Did you mean: 

Erazer X7859 Performance Help

12 REPLIES 12
AJMCC12345
Trainee
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Erazer X7859 Performance Help

Hi everyone, two days ago i bought this medion x7859 gaming laptop, second hand, it was £580 and a good deal and when I bought it was fine.

The fans were really quiet and the system generally seemed to be running quite well.

But once I factory reset it and cleaned the drives, using the built-in windows function, I noticed the fans got stupidly loud and once it reinstalled windows, I noticed it was really loud even when just browsing chrome or microsoft teams, I checked the control centre and noticed that the fans hit 50% at about 40C for cpu and gpu, is this right?

Is it possible I may have lost an update on the bios? or perhaps even lost some of the drivers? as it seems to be really loud and I did a userbenchmark performance test just to see and i got really bad and unexpected results, of which I will provide a screenshot of.

Any help will be appreciated thanks.shitty performance.PNG

12 REPLIES 12
sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Welcome to the community @AJMCC12345 

Since you restored windows (fresh install) make sure you do all updates (additional and optional updates included) because high fan activity means one of 2 things: heavy CPU load (works hard foreground or background) or thermal pads/paste wear off (but that can't be result of windows install -  it takes time and it's a progressive increase of fan speed). If you don't see any update or program running you might need to hunt for hidden apps running in background (as I did a few days ago when a print job left a resident routine which was using 99.8% of CPU for no good reason - just an example of "shit happens"). 

As for bios update... I never heard of increase/decrease performance from updates. Changing setting in bios, yes, windows use to do that and it's kind of hard to explain which setting does what and why. Anyway, from your screenshot it's more likely a background process which eats a lot of CPU power.

Cheers

AJMCC12345
Trainee
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Hi thank you for your reply, i closed a lot of the background processes and got a new benchmark which was much better i also did one in 3d mark, I will provide the results for them both as im not quite sure if theyre up to scratch or not but I think they are. I am slightly concerned though as I took another 3d mark test later on and i ensured that the only application open was 3d mark and my score had dropped by 800 overall?

I am not a complete noobie lol and im actually an IT student but was just wondering if this was a known problem with this computer so I understand what you're saying about reapplying thermal paste but the laptop is only a year old so surely it shouldnt need this yet?

It does actually have a windows update that needs doing so I will try doing it just to see if it actually increases the performance or temperature. I also noticed that there was driver updates of which windows reccomended my to try, i'm not sure if these are required ones or just reinstalls/ones which could potentially fix an issue though.

Another thing i've noticed is that when i'm just browsing chrome and I can hear the fans, sometimes theyll randomly go significantly quieter to a tolerable level and then go a lot louder out of nowhere for no reason. My GPU seems to be always at 50% fan speed  when im in the browser even when its at 1% utilisation, obviously when i play a game it gets even louder.

My main concern is the heat, the incredibly loud fans dont even seem to be doing their job very well, I ran warframe for about half an hour with nothing open but maybe a chrome tab in the background. The settings were on auto which I believe was 1080 low, but after half an hour my gpu was running at 75 degrees C and my cpu was at 95. Warframe isnt necessarily an overly demanding game anyway so I was shocked to see how hot it got in such a short amount of time so I had to stop playing. Im also pretty sure both fans were at 100% at this time

Is there anything I can do about the heat? I am very concerned about it, what if I want to play cod for an hour? 😂😶

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58103109?

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

1 year old doesn't justify the replacement for thermal pads but does make sense for a cleaning for fan blades and heat sink's radiator (a spray with compressed air would do).

Until windows does all the updates the performances of your laptop will be lower than normal. When an critical or security update is available windows will slow down the computer until the update is done.

Although we have different laptops model 80 Celsius on my CPU/GPU (during game play) is normal (at least for me) Over 90 the heat protection kicks in and stutter the CPU or GPU depending on which one starts boiling.

See all OS and drivers updates done and you will notice an improvement on benchmark. 

AJMCC12345
Trainee
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

I've done all the necessary and optional windows and driver updates and it has made no difference to the fan noise whatsoever and the performance is likely the same

Do you have any other suggestions?

Also im pretty sure it has had a pretty recent clean as the guy I bought it off said it has and he was a really genuine bloke 

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Sorry, that was all I could think off. 

Other than usual settings off for checkpoints (system restore) and dismiss the file indexing proc I removed all nvidia drivers, removed nvidia experience than let windows to instal video driver only and I'm happy with that. In a game where I was struggle to stay at 28 fps after all this touches I have a stable 32 fps.

For temperature I had added some time ago a cooling pad and even if is not doing miracles I can see it helps. 

Maybe some one else can have better ideas.

Cheers

AJMCC12345
Trainee
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Do you mean a cooling pad that you plug in that sits under your laptop?

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

Yes, have a look at the bottom of laptop when you choose the pad to match the ventilation grill.

AJMCC12345
Trainee
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Hi so I've watched videos and apparently my cpu is known to get really hot so what people do is undervolt it using thermal stop, but obviously you can't have thermal stop and xtu at the same time but I can't uninstall xtu because when I try open my command centre for the laptop I get the error NET framework XTU3 and it won't let me use control centre until I've reinstalled xtu, but I've noticed even after I uninstall xtu there are files that remain in my program files folder of which date back to 2018, do you have any suggestions? Thanks 

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Changing voltage doesn't sounds like a good idea. First you need to be sure your CPU is overclock unlocked. 

Still all the efforts will make the system slower if not unstable. Intel implemented overheat protection long time ago and over the years they only raise the heat threshold up to 90°C. That means up to that temperature it's safe to be used at full potential and above that the execution ill be slowed down in order to protect the CPU. 

The concern when it comes abut laptops is that the heatsink is shared with GPU and while intel have a protection I heard nothing about from nVidia nor AMD (ATI).

Slowing down the CPU will result in lowering the overall temperatures because GPU will not be fed enough to overheat.

Exactly same thing you can get by limiting FPS in nVidia control panel. For the rest of executions where mostly the CPU is used you don't have to worry about. Intel did that for you.

Here's a funny video about overheat protection 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

Cheers

12 REPLIES 12