Did you mean: 

Medion Desktop - 8VNSLQR running W10 Pro, needs to be W10 home, reset advice

2 REPLIES 2
Makembill
Beginner
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Medion Desktop - 8VNSLQR running W10 Pro, needs to be W10 home, reset advice

My father bought a Medion Desktop with W7 operating system, 64bit. He then had an upgrade to W8 and soon after to W10. He found it too difficult to manage so he hived the PC off to me. 

I plugged it in but am plagued by "Activate Windows"messages. Windows was always activated previously.

I have retrieved the key and tried to activate but it appears that the W10 operating system installed is W10 Pro and should be W10 Home. 

I imagine I'm going to have to atempt a complete re-install but am unsure about how to do this and whether it will install with W10 pro or home. 

I'm not very PC techie savvy so would appreciate any advice you could offer.

I have no recovery disc but there is a partitioned hard drive. 

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Hi @Makembill

The recovery partition will contain the original Windows 7 installation when the PC was originally delivered with Windows 7. 

You can make your own recovery media for Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool.

With this you can make an installation USB stick or DVD and install Windows 10 from scratch. 

Kind regards,
Bart
Makembill
Beginner
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Thanks for getting back to me Bart.

I'm not technically minded. I can use the front end of the PC fine, but the guts are eft well alone. So, I ask in total naivety, if I was to make a DVD in the Media Creation Tool (hope it's straight forward Smiley Happy), would that not just replicate the Windows 10 Pro that is already on or do I get to select W10 home?

I'm not at all sure how my father managed to install W10Pro anyway, but I#m obvbiously trying to change that to home. 

Am I correct that this will wipe all files currently on this PC when I run the new installation.

Thanks again

Billy

2 REPLIES 2