Did you mean: 

Upgrade the ram on Medion MD6488 (Cybermaxx) Laptop

7 REPLIES 7
fozziebear
New Voice
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Upgrade the ram on Medion MD6488 (Cybermaxx) Laptop

I have inherited an old Medion MD6488 laptop that is badged as a Cybermaxx MD6488 Model Number FID 2040 Notebook PC. It has hardly been used but only runs 32 bit XP. I would like to put Linux on it but it only has 512Mb ram which is very limiting even with lite distros.

Does anyone know how to upgrade the memory on this Notebook PC? Alternatively can anyone point me to a service manual which shows how to disassemble it to get to the ram. The bottom case is solid with the exception of the removable battery and no obvious sign of where the Dimms are located. I was able to remove the keyboard and found the hard drive hidden underneath but no memory slots.

Also what is strange is that CPUid reports 512Mb ram but only one dimm slot containing 256Mb under SPD tab. Is this a motherboard with 256Mb soldered directly to the board?

Any help would be welcomed.

Fozzie

7 REPLIES 7
TPFLegionaire
Retired
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

hi @fozziebear 

Could you see if there is an MSN number somewhere on the laptop? (8 digits, usually at the back of the laptop on a sticker)

I have found this, not endorsing it but should help, obviously you decide if it is worth doing:
https://www.offtek.co.uk/medion/laptop-memory-upgrades/md-series/md6-series/md6488-ram

another look at tiny Linux distro in the meantime:
https://techlog360.com/best-lightweight-linux-distributions/

I couldn't fid any manuals for it yet, if you do find the MSN , it will help me in my request to Germany to see if they have anything in their archives.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

fozziebear
New Voice
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Hi TPFLegionaire,

Thanks for the reply. I already have some 512mb DDR PC2700 dimm modules from another laptop that are compatible thanks and I was planning to try Zorin Lite which has very low hardware requirements (CPU 700mhz 512Mb Ram) but the live distro still struggles with 512mb hence my need to try and upgrade. Below is photo of laptop and also one of labels on rear with all available information.

Many thanks Fozzie

Edit, Don't know why by photos are not displaying MSN is 30000840

fozziebear_0-1589717118763.png

IMG_1243.JPGIMG_1244.JPG

fozziebear
New Voice
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hi, TPFLegionaire

Did you manage to find any information from Germany using the MSN number below?

Fozzie

daddle
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

@fozziebear 

I couln't find in the Medion database, any Laptop with a the given MSN nor with the MD number. As far as I got a look into it.

But despite of this, if you can not reach the ram-slot under the keyboard, you will have to unscrew the complete bottom. Then you have to go around the base with a plastic spatula 

(pludger?), to loosen retaining plastic clips.

And yes, if CPUId reports one DImm slot only, you have to replace the 256 MB module.

In a MSI Netbook board it was even necessary (it had 512 MB soldered on board) to deactivate the soldered mainboard  memory, before I could  use the single ram-slot.

This was to be done in the bios.

Good luck, daddle

fozziebear
New Voice
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the reply Daddie and the information.

I dont think its worth the effort for the possible gain. I have two 256Mb dimms available and if I can physically only fit one I am no further forward. I think I'll try and find a Linux distro that can run comfortably on 256Mb ram.

Fozzie

daddle
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

@fozziebear  schrieb:

I already have some 512mb DDR PC2700 dimm modules from another laptop that are compatible thanks

You wrote this in Post 1.

Now you say you only have 256 MB dimm modules ???

daddle

fozziebear
New Voice
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

That was a typo. I meant I have 512mb in Dimms not two 512mb Dimms. My Bad !!!

Fozzie

7 REPLIES 7