incorrect file system aldi-medion 7700 desktop

SOLVED
8 REPLIES 8
rivena
New Voice
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

incorrect file system aldi-medion 7700 desktop

hello all problem of my own making,when upgrading to w.10 i'm asked if i need to format "D" drive i said yes this of course managed to wipe the recovery off & substuiting nfts?is that correct? but i need the recovery files.i managed to get windows7 back (a long process) but cannot get the medion programmes at all"D" drive should be in f.a.t. files for recovery as i understand it.is it possible to reformat & to attempt returning files to "D"drive say copying from another source such as laptop vista files or are they available elsewhere!

computer came with vista i upgraded to w7 which entitled to free w10 i made a shadow copy of w 10 but this corrupted causing the problems

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rivena
New Voice
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

thanks for that i will try your suggestions it could take some time being a novice

thanks

rivena

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

@rivena

It would be nice if you reformat your text. No space beteen sentences, no capital letters at begin of a sentence makes it quite difficult and fatigueing to read, especially with the fat bloc-type letters.

Second you should tell us which MSN-Number your PC has; basically I should say all Drivers and Tools are on the Application and Support-Disc which came with your PC; but not the recover-files. So if you repartitioned and reformatted your D - drive, they are gone.

You only could ask Medion Service if they still keep copies; but I guess not, your PC is shurely 7 or 8 years old.

regards, daddle

rivena
New Voice
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

sorry about size of type being 84 years sometimes difficult to read & write easily.

my main question now is could i copy the recover files from my laptop which are in f.a.t already on vista &  onto d drive on the desktop computer !

where is the msn number?

it is about 8 years old but is my davourite despite having apple all-in-one desktop.

the 7700 was trouble free with w.7. but w.10 caused endless problems

@daddle wrote:

@rivena

It would be nice if you reformat your text. No space beteen sentences, no capital letters at begin of a sentence makes it quite difficult and fatigueing to read, especially with the fat bloc-type letters.

Second you should tell us which MSN-Number your PC has; basically I should say all Drivers and Tools are on the Application and Support-Disc which came with your PC; but not the recover-files. So if you repartitioned and reformatted your D - drive, they are gone.

You only could ask Medion Service if they still keep copies; but I guess not, your PC is shurely 7 or 8 years old.

regards, daddle

@daddle wrote:

@rivena

regards, daddle

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

@rivena

OK, second post made it a bit clearer. I understand:

1. You own a desktop PC, originally delivered with Vista -> upgraded to Win 7 to Upgrade to Win 10?

Before there was a Fat 32 Partition with Recover-Files, which you reformatted to NTFS?

2. Did you also repartition the drive?

3. And -> Win 7 functioned "Top" -> Win 10 is a nuisance on this Desktop-Pc. Right?

4. You own a Medion Laptop also with Vista installed; there is a Fat 32-Partition with Vista-Recover Files.

5. Do you still have the Application&Support-Disk for your Desktop-PC?

6. And for your Laptop?

7. Which name, MD-Number and MSN-Number (all on a sticker at the back) has your Medion- Laptop?

8. Why don't you make use of the reinstalled Win 7 on the Desktop-PC, and forget about the Vista-Installation? Win 7 is much better!

Please answer my questions 1 - 8 one by one.

regards daddle

Edit:   "but i need the recovery files.i managed to get windows7 back (a long process) but cannot get the medion programmes at all"

By the way, the Medion-Programs are on the Appication&Support-Disk in the folder "Tools", also the (Vista Drivers) which came with your Desktop-PC. May be thats all what you want, to get the Medion programs back?

rivena
New Voice
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

1 yes

2 no

3 yes

4 yes

5 yes

6 yes

7 md96290

8 vista installation disc contains other programmes which are essential to me w7 disc only contains w7 operating system

i hope i have answered questions clearly

thanks

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

@rivena

Thanks for your complete answers.

I do not think it would be advisable to make use of the laptop-recovery files on your Desktop PC; the laptop-recovery-files are made for the laptop-hardware, so they will not fit to your desktop-pc, even if you manage to install the laptop-recovery-files from a fat-32-partition on your desktop hard disc. Also the cpu is a different one compared to the laptop-cpu, so the desktop-pc might not even startup anymore.

The Bios itself, the Chipset-, VGA-, Audio-, Network- and other files and drivers in the laptop-recovery meant for the laptop-hardware could cause trouble on the pc.

[You could make use of a partitioning program or the windows disk management console to make your D-partition at the end,about 40 GB smaller, partition the free space and format it with fat 32. Then you could copy the recovery-files to the new partition in a new folder named 'recover'; and I assume the application&support-disk will then boot (Boot from CD) into the recover-program.

But I don't know if the recover-program (Symantec-Ghost) will make a machine check before and cancel the recovering, if it finds the wrong machine. That would tell us a "try and error" aproach.]

Definitely before you should do such a hazardous "coup", you should backup the C-partition within the working Win 7- Installation.

Best would be to use a complete different harddisk, which you partition in a primary (NTFS)- and a second primary fat 32 -partition.

If you are lucky and the desktop-pc would start after the recover with the laptop files, off course you could replace all the drivers with the desktop-drivers, which are on the desktop application&support disc. But it is a lot of work and no guarantee.

Why don't you stick to your already installed and working Win 7, like I said already in my 'edit' of post 4; and install all the programs from the folder "tools", which you have on the both desktop and laptop application&support discs?

Some of them you might have to install in a compatibility-mode in a Windows 7-surrounding, but I gues most of them will work with Win 7. 

regards, daddle

rivena
New Voice
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

thanks for comprehensive reply,i will give it a go &  partition the hard drive.

the reason for the problems with leaving w.7. is i am unsure how to find the programmes & extract them.

but worst of all is that i was entitled to run w10 & because the shadow copy was corrupted i lost everything as it removes everything on the computer

thanks

rivena

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

@rivena

Do not partition the whole drive, just reduce the size of the second partition, and add a new one in fat32.

But I cannot follow you; if installing your favourite programs from the CD, even if you have to decompress them it's easy (-> click setup.exe, the program will extract to c:\Medion, if at all.)

But I don't think the programs on the cd are in an archiv and have to be decompressed first, which is in every circumstance waymore easy then to delete, to find and to reinstall wrong drivers !

To find the programs start Windows, put the CD disc in the drive, and with a fileexplorer check for the folder /Tools on the cd. Then start in the program which you want to install the setup.exe, or autorun.bat, thats all.

And if if you try the other way with the recover files, take another harddrive, or you will kill your Win 7- Installation.

Success, daddle

rivena
New Voice
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

thanks for that i will try your suggestions it could take some time being a novice

thanks

rivena

8 REPLIES 8