Upgrading GPU on MD7712 (Akoya P5704D)

42 REPLIES 42
johninstalbans
Contributor
Message 1 of 43
Message 1 of 43

Upgrading GPU on MD7712 (Akoya P5704D)

Hi

I have the above 2011 very well-specc'ed desktop which is working perfectly. However, I have just upgraded my monitor to a 32" QHD which needs a resolution of 2560 x 1440 - which sadly the GPU in my PC (AMD Radeon HD6750) cannot offer.

So I want to upgrade it with one which can, but I'd like advice on which of the many options I should choose (I am NOT a gamer, but do watch streamed HDTV alongside regular computing activity.

It has been suggested that a Palit NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB card would fit the bill (at around £75), but I'm worried about switching from Radeon to NVIDIA. Also, although HDMI is available, would it be preferable to look for DisplayPort connections (which the monitor supports)? Any views on the suitability of this? One review seems to suggest that it performs LESS well than the one I have (and that 2560 x 1440 is unplayable)!

Thanks for your help.

42 REPLIES 42
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 43
Message 2 of 43

Hi @johninstalbans  and welcome

Helps you that first: https://community.medion.com/t5/Desktop-PC-All-In-One/Akoya-P-5320-E-Smart-TV-MD-30914/m-p/80010?sea...

HDMI / 1920x1080 / image-sharpness = 0

Bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
johninstalbans
Contributor
Message 3 of 43
Message 3 of 43

@Fishtown 

I don't understand how this link helps me at all!

Fishtown
Superuser
Message 4 of 43
Message 4 of 43

Hi @johninstalbans 

I am sorry, I probably misunderstood that. I understood that you are looking for a good setting to connect the monitor to the old card.
Bye Fishtown
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
TPFLegionaire
Retired
Message 5 of 43
Message 5 of 43

Hi,

@johninstalbans , I can't recommend a particular card or brand just yet  but to make sure that your needs are covered, I would want to know the following:
-print or link to the full specs of your monitor.
-which streaming service are you using and can you link to the specs they recomend for streaming at this particular setting?

Once I know this I should be able to direct you to some suitable offerings , ultimately you will need to double check with your manufacturer of choice that it fits the bill.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

johninstalbans
Contributor
Message 6 of 43
Message 6 of 43

Many thanks for your offer of help, but I have now satisfied myself that one I have ordered (for about £50) will do the job.

If it doesn't, I'll get back on your questions.

John

TPFLegionaire
Retired
Message 7 of 43
Message 7 of 43

Hi @johninstalbans 

Glad to hear you have a solution, do not hesitate to come back and let us know if you need further help or advice. Have a great week.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

johninstalbans
Contributor
Message 8 of 43
Message 8 of 43

Following the above (as I reported on another thread), I unsuccessfully attempted to install a new RX 460 graphics card in place of my Radeon HD 6750; it doesn't have a 6-pin connector, so MAY be trying to draw too much power (although it's said to be max 75w) from the PCI-E Gen.2 slot.

So I returned it and bought another (also returnable!), which DID have a 6-pin connector: a used Radeon R7 260X - but with the same result. Just a small on-screen message saying 'No video source identified', while the card's fan began to spin - using either HDMI or DP connection. This card is said to require 115w, so should have been comfortably covered (75+75=150).

I'm about to return that one and next perhaps try a used Radeon RX 550, which amazingly only seems to need 50w (but doesn't have a 6-pin connector).

Turning to your questions:

I would sooner not have to change my PSU as I have only recently replaced it, after the fan sounded as though it was about to fail!

My new monitor is specified here: https://www.benq.com/en/monitor/designer/pd2700q/specifications.html

As to the streaming service requirements, it is just BBC iPlayer in HD form (I can't find any details).

But really ALL I want is a card which will comfortably output 2560 x 1440 to a 32 inch screen (with NO gaming requirement).

If the problem is NOT inadequate power supply to the cards, could it be the 8-year old BIOS - AMI v4.6.4 (04/03/2011) [the BIOS itself calls it EM0304 03/04/2011)]? Through another post on this forum, I've found what is said to be the only version available (M1_0619.ROM) - although there seems some uncertainty as to whether this is actually for my ECS H67H2-EM v1.0, rather than other suffixes. Unfortunately this particular (EM) mobo version very rarely appears in web-searches (even on ECS's site), presumably as it is unique to Medion, and  intelligent BIOS tools (such as ECS's own) do not work with it. Medion itself doesn't seem to offer anything. Having read so many warnings about the serious consequences of wrongly updating BIOS settings, I am VERY cautious about attempting it (for the first time) unless it is absolutely necessary.

I hope this information (along with my thoughts) is sufficient to lead you to be able to confidently advise on GPU compatibility ASAP. [Unfortunately even the useful-looking on-line compatibility-checkers that I've recently discovered aren't of any help  - again because of the unique Medion mobo spec!]

Thanks for your input.

johninstalbans
Contributor
Message 9 of 43
Message 9 of 43

Sorry, the Monitor spec was for the wrong size! It should be: https://www.benq.com/en/monitor/designer/pd3200q/specifications.html

Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 10 of 43
Message 10 of 43

Hi @johninstalbans , 

I think it might not be a power problem or your BIOS version, but rather the type of BIOS that causes the problem. Most - if not all modern cards require an UEFI BIOS to work, while your system (considering the BIOS version is 8 years old) will most likely still have a legacy BIOS. 

Generally speaking, if your system originally came with Windows 7, it will probably have such a legacy BIOS, if it came with Windows 8 or higher, it wil likely be a UEFI BIOS. 

If you indeed have a legacy BIOS, I'm afraid there is no easy solution for it without replacing a lot of parts :(.

Kind regards,
Bart
42 REPLIES 42