 car Charger

Hello, 

In past few months i bought medion erazer on original Charger says 230w what Kind of car Charger i need to have? Anyone have any ideas? Or what Kind of power inverter i need to have to power original charger? Thank you all for answer. Cheers. 

9 REPLIES 9
sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Welcome to the forum @Sc0rp1c 

Here's an idea about what might solve the problem regarding charging a laptop from car battery.

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=12v+240v+inverter&language=en_GB&adgrpid=87643903571&gclid=CjwKCAjwiY6MBhB...

Since Medion sells computers in many countries try to find a local store which sell converters and choose one which provide an output bigger than 250W.  It might come in handy in more ways than charging the laptop only.

Something like this to be a bit more precise: https://www.amazon.de/Voltage-Converter-Inverter-Including-Cigarette/dp/B088T8HSQT/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?a...

Cheers.

Sc0rp1c
New Voice
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

The thing is that i already have one inverter and with other laptop (lenovo also gaming laptop) i didnt had a problem to charge it but p10 ist charging from it, has 1500w from this what is write on it. 

Sc0rp1c
New Voice
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

@sweetpoison So i think i May have an answer for my problem simple as that previous laptop charger(lenovo y700) didnt had 230w output power as the medion has. And The inverter pluged in ligther gives up to 150w, if you want more than 150w you need Plug inverter by cable to your battery. And that sad because i wont do that everyday in other truck at work😅😅. Anyway thanks for trying resolve the problem. Cheers. 

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Hi @Sc0rp1c and welcome

look at the Service Manual, you have a barebone clevo NH77DDW-M

Download the NH77DC_DD(20200426).zip

https://my.hidrive.com/share/yze8mg-wf8#$/CLEVO%20Service%20Manual%20Books/N_Series/NH/NHxxDxx

Look at page IV. :

IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
5. This product is intended to be supplied by a Listed Power Unit as follows:
• AC Input of 100 - 240V, 50 - 60Hz, DC Output of 19.5V, 9.23A (180 Watts) minimum AC/DC Adapter.

or page Specifications 1 - 3

Power
Removable 4 Cell Smart Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 48.96WH
Full Range AC/DC Adapter
AC Input: 100 - 240V, 50 - 60Hz
DC Output: 19.5V, 9.23A (180W)

so you don't need more and now see here:

https://www.fraron.de/wechselrichter/reiner-sinus/12v-auf-230v/swi180w12v-spannungswandler-180-watt-...

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
Sc0rp1c
New Voice
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Hi @Fishtown thanks for your answer, yours info is helpfull, but the problem stays the same. "Please use battery clamps to directly connect to your car's battery if the rated input of any connected AC devices exceed 150W and stop using the power inverter while your car is off." Car ligther dosnt give more than 150w, as for that if id like to power my laptop in field i will need clamp power cables for inverter directly from battery. Or i dont understand something? Cheers. 

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Hello again,

You're right @Sc0rp1c , the total power provided via cigarette lighter socket is 180W and it's protected with 15A fuse. I understand now why the battery cords are provided with converter. 

The only option I can see is to connect the laptop when is off therefore less power required to charge only.

Cheers

Sc0rp1c
New Voice
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

@sweetpoison  i've already try that, The charging led isnt light on, even when laptop isnt turned on. So that also wont work. That Just sad that i cant use my gaming laptop in the field on Plug & play basics. Thanks for your msg, but for now problem stays as it was. Cheers. 

YamYam48
Beginner
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

I'm new to this forum.

I'm struggling to see how I can start a query off.

How do I start a thread?

daddle
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

@Sc0rp1c 

Usually a 180 W netto converter should do. If your cigarette lighter is fused with 15A then it should do, and deliver at least  continous 230 V and 160-170 watts.

Did you check at all if there is 230 V on the AC Outlet of the converter?

Second step, connect the orginal 230 V charger to the converter AC outlet. Measure if the DC loading plug delivers the needed 19 V 

After this, everything positivly confirmed, connect it to your Laptop. And the charging LED should be lightened.

If not, it could have basically two or three reasons, except a loose cable connection:

1.  It's no sinus wave converter, and the charging setup needs a pure sinus wave --> test a better converter which delivers a sinus wave.

2. Your Laptop battery is completely drained, then it sucks the fully needed 9.5 A by 19 V, which these 180 W the small converter can not cope with and switches off; or your cigarette lighter fuse is gone. Often only a 10 A fuse is used.

If the battery is already charged by 50 % or more, the charging process drains much less currency, only half the amperage or less is needed to keep the charging process going. Therewith the converter should be able to cope.

3. Test it with an almost fully charged Notebook battery, then the surge for high power should be much lower. At least your battery stays much longer.

If you do not play just the most currency consuming games with highest settings.

4. If you have to connect to the cars battery poles anyway, then take a 250 -- 300W converter at least. (Don't forget to put a fuse in the positive lead!) The higher the wattage the higher the power dissapation; means the netto wattage is about 80 - 85 % only. Which leaves from 250 W around 200 W. Plus the loss by your cable connection has to be taken into consideration, depending on it's length.

@Sc0rp1c @  schrieb:

...you need Plug inverter by cable to your battery. And that sad because i wont do that everyday in other truck at work

In a truck at work, maybe on the freeways, you shouldn'd make use of it at all! 

daddle

9 REPLIES 9