cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erazer X6807 display problem - laptop screen very dark and cannot turn up brightness

2 REPLIES 2
martinmt
Apprentice
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Erazer X6807 display problem - laptop screen very dark and cannot turn up brightness

Hi all,

I have been a happy customer for a number of years now and my laptop has been great. However, I have just encountered a problem last week and I'm trying to establish if my laptop if finished, or if it can be fixed. 

I plugged my power cable in to it yesterday (it had been working perfectly up to that point), and immediately the screen started flashing and went very dark.  I have been googling for suggestions and have tried the battery discharge (where you disconnect the battery and hold down the power button for 30 seconds) and that did not help anything. 

When I connect an external monitor, it works fine so I know that the problem is with the display somehow (either the actual screen, or software). I have tried updating and rolling back drivers for the Nvidia graphics card and have checked for updates to the intel graphics and nothing makes a difference. 

What I just realised is that if I right click into display properties and set the brightness to 8 (out of 100) then the display is stable - but it's very dark and dull and not really usable.  If I change those settings up or down, the screen flickers badly and doesn't display properly. 

So, I am trying to work out if there is anything else I can try, or if the problem is with a failure of the backlight on the display screen. If that is the case, is it repairable or would that be too expensive? Is it something I might be able to do myself?

I could just keep using it with the external monitor, which would work, but it's not ideal. To be honest I tend to use it more as a desktop replacement anyway at home. 

However, any advice or suggestions would be most welcomed. Thank you in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Hi @martinmt and welcome

It will probably be the screen itself, as an external one shows everything correctly without any problems.
You can find it in the Medion service shop: MSN 40067742 LCD Display

https://www.medion.com/medionserviceshop/de/p/gehause-medion-erazer-x6807-md-61385--de-30026671

bye Fishtown

Here is a disassembly video of an x6805, yours should be the same/similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQwLayk0hPE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
martinmt
Apprentice
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Thank you for the response, appreciated. 

So, I was using my laptop with an external screen for a couple of weeks while contemplating doing the screen repair (as I'd rather spend £100 on a new screen than buy a new  laptop as I'm otherwise really happy with it still). However, I was using it yesterday and the screen/graphics crashed a couple of times which I took to be due to overheating (it was very hot). Turned it on this morning, and the actual laptop screen is working as usual!  

So I'll keep your suggestions in mind in case it goes again but otherwise will keep my fingers crossed that it keeps working (as it's a nice screen too!) Maybe it was some sort of software issue, maybe it's an iffy cable, time will tell. 

2 REPLIES 2