22 RÉPONSES 22
Planeman653
Trainee
Message 1 sur 23
9 661 Visites
Message 1 sur 23
9 661 Visites

Screen freezes when trying to access boot menu

I'm trying to upgrade my pc from windows 32 to 64 bit. I want to boot a usb so i can install it but when i try to access the boot menu to change the boot priority, the screen just freezes.

Any help is appreciated!

Specs:

Akoya E4360 D

processor

Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor

motherboard

MS-7616 with 4 ddr3 supporting 16gb 1333/1066 mhz ram, pcie x16 & x1, 6 SATA II

memory

4GB

drives

1TB & DVD Writer

power supply

350w

ports

VGA, 6 rear and 2 front usb 2.0, 2 front audio(speaker and mic), DVI, HDMI, Keyboard And Mouse Ports, Ethernet

graphics

GeForce GT330

22 RÉPONSES 22
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 sur 23
4 266 Visites
Message 2 sur 23
4 266 Visites

@Planeman653 

With your given information we can not really support you properly.

@Planeman653  schrieb:

I'm trying to upgrade my pc from windows 32 to 64 bit. I want to boot a usb so i can install it but when i try to access the boot menu to change the boot priority, the screen just freezes.

Thus you can enter Bios? What do you mean "when I try to access boot menu". Clicking in Bios on the Boot tab?

Did you try pressing the F7 key ( maybe F8) while starting the PC  it shows you after post a list with the findings; is your HDD listed there?

Can you tell us if you want to upgrade Win 7 32 bit  to  Win 7 64 bit? And if yes  did you try it per Upgrade, or a complete new installation?

The new Installation is the only way you can switch from a 32 bit to a 64 bit Version. And you would need a product key for the 64-bit version.

Or was the machine delivered with a 64 bit DVD version as well? Pleas ename the MSN numbe rof your PC

Or do you want to install Win 10 or Win 11? If yes you firrst should delete the MBR partition scheme on your harddrive.  Win 10 will automtically in the progress of installation installs the necessary GPT Partititon scheme.

So you should save alll data from your D-Drive to a external drive. Tis applies for both; Win 7 --> Win 7 64 bit, or installing Win 10 /11.

To give you some more tips, you should at least replace the HDD with a 2.5" SSD. It's worthwhile because it speeds your PC up at least 4-5 times faster in its reactions, and also in boottime about  3 times faster. 

Second you could upgrade your RAM  to 8 GB (2x4 GB), because 64. bit versions support more than the 4 installed GB, only 3.2 -  3.4 GB from 4 GB is used with a 32 bit version. All Windows 64-bit versons definitely benefits from more RAM. 

Cheers, daddle

Planeman653
Trainee
Message 3 sur 23
4 259 Visites
Message 3 sur 23
4 259 Visites

Hi daddle,
No i am unable to enter bios/boot menu. The screen is just frozen at the Medion screen. I Pressed f8 as instructed by the screen(Press f8 to run boot menu.) I Want to upgrade from windows 10-32 bit to 64 bit and i have a product key available. I don't think that the pc cam with any dvd of any sort. The msn number is 001 3596. Finally, your bottom 2 solutions, i have already completed but just didn't tell you. My bad... I will install windows on the ssd once i can boot from the usb successfully.

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 sur 23
4 248 Visites
Message 4 sur 23
4 248 Visites

@Planeman653 

Maybe you press the Esc or Del  button too late?

With my PC the Medion Logo only shows after  POST.

Try tapping rythmically the tab as soon as you pressed the Power button. 

@Planeman653  schrieb:

I Want to upgrade from windows 10-32 bit to 64 bit and i have a product key available. 

Finally, your bottom 2 solutions, i have already completed but just didn't tell you. My bad... I will install windows on the ssd once i can boot from the usb successfully.

Just for Information, you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version. You have to do a complete new installation with a 64-bit installation stick.

@Planeman653  schrieb:

Finally, your bottom 2 solutions, i have already completed but just didn't tell you. My bad... I will install windows on the ssd once i can boot from the usb successfully.

The two hints were to double the RAM SIZE , and to install a SSD instead of the HDD.

So you say you upgraded your RAM as well? 

Did this "not being able to enter Boot menu" happens just after you upgraded the RAM? Did you do a RAM test?

And what happened with the original installation  on the HDD? Did you clone it to the SSD? And after that, did the SSD boot ?

Try the installation with the two original ram modules installed only. Can you enter Bios then?

daddle

Planeman653
Trainee
Message 5 sur 23
4 242 Visites
Message 5 sur 23
4 242 Visites

Hi daddle,

I was pressing the f8 key before the medion screen so i wasn't pressing the button late. For me the medion logo shows after the fans are spinning at top speed(the screen is blank for a bit). I have also tried rhythmically tapping the tab and f8 as soon as i hit the power button and the screen still froze. I am 100% aware that i need to do a clean re-install of windows to get 64 bit. This issue also happened with the original ram before any of the upgrades. The ssd is just there so i can install windows on it one i boot from my usb. Would you like me to clone the hdd to the ssd and boot from it?

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 sur 23
4 224 Visites
Message 6 sur 23
4 224 Visites

@Planeman653

@Planeman653  schrieb:
(.....)

I have also tried rhythmically tapping the tab and f8 as soon as i hit the power button and the screen still froze.

Did you try in the past to install a different operating system?

And do you manage to get into Bios by pressing the Esc or Del key. Sorry if you answered this question already.

@Planeman653  schrieb:

. Would you like me to clone the hdd to the ssd and boot from it?

No, but you can try. Thus you can login to Windows 7 as usual ?

@Planeman653  schrieb:

I don't think that the pc cam(e) with any dvd of any sort. 

It came even with two DVDs, one for 32 bit Windows, one for 64-bit Windows.

Often those PCs used to have two recover images, and you could swap the C-Partitition  to a 64-bit Windows version., or vice versa.

MSN DVD 32-bit Windows --> 20043020

MSN DVD 64-bit Windows --> 20043327

Do you still possess the original 1 TB HDD? Do you live in Australia? What happens if you take this HDD, disconnect the SSD, and try to reach the Boot menu with the F8 (or F7) key,  or go to the boot page in Bios.

A USB Stick must be inserted before you switch the PC on, only than the POST can recognize it and it will be seen and initiated.

Could you provide the MSN number, then we know exactly which model you have and how it was equipped.

I would disconnect momentarily the boot disk, and try to boot from a special USB Stick (see below)  as the only connected boot medium..Just for testings sake.

This Stick you can make with a Microsoft tool ----> MediaCreationTool

The stick must have 8 GB in size, you have to mark "For another PC" and  "64-bit Version"

If you can boot from this special stick, switch your PC off again,  reconnect your disk and try to boot from the USB stick. You can set it in first position on the boot page in Bios, I think it are the F5 and F6 tabs, to move the iteems. But it is explained at the bottom line in the bios page.

And you must choose the item USB harddisk (or some similar naming).

Cheers daddle

Planeman653
Trainee
Message 7 sur 23
4 218 Visites
Message 7 sur 23
4 218 Visites

Hi daddle,

I have solved 1 of our 2 problems. I booted from the usb by disconnecting the hard drive and installing windows on my PC. Now our main priority will be actually getting into bios to change my ram settings. Thanks for your help and persistance so far!

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 sur 23
4 216 Visites
Message 8 sur 23
4 216 Visites

@Planeman653  schrieb:

Hi daddle,

I have solved 1 of our 2 problems. I booted from the usb by disconnecting the hard drive and installing windows on my PC. 

@Planeman653

From which USB did you boot? As i suggested? Calling the Bootmenu with the F8 Tab?

How and on which drive did you install Windows? Disconnected the HDD, and left the SSD connected_

Look, if you aren't more elaborate and if you don't explain in more detail what you did, I can not help you any further.

daddle

Planeman653
Trainee
Message 9 sur 23
4 212 Visites
Message 9 sur 23
4 212 Visites

Hi daddle,

The usb i booted from was the one created from the Microsoft media creation tool. I did it by unplugging the hard drive leading the boot priorities(which i can't access yet still there) to number 2 which was the usb. I then followed the on screen prompts to install it on the ssd, which was plugged in. After the installation, i unplugged the usb and then turned on the pc again. Now the pc had to boot from any remaining bootable things, which was the ssd and that is how i installed 64bit on my PC. Hope this info helps!

daddle
Superuser
Message 10 sur 23
4 208 Visites
Message 10 sur 23
4 208 Visites

@Planeman653

So in fact you still did  booting from the HDD, this you didn't tell before.  So something is wrong with the boot loader on it. Thats why I advised to disconnect  the disks. Nice to see it did help. 

Did you fiddle around with Linux before? Which killed the bootloader on the HDD?

You said you had followed my tips about doubling the RAM and installing a SSD already before, so I did  assume you used the SSD already for booting, because it's much faster than a HDD.  

@Planeman653  schrieb:

Hope this info helps!

It never was me who  needed help!  😎

So now you can repartition and format the HDD to see after if it is intact to be used as a second drive for data storage.

If you still have to rescue data from the HDD, connect it first externally with an USB-Adapter.(or maybe it works also intern, now that you you have a booting device). Maybe you can copy some data, especially from the former  D-Partition, most probably now E. And the old C-drive if it is seen wlll most probably appear as drive D.

If the SSD has one  partititon C:\

daddle

22 RÉPONSES 22