SOLVED
3 REPLIES 3
mister_johnn
New Voice
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Medion Erazer X7851 MSN: 3002 2561 - Spec questions

Hi,
I'm new here and own this laptop for a while now and had some time to see if I can upgrade it somehow but couldn't find anything anywhere about the answers I'm looking for, tried also to look for motherboard details P670HX-GM and still nothing. My questions are:
1. The laptop has 3 slots for storage (1 * M.2 and 2 * SATA), I want to know if the M.2 port supports NVMe drives (ePCI)?

2. The laptop has 2 USB C ports 3.1, does any of them support Thunderbolt?
Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mister_johnn
New Voice
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Hmmmm... yesterday I received a call from MEDION and I felt like their service was exceptional as they were replying my email in regards to my questions and was advised that:

1. The laptop does not support M.2 NVMe SSD (eSATA)
2. The laptop does not support Thunderbolt 3
The guy didn't even try to push for a sale, was just advising me on how to proceed with my SSD upgrade or asked if I have any other questions related to my laptop, in one work AMAZING service!

... but, after reading the reply from @Fishtown I can say that I have some doubts about my first question... after looking at the specs of the motherboard and opened my laptop, noticed that is the same and had a look on Figure 8 and found 2 slots:

1. Mini-Card Connector (M.2 SATA Module) which has 4 pins and this is a Key A, in theory, supports PCIe (x2) and USB. The slot is empty from the factory.

2. Mini-Card Connector (M.2 PCIE/SATA SSD Module) which has 5 pins and this is a Key M, in theory, supports PCIe ( x2 / x4 ), but it has installed the factory fitted M.2 SSD, so this slot might be a PCIe and SATA compatible.

More info about the M.2 interface here:
https://www.delock.com/infothek/M.2/M.2_e.html

I will buy an NVMe M.2 SSD and try it to see if it works, also post an update once this is done.

@Fishtown Thank you!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Hello @mister_johnn 

X7851 MSN 30022561, built-in Mainboard Clevo P670HP-GM

maybe this service manual will help you

http://s472165864.onlinehome.fr/anyware/manuels/P67XHP6%20SM%2020161227.pdf

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
mister_johnn
New Voice
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Hmmmm... yesterday I received a call from MEDION and I felt like their service was exceptional as they were replying my email in regards to my questions and was advised that:

1. The laptop does not support M.2 NVMe SSD (eSATA)
2. The laptop does not support Thunderbolt 3
The guy didn't even try to push for a sale, was just advising me on how to proceed with my SSD upgrade or asked if I have any other questions related to my laptop, in one work AMAZING service!

... but, after reading the reply from @Fishtown I can say that I have some doubts about my first question... after looking at the specs of the motherboard and opened my laptop, noticed that is the same and had a look on Figure 8 and found 2 slots:

1. Mini-Card Connector (M.2 SATA Module) which has 4 pins and this is a Key A, in theory, supports PCIe (x2) and USB. The slot is empty from the factory.

2. Mini-Card Connector (M.2 PCIE/SATA SSD Module) which has 5 pins and this is a Key M, in theory, supports PCIe ( x2 / x4 ), but it has installed the factory fitted M.2 SSD, so this slot might be a PCIe and SATA compatible.

More info about the M.2 interface here:
https://www.delock.com/infothek/M.2/M.2_e.html

I will buy an NVMe M.2 SSD and try it to see if it works, also post an update once this is done.

@Fishtown Thank you!

mister_johnn
New Voice
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

UPDATE:

I took the risk and bought a Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD Gen. 3 because of the specs and found it to be at a good price:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR/ref=sr_1_3?...

Installed the drive in the M.2 PCIe slot and started my laptop, in Windows 10 the drive wasn't visible so I went to Disk Management selected the drive (GPT when prompted "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk can access it") and quick Format, assigned a letter and the drive was visible. Shut down the laptop, removed all other drives and inserted a bootable Windows 10 USB stick, entered BIOS and selected to boot from the USB stick, Windows setup started (make sure to delete the partition and make a new one during Windows setup because Windows will do a few more small partitions)... when complete (just before 1st reboot), removed the USB stick and the setup continued. Windows 10 was installed in minutes, I have tested the drive and I'm getting the speeds advertised by the manufacturer (happy, happy, joy, joy 🙂

Overall, I can confirm that for this laptop model the NVMe SSD upgrade works, Windows 10 boots normally, and everything works as it should.
I can recommend also buying a thermal pad or a radiator for the M.2 drives as they get hot, this way the working temperature is lower and the performance is better.

3 REPLIES 3