cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medion Erazer - Think i have wiped my preinstalled windows, what are my options?

SOLVED
35 REPLIES 35
DomF1989
New Voice
Message 1 of 36
Message 1 of 36

Medion Erazer - Think i have wiped my preinstalled windows, what are my options?

Hi Guys

I own a Medion Erazer X5361 G UK - MSN: 1002 1504 and am having a few issues, I have been trying to fix this myself for the last few days but i am all out of ideas so any advice or what my options are now would be really appreciated as if i do need to repurchase a hard drive with windows etc i would rather just know now.

I tried to reformat my pc as it hadnt had one for 2 years, i have done this before with no issues but i think this time i ticked the button on the windows recovery to clear all drives which is where i am stuck now.

The computer is factory standard and has had no modifications etc and was working fine before the reformat which i am deeply regretting doing right now.

When the computer loads i get the bleeps from the motherboard as i assume it cant detect anything to actually load but i also cant seem to get to BIOS at all, having checked the manual on the motherboard its confirming i should be clicking delete when the computer starts up but this just stays on a blank screen and cant seem to get to the BIOS at all now. https://www.ecs.com.tw/he/Product/Motherboard/B250H4-M20/overview

I downloaded the windows tool and tried creating a usb flash drive for a windows install to see if this would help but again when the USB drive is actually plugged in to the computer i get the same bleeps when pressing delete for BIOS and the same thing happens it just doesnt load anything and screen looks like its on standby.

If i turn the computer on and dont do anything i end up in a cycle of WIndows loads and i get to the Windows preparing screen but I get the same error 'The Computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer then restart the installation. - if you click ok or click the x to close this just restarts the cycle again.

If anyone can advise me i would be eternally grateful.

Thanks

35 REPLIES 35
DomF1989
New Voice
Message 31 of 36
Message 31 of 36

Hi Daddle

Want to first of all i want to say a massive thanks to you and Sweet both a massive help throughout and anyone else with issues please do listen to what they confirm to do as it really helped.

I reformatted as i i bought a new gaming pc to contend with the upcoming battlefield but i wanted to keep my medion gaming PC to have a lan network at my house to play games like warcraft 3 and company of heroes on lan when friends are over ( i will say it can do more than that i was playing warzone constantly beforehand on 60 / 70 FPS so no pushover), The computer had not been formatted for a long time and was really running sluggish even after deleting items which werent needed anymore so i thought that was the best course of action at the time, if i had the choice now i wouldnt have.

In terms of getting a new drive i dont disagree my new pc has a 500GB ssd for my windows install and music production software / 1tb SSD for games and a 2TB standard HD for storage.

Maybe i will buy a new HD for the pc but it will soley be used for LAN gaming going forward so i may not i will see if i can pick one up on the cheap i may look at it for this.

To confirm windows installed great and deleted the other paritions so back to normal just lost the ability for my pre install but certainly a lesson learnt for myself to be more careful if ever doing this again.

again thanks for your help got me out of a tight spot i got myself in to anyway.

Many thanks

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 32 of 36
Message 32 of 36

Hello @DomF1989 , @sweetpoison 

sweetpoison:

you are right with F7 but you are starting from the wrong board (B250H4M20) , Page 3

https://motherboarddb.com/media/manuals/ECS/B250H4-M8/B250H4-M8.pdf

DomF1989 has an B250H4-EM and there is not F7.

DOMF1989:

but both boards have a CLR CMOS jumper

B250H4-EMB250H4-EM

jumper1.png

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
daddle
Superuser
Message 33 of 36
Message 33 of 36

@Fishtown

It doesn't really help to talk about a different board than the one we were discussing  here, although it is interesting. By the way, Sweetpoisend mentioned all the F-keys to try to enter Bios. The other time it should start the boot menu. That's what I was pointing at!

The F7 key in the manual you cite is the boot menu caller, and is from a retail board, not a Medion OEM.

@DomF1989  has a  B250H4-EM. And my statement about the Del or Esc key for entering Bios on desktop PCs is correct for the B250H4-EM, we were talking about.

And the F8 key for calling the boot menu.

About the Clear CMOS jumper it is valuable to know, but you should have come earlier with it. 😉 Thanks for the information. 

But taking the batterie out did the job as well. 

@DomF1989 

@DomF1989  schrieb:

The computer had not been formatted for a long time and was really running sluggish even after deleting items which werent needed anymore so i thought that was the best course of action at the time, if i had the choice now i wouldnt have.

As I said, there is no explanation why formatting a drive or partition caused the trouble you had.

Your USB Stick especially should have been able to boot; the funny bios beeps pointing to your proc hasn't to do anything wirh fomatting your former Windows partition.

I do think to discharge the board and to do a Bios reset did the job.

But so what, if you would have said I want to do a new clean Windows install instead of "I had to format my drive", it would have been better understandable.

And the Win  MCT Stick does formatting the chosen drive automatically. anyway.

Still I would utilize a M2 SSD also in the old PC. They are quite cheap nowadays.

And the benefit is tremendous, as you know.

Cheers, daddle

Ticket
Trainee
Message 34 of 36
Message 34 of 36

Sorry to bump a solved thread, but I have a related question:

I have a recently purchased Medion Erazer Defender P15 MD62294, MSN 30031897

I plan to make this dual-boot with linux.

The current disk is like this:

NAME        FSTYPE          LABEL           SIZE    PURPOSE
nvme0n1p1   vfat, FAT32                     100M    EFI
nvme0n1p2   [unable to detect file system]  16M     MS Reserved   
nvme0n1p3   ntfs            Boot            444.8G  Windows O/S 
nvme0n1p4   ntfs                            999M    hidden, diagnostics
nvme0n1p5   ntfs            Recover         30G     Recovery disc
nvme0n1p6   vfat, FAT32     PRC_RP          1G      (?) hidden

I plan to shrink the Boot partition (p3) and install linux in the freed space.

Will doing this stop Windows backup / recovery from working?

I will use my own tools for disk backup anyway, so would anything terrible happen to windows if I were to delete partitions 4, 5 and 6?

Thanks!

daddle
Superuser
Message 35 of 36
Message 35 of 36

@Ticket 

You can minimize the C Windowspartition from the end; second you have to  move P 4 , ist the Windows RE partition, to the end of the Win Data partition (C). Then you have an empty space between P4  and P5.  P5  is just a partition  named Recover, for data, musik, documents, photos etc., and contains the recovery image for PowerRecover. Plus the driver folder, which you should save onto an extern medium.

There inbetween P4 and P5 you could install your linux os..

If  you are not interested in the factory image, you can delete P 6 as well ( PRC_RP is a PowerRecover Mini OS). And move the RecoverPartition (P5) to the end of the disc. Gives you one GB more free space.

Cheers,  daddle

Fred64
Trainee
Message 36 of 36
Message 36 of 36

@sweetpoison wrote:

F7 according to this https://www.ecs.com.tw/he/Product/Motherboard/B250H4-M20/gallery And of course I could be wrong since I can't test it live. As for 5 beeps, like I said, there are enough posts to create confusions like this https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/5-beeps-on-startup.1907473/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/5-beeps-but-system-seems-fine.3283225/

Also https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

The '5 beeps' problem had me puzzled for a long time.  After much googling I found a post in a forum which asked: 'Was your monitor powered on when the PC was turned on?'.  That was the answer.  In my case I have a power board in which the PC controls the power to the peripherals such as monitor.  There was enough delay between the PC turning on and the monitor turning on to produce the beeps.  I agree "process error" has likely been mis-translated to "processor error" in some cases. 

35 REPLIES 35